Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Belpedio is a Sr., he's going to be a tough one to sign........ ask Columbus about Mike Reilly !
No benefit for him to sign when his season ends.
Yeah he seems pretty iffy at this point. Still, right-shot D is still something of an organizational need and this has been a pretty good system for college defensemen to come up in. So I dunno.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Thanks to both of you. We need to get them both in more of an offensive mindset, so good to hear of some scoring right away. I hope they both stay down there for a while.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah he seems pretty iffy at this point. Still, right-shot D is still something of an organizational need and this has been a pretty good system for college defensemen to come up in. So I dunno.

I don't think any team is going to offer him an NHL spot outright, so he's going to have to fight for a spot no matter what. And like you said, not a lot of RHD sitting in front of him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks to both of you. We need to get them both in more of an offensive mindset, so good to hear of some scoring right away. I hope they both stay down there for a while.
Your welcome. But I disagree I’m of the opinion that they didn’t get to play with offensive players for a long enough Eriksson-Ek didn’t get to play with offensive players at all and that the lineup would be better with them in it so Coyle doesn’t have to play with fourth Liners.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Your welcome. But I disagree I’m of the opinion that they didn’t get to play with offensive players for a long enough Eriksson-Ek didn’t get to play with offensive players at all and that the lineup would be better with them in it so Coyle doesn’t have to play with fourth Liners.
Yeah they certainly were in a tough spot playing with 4th-line caliber players, so if Ek could play with Coyle and Parise (eventually), I'm sure he'd look much better.

Reactions: Nharris31

Wabit

May 23, 2016
All CHLers are only 2 years worth of rights. But he doesn't become UFA if he doesn't sign, he'd just go back in the draft as an over-ager. Unlikely that'll happen.

You don't think some other team would give up a 7th round pick for him at least?

Didn't the Wild lose Reid Duke's rights due to him reentering the draft? He became a UFA and signed with Vegas.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You don't think some other team would give up a 7th round pick for him at least?

Didn't the Wild lose Reid Duke's rights due to him reentering the draft? He became a UFA and signed with Vegas.

The Wild "lost" Reid Duke's rights, because they didn't want to sign him. They didn't give him a contract offer. He became a UFA after he re-entered the draft, and was not drafted in 2016. So 30 NHL teams thought Duke wasn't worth a 7th rounder.

I'd suspect we could trade him for a 7th, but it's more likely that he signs assuming the Wild don't completely low ball him on potential bonuses.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Sokolov is interesting though. The Wild misjudged Reid Duke (no great loss, but he had value to someone at least) and they won't want to do that again. But Sokolov's contract won't slide and they have to sign - or at least you'd assume they would want to - Belpedio and Greenway. So again you're looking at sitting tight to the 50-contract limit. I mean, I assume that Cullen retires and Quincey is obviously gone and subtract guys like Labbé, Vay, Lucia and Palmquist who were somewhat odd signings to begin with, but you're still not left with the kind of flexibility every other team has. No big deal I guess, I'd personally prefer a bit more cap space, a bit more contract space.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not too worried about Sokolov not signing. The only reason he wouldn't sign is if he specifically doesn't want to play for Minnesota. Him doing that, though, runs the risk of Minnesota just drafting him again, forcing him to either leave America to play pro hockey, or to just sign with them. I'm significantly more nervous about Belpedio and Greenway, guys who have significantly more leverage when it comes to their player rights.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Belpedio yes - Greenway I would expect to sign if BU continues their middling ways.

OTOH, Belpedio could see opportunity here given that the Wild play guys like Quincey and Prosser.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sokolov is interesting though. The Wild misjudged Reid Duke (no great loss, but he had value to someone at least) and they won't want to do that again. But Sokolov's contract won't slide and they have to sign - or at least you'd assume they would want to - Belpedio and Greenway. So again you're looking at sitting tight to the 50-contract limit. I mean, I assume that Cullen retires and Quincey is obviously gone and subtract guys like Labbé, Vay, Lucia and Palmquist who were somewhat odd signings to begin with, but you're still not left with the kind of flexibility every other team has. No big deal I guess, I'd personally prefer a bit more cap space, a bit more contract space.

The wild didn't misjudge anything on Reid Duke. Literally every single team in the league passed on him in a redraft.

He's a trivia answer, first player to sign with Vegas because they had nothing, and needed to back fill a farm system. He's still never going to play in the NHL. He'd be just another body that's taking up a contract spot, that in you're complaining we don't have the flexibility for.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
How has anyone misjudged Reid Duke? He sucks.

He sucks? He scored 30+ twice in the WHL, is that something you've accomplished or bested?

Reid Duke was worth something to George McPhee or he wouldn't have signed him, is all I'm saying there. An NHL GM offered him money to play hockey professionally. Not qo'ing Duke was no loss to the Wild system maybe talent-wise but they've signed Dylan Labbe, Chase Lang, Pavel Jenys, Mario Lucia, Kurtis Gabriel, Brady Brassart and on and on... guys who are not even legit AHL talents. Maybe Duke isn't either but it's fair to question how they look at these kids, especially when another GM takes a chance.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He sucks? He scored 30+ twice in the WHL, is that something you've accomplished or bested?

Reid Duke was worth something to George McPhee or he wouldn't have signed him, is all I'm saying there. An NHL GM offered him money to play hockey professionally. Not qo'ing Duke was no loss to the Wild system maybe talent-wise but they've signed Dylan Labbe, Chase Lang, Pavel Jenys, Mario Lucia, Kurtis Gabriel, Brady Brassart and on and on... guys who are not even legit AHL talents. Maybe Duke isn't either but it's fair to question how they look at these kids, especially when another GM takes a chance.

Mario Lucia scored 40+ in the BCHL, is that something you've accomplished or bested?

Clearly, nobody here has any real NHL, or professional hockey, talent, otherwise we wouldn't be browsing a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad