Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Alright, added the tables back, and updated stats.

I just took the names off the Wild prospects page here, so I would assume it's a relatively complete list. But, if anybody needs to be added or removed, let me know!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Biggest thing that stuck out to me was Sokolov. The last two years he has had more goals than assists, and a horribly negative +/-

This year so far, his g/a ratio is about even, and he is positive. Seems like those are both encouraging signs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Biggest thing that stuck out to me was Sokolov. The last two years he has had more goals than assists, and a horribly negative +/-

This year so far, his g/a ratio is about even, and he is positive. Seems like those are both encouraging signs.
And he had 2+2 just last night. Still seems like a wildcard to play in Minnesota, but he's a fun prospect to follow.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll also say, for a team that doesn't draft many Russians, using a 5th on Kaprizov, a 6th on Svetlakov and a 7th on Sokolov are looking like great investments.

Reactions: FVM

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for updating it the list!

Things I'm noticing:
Brennen Menell has slowed down offensively and his +/- has been atrocious this month, but that's not surprising given that he's a rookie pro.

Every NCAA player has underwhelmed me so far this season, except Swaney and Belpedio. That said I still have hopes for Sadek and Greenway. High hopes in the case of Greenway, and just medium hopes for Sadek. For what it's worth, I think if Greenway jumped into juniors like Coyle did, his scoring would probably go up like Coyle's did, as a man among boys. I don't think his scoring numbers a great indicator of his future. That impression of mine is due to watching other big bodied NCAA players who have taken off once they've hit pros, after having relatively unremarkable NCAA careers.

I can't speak much to the junior players, but I think Cory Stillman might be a good influence for Sokolov, as long as Socks listens to him. I also noticed that Lodnia is putting up good offense this year, in his new upper 6 role. Good!

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
If you have an The athletic subscription there is a good story on Sokolov with somebody who actually worked with him.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If you have an The athletic subscription there is a good story on Sokolov with somebody who actually worked with him.

Not an entirely unbiased perspective, but a very interesting one, nonetheless. I think my respect for that kid just went up a notch. On top of that, I think he'll be a heck of a pro, either in the NHL, AHL, or KHL. I really hope it's the NHL, though, as he's got a skill-set this team has needed for a very long time. I also have no idea how Sokolov can be accurate with his shot, while not rolling his wrists. That is incredible to me. Has anyone here actually tried that technique? I think this winter I'm going to give it a go on the outdoor rinks and see what happens. Probably the puck will come off my stick dead, and nowhere near where I want it to go, but let's find out!

As an aside, I played goalie growing up, and there was a kid on my team with a "heavy" shot. I loved practicing. I loved everything about it except for two things: skating drills (goalie pads are really big), and facing that kids shot. It hurt every fracking time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
As an aside, I played goalie growing up, and there was a kid on my team with a "heavy" shot. I loved practicing. I loved everything about it except for two things: skating drills (goalie pads are really big), and facing that kids shot. It hurt every fracking time.
I still don't understand the difference between "heavy" and "hard", as someone who has never played.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I still don't understand the difference between "heavy" and "hard", as someone who has never played.

Being honest, there is no difference. It would violate the laws of physics. I've never seen a slow, hard shot, and I've never seen a fast, weak shot. I know what she's talking about though, that some players just have this next-level smoke on their shot that stings whoever it hits. The only Wild players I remember having shots that hard are Rolston, MA Bergeron, and Dumba. I'm probably forgetting a few, but we haven't had many players who shoot the puck like that.

*Edit* Kurtis Foster was another.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hard is hard. "heavy" has to do with the amount of spin a player creates on his shot. The more spin you can put on a puck, the harder it will feel when it hits you even the speed is similar.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
That Athletic article on Sokolov explains the heavy/hard thing as well, and provides some interesting video looks at what he does. (It's so worth the money.) It was a bit of a rosy piece but even she had to acknowledge that his commitment to fitness is just not great. Worrisome to me.

Nick Swaney should be back this weekend against Mankato. Definitely one of the prospect bright spots before he got hurt.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
That Athletic article on Sokolov explains the heavy/hard thing as well, and provides some interesting video looks at what he does. (It's so worth the money.) It was a bit of a rosy piece but even she had to acknowledge that his commitment to fitness is just not great. Worrisome to me.

Nick Swaney should be back this weekend against Mankato. Definitely one of the prospect bright spots before he got hurt.
Meh that’s more of stereotype IMO. You can’t teach what he has.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Meh that’s more of stereotype IMO. You can’t teach what he has.

What's a stereotype? Read the article. But here's a snippet. This is a direct quote from the author, one of his coaches: "Is he in the best shape possible, no." There's a lot of positive stuff in there obviously, but that makes me worry. You kind of have to be in the "best shape possible" to be an NHL player these days, heavy shot or not.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
What's a stereotype? Read the article. But here's a snippet. This is a direct quote from the author, one of his coaches: "Is he in the best shape possible, no." There's a lot of positive stuff in there obviously, but that makes me worry. You kind of have to be in the "best shape possible" to be an NHL player these days, heavy shot or not.
Kessel disagrees. That’s how Russians get stereotyped. That don’t they don’t work so they must not be in great shape.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kessel disagrees. That’s how Russians get stereotyped. That don’t they don’t work so they must not be in great shape.

Kessel isn't really out of shape though, he's 6' ~200 lbs. He just looks fat and bloated. I read somewhere awhile ago that it's because of the keep the cancer away drugs he's on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It would if he'd play better.

I dunno, last year Vesey started out really strong for the NYR then fell off as the season wore on. I'd like to see where he is after the 40 and 60 games mark. He's been picking up a lot of points on the PP, and played decent in the d-zone.

I was mentioned him when he was hitting UFA status, the general consensus here was meh. He'd probably be in Iowa right now if Minny had grabbed him. It would have been between him and Reilly for the last NHL roster spot on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad