Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How many teams DO have the depth for that?

Besides, we've lost one regulation game with this depleted roster. Why the doom and gloom attitude from everyone?

It's not like the team knew that Parise had back problems. Or that teams will get hit with injuries. Or the fact they have no right wing depth in the AHL at all. Nope, they were oblivious to all of this.

It's not just the depleted roster, the team is 2 2 and 2. And it's been proven that any slow starts can kill a team. This team has also struggled heavily with closing during the second half of the season.

As for teams? Ottawa has MacArthur, White, Harpur, Borowiecki, Smith and Bobby Ryan all out and they are sitting third in their division.

St Louis has Bouwmeester, Parayko and Fabbri out and they were hit with a lot of injuries last year. They still beat us. The Goldek Knights have Stoner, Clarkson, Graboski, Marchessault, Fleury, Haula and Subban all out and their in first place. Jes have Hendricks, Lowry, Perreault and Kulikov all out as well and they beat us.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm not really seeing any teams missing four potential 25-goal scorers there. We're six games into the season, we've played one home game, played the fewest number of games in the league, and half of the offense is out. I'm not going to waste my time worrying about our AHL RW depth. The team will be fine. There are 76 games left in the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's not like the team knew that Parise had back problems. Or that teams will get hit with injuries. Or the fact they have no right wing depth in the AHL at all. Nope, they were oblivious to all of this.

It's not just the depleted roster, the team is 2 2 and 2. And it's been proven that any slow starts can kill a team. This team has also struggled heavily with closing during the second half of the season.

As for teams? Ottawa has MacArthur, White, Harpur, Borowiecki, Smith and Bobby Ryan all out and they are sitting third in their division.

St Louis has Bouwmeester, Parayko and Fabbri out and they were hit with a lot of injuries last year. They still beat us. The Goldek Knights have Stoner, Clarkson, Graboski, Marchessault, Fleury, Haula and Subban all out and their in first place. Jes have Hendricks, Lowry, Perreault and Kulikov all out as well and they beat us.
This really isn't a slow start. What Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo and Montreal are doing is a slow start.

We're just treating some water while we try get healthy. Last year through 6 games we were 3-2-1. Not much different than 2-2-2.

Reactions: 2Pair

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah it sucks we aren't getting a lot of wins yet but points in 4 of 6 games is not horrible considering the circumstances.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
But this is the prospects thread. The prospects in the NHL have been good I believe, but you expect that from your first rounders at this point. Losing Tuch might prove to be a big mistake and I also think not having a 2013 impact player might be as well. But Olofsson might prove to be a capable middle-pair caliber player by season's end and that would mitigate that. So as far as a team can control things - getting your first round picks into the NHL and having them be decent - the GM has done what he can. The problem with the Wild has been after the first that they seem to draft for depth sometimes (Kaprizov and Sokolov are notable exceptions). I'd prefer an approach that drafts for skill and turns those players into depth if they don't develop as projected. They were better about this last year maybe because of the lack of 1st rounders.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Has anyone seen Salituro (the guy we got for Schroeder) play? I'm not even sure if he's in the AHL or ECHL.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Has anyone seen Salituro (the guy we got for Schroeder) play? I'm not even sure if he's in the AHL or ECHL.

He started on assignment in the ECHL and got called up for two games in Iowa so far. Didn't see him a lot in junior but he got scouted because he was playing in Ottawa with Travis Konecny. He's almost a poor man's Konecny if he hits on everything. He's small, like 5'8 and not super fast but has hockey skills.

ISS did rank him 167 in the 2015 draft and had some good things to say: "Small, offensive player. Quicker than fast, he's a 'darter' in short distances. Give and go player. Can make offensive plays to create chances. Very creative. Not great defensively."

I'd rank him a decent risk, just about a ppg in the OHL and scored 37 and 38 goals in his last two seasons. We'll see.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Random thought today. When does Kahkonen become a UFA? Is it July 1st or sometime in August?

The Wild are at 49/50 contract slots, right now. Is it even possible to sign both Greenway and Kahkonen without making other roster moves?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Random thought today. When does Kahkonen become a UFA? Is it July 1st or sometime in August?

The Wild are at 49/50 contract slots, right now. Is it even possible to sign both Greenway and Kahkonen without making other roster moves?

Well, Koivu is going to be 1.25 cheaper. Cullen (1.7), Stewart (1.15), Quincey (1.25) and Winnik (.660) come off, too. Finally, Vanek's buyout, mercifully, comes off the cap (2.5). Dumba and Zucker will need to be re-signed, probably earning raises of - and this is highly speculative and variable to change - $1.5 and $2.5 million respectively. So, that's $8.51 million freed up, and $4 million of that immediately eaten by Zucker and Dumba. If Olofsson can completely replace Quincey in the lineup, forcing either he or another lefty to play right defense (Brodin?), we can just fly Soucey around between Iowa and Minnesota when there are injuries, making his cap hit much smaller than the 0.925 it would be if he were up permanently. That leaves us only running 6 defensemen, which means if an injury happened during a back-to-back, we'd probably have to play with 5 sometimes, instead of the full lineup. So, pretending injuries never occur, which is highly unrealistic, we've got 8.51-4= 4.51 million to fill out the forwards with. We have 11 NHL forwards under contract next off-season (this counts Ferrero as the Winnik replacement, as they have nearly identical contracts).

$4.5 million is enough to sign both, especially since it's unlikely either one would be in the NHL full time, much less both of them. Stalock is still on contract next season, but he could be waived (he would need to be waived, right?) and sent to Iowa if Kahkonen can beat him out for a backup spot. Next season is going to be another tight cap season, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if my Zucker+Dumba estimate is low, which would give us less than that $4.5 million to work with. It's also enough room to sign another Quincey type of defender, and a lower end 4th line center. If we do that, we're probably sitting at around $2 million in space left. That's a lot more space than we have this season, but it's still not great, and may be prohibitive. And of course as I mentioned, if Zucker+Dumba eat up more like 3 million of it, we're right back in the same boat as this season.

All info I used for this was from capfriendly.com and nhlnumbers.com. I trust that their info is accurate, so any mistakes are probably due to my limited understanding of how cap hits work. I also did this math using a static, non changing NHL salary cap.

*edit* I just saw the news that Dumba has re-signed for 5.1 AAV. That is more than I anticipated. I had him at a $1.5 raise, and this raise is actually $2.55 (double his current deal). So of that $2 million I was guessing we would have, that estimate just went down to about $1 million, and may well go lower with Zucker's signing. Our 4th line next year may be composed of rookies and bottom of the barrel veterans.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
*edit* I just saw the news that Dumba has re-signed for 5.1 AAV. That is more than I anticipated. I had him at a $1.5 raise, and this raise is actually $2.55 (double his current deal). So of that $2 million I was guessing we would have, that estimate just went down to about $1 million, and may well go lower with Zucker's signing. Our 4th line next year may be composed of rookies and bottom of the barrel veterans.
Link?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Whoops, you guys are right, he didn't. That was the total number on his old contract. Makes sense why it was 2x what his current AAV is, since it was for 2 years. Scared myself there. I really hope he doesn't cost that much this next season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kaprizov has been invited to Russia NT for the Karjala Cup; Svetlakov has been invited to Russia NT B-team for the Deutschland Cup.

Is that surprising? I kind of figured he was a shoo-in, so is this just they formally named the team and he is on it. Or was he an outside shot (because of his age) and made the team?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I posted an update recently for the college guys in the college thread. KK the Russian and KK the Finn are discussed pretty regularly and both putting up nice numbers. Other than them, only Lodnia's really having a decent season: up over the ppg mark (19 in 18). Kind of disappointing to see that Jacob Golden still has almost zero offense but he's a long ways off.

Also, Pontus Själin has one goal and one assist in 16 games for Luleå.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I posted an update recently for the college guys in the college thread. KK the Russian and KK the Finn are discussed pretty regularly and both putting up nice numbers. Other than them, only Lodnia's really having a decent season: up over the ppg mark (19 in 18). Kind of disappointing to see that Jacob Golden still has almost zero offense but he's a long ways off.

Also, Pontus Själin has one goal and one assist in 16 games for Luleå.
Read Pronman article on KK of finland he said other NHL teams are showing interest in him.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Read Pronman article on KK of finland he said other NHL teams are showing interest in him.

ThatGuy22 also pointed out that Kahkonen might not want to come to North America knowing he's number three in the system and likely to play for Iowa, which he would be, barring injury. They could presumably sign him and loan him in Finland. It's hard to imagine he has much more value than the fourth round pick he cost the club initially, but I can't understand why they would not sign him.

Vay is not the answer, can't imagine he's around next season. Svedberg is UFA, and Michalek who has had a tough start to the season is an RFA with arbitration rights. I'm glad they signed Baribeau, who can turn pro next season, but again there are question marks all over.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
ThatGuy22 also pointed out that Kahkonen might not want to come to North America knowing he's number three in the system and likely to play for Iowa, which he would be, barring injury. They could presumably sign him and loan him in Finland. It's hard to imagine he has much more value than the fourth round pick he cost the club initially, but I can't understand why they would not sign him.

Vay is not the answer, can't imagine he's around next season. Svedberg is UFA, and Michalek who has had a tough start to the season is an RFA with arbitration rights. I'm glad they signed Baribeau, who can turn pro next season, but again there are question marks all over.

Yeah, goalies are hard to value, so it's tough to say if he's still worth only the 4th or not. You're probably right, though. Nobody pays an arm and a leg for a goalie that hasn't played in NA yet. That said, if he does come over here and is still impressing, he'll suddenly be worth more than a 4th. I'd hate to lose KK just because we signed Stalock for a year too long for his liking, as I think KK may be the best goalie prospect we've had since Kuemper/Hackett, and maybe since Harding. For as much as people used to think this team had goaltending depth, they've never really actually produced any. Got to keep the promising ones if we ever want to.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
So...there are some real crickets in this thread.

Not that I've been around much this year. Marriage and job change does that.

How are our younger guys doing? There are no stats to see on page one....I saw someone else having that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad