Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds speculative from Pronman. Not sure why the Wild wouldn't sign him but they really can't do it right now with the 50-contract limit. (Worth asking why Adam Vay, for one, has a contract before KK.) Kahkonen would immediately be the number three guy in the system when he signs.

I'm sure others noticed but nice production off the bat for Nick Swaney over the weekend with a couple of assists.

Wouldn't be shocking at all to me if KK doesn't have much interest in riding buses in the AHL and fighting for playing time, when he's got a starting spot at home in Liiga where he'd make comparable money to the AHL portion of an ELC, and is close to being a UFA that can pick the best opportunity for himself.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Do you think the Wild have tried and failed to sign him? Hope they can get a 3rd rounder for him if that's the case. Seems like less than ideal asset management.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does KK have a shot at the Olympic team? That is a much bigger deal in Finland (I've heard) than it is to US fans/players.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Does KK have a shot at the Olympic team? That is a much bigger deal in Finland (I've heard) than it is to US fans/players.

Ouch. I think I'd put the US winning the Olympic Gold Medal for Ice Hockey right up near the Wild winning the Stanley Cup. Neither one has been achieved in my lifetime, and every time we've gotten anywhere near either, I've gone hockey crazy. Not that I can generalize my own experience to all Americans, but I just don't see, in my own observations, the validity of that argument when it comes to the Olympics. Now, I think that statement is entirely true about literally every other International competition, but USA goes crazy over the Olympics, both Summer and Winter. More-so Summer, of course, but at that point it's like asking is your oven hot at 400 degrees or 450? Man, we're hot for the Olympics no matter the temperature.

I'm actually pretty pumped that we may see some of the better European Pro's and NHL prospects at the Olympics. I don't like USA's chances against Russia, Sweden or Finland in this one, but it'll be fun to watch.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

If he does, it's gonna be a long shot.

Right now, the frontrunners in roster speculations for the GK spots are:

Mikko Koskinen
Joni Ortio

And one of Atte Engren/Karri Rämö/Tomi Karhunen/Eero Kilpeläinen.

My guess is that Koskinen is a lock, and Ortio is quite likely in as well. The third spot is anyone's guess, and of course injuries can always happen (but hopefully don't).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
A couple prospect articles of note: Pronman's review of the 2014 Draft at the Athletic (paywall but I swear it's absolutely worth it). Wild get a C grade which seems generous.

And Ryan Kennedy lists his top 75 NCAA players to watch this season. Greenway obviously makes the list but the other Wild prospect might surprise people.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And Ryan Kennedy lists his top 75 NCAA players to watch this season. Greenway obviously makes the list but the other Wild prospect might surprise people.

All I can think of are Sadek and Duhaime as (surprising) college prospects off the top of my head.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
All I can think of are Sadek and Duhaime as (surprising) college prospects off the top of my head.

The guy he keyed on was Bryce Misley (Vermont). Hope to see him live at some point this season. But the Wild always have a few college guys - in addition to the ones you mentioned who could make great progress this season.

I also think Belpedio can show he's still a prospect. Nick Boka, Avery Peterson, Nick Swaney are the other guys around the NCAA. I'm biased a bit for Swaney to work out but Brent Flahr had I think some really promising words about him at the draft. Sometimes these kids with September birthdays get overlooked.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Off the top of my head, below were two chances in which Swaney, #23 in white, was a Glover left skate and an on-target shot from potting a goal or two vs Minnesota:

Reactions: Minnesota

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think it's safe to say that at this point, Lucia is a major bust.

Not that major, but it does appear unlikely he'll play the majority of this season in the NHL. 25 in August, a longshot to get another contract from Fletcher probably. With his size and speed I'd say a career for a few years in Europe is on the horizon. I envy him.

I do think this GM learned a lesson about moving picks in the draft. But 2011 was kind of a weird one where the (arguably) five best players from outside the first round (Kucherov, Gaudreau, Saad, Gibson, Palat) almost overshadow the five best from the first (Scheifele, Nugent-Hopkins, Rakell, Landeskog, Larsson).

Not a great draft for the Wild to miss on the some of the surprising depth while also missing on first and second rounders.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think it's safe to say that at this point, Lucia is a major bust.

The same draft as Zach Phillips. A #60 OA pick isn't anywhere near a sure thing.

He was having a decent AHL year last year until he got hurt. I doubt he'll ever see more than an emergency callup sometimeif he's had a good week in the AHL. A bust, sure, but I wouldn't say he's a major bust.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not that major, but it does appear unlikely he'll play the majority of this season in the NHL. 25 in August, a longshot to get another contract from Fletcher probably. With his size and speed I'd say a career for a few years in Europe is on the horizon. I envy him.

I do think this GM learned a lesson about moving picks in the draft. But 2011 was kind of a weird one where the (arguably) five best players from outside the first round (Kucherov, Gaudreau, Saad, Gibson, Palat) almost overshadow the five best from the first (Scheifele, Nugent-Hopkins, Rakell, Landeskog, Larsson).

Not a great draft for the Wild to miss on the some of the surprising depth while also missing on first and second rounders.

I think Scheifele gets underrated a lot due the the fact he plays in Winnipeg and gets almost no press. He had an 82p season last year and finished 7th in scoring.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lucia never did much for me , and I made a point of watching Irish games, as they had a few players I was interested in. He had size, and a shot, but never seemed to have the motor. Reminded me of Tuch, in a way.

He also had a pretty severe knee injury early on in college, or was it a broken leg? Sometimes a bad injury takes the heart out of a player.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think Scheifele gets underrated a lot due the the fact he plays in Winnipeg and gets almost no press. He had an 82p season last year and finished 7th in scoring.

I don't know about the lack of press. I mainly read Canadian outlets though where he gets a lot of recognition. He could well be the best from that class, my point was that guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau are in the mix as well, whereas highly touted first rounders like Zack Phillips are not.

And yes, Lucia did break a leg right before college. Had a solid freshman campaign and four-year career but never found a higher gear. Maybe this season he finds it but either way I'm sure he'll end up ok.

Can't blame him that Fletcher traded a pick that most likely would have been Brandon Saad for a few games of Chuck Kobasew. And then doubled down.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Lucia never did much for me , and I made a point of watching Irish games, as they had a few players I was interested in. He had size, and a shot, but never seemed to have the motor. Reminded me of Tuch, in a way.

He also had a pretty severe knee injury early on in college, or was it a broken leg? Sometimes a bad injury takes the heart out of a player.
Yeah, I'm the same way. He never really stood out to me at all in college. Was never expecting him to ever make the Wild roster in a meaningful way.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

For me, Fletcher double downed on Lucia, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to him having connections in Minnesota. Only Alexander Ruutu, Rasmus Bengtsson haven't been called up. That second round was loaded. Minnesota made a huge mistake and trading a 2nd rounder for Kobasew and then not trading Kobasew for anything. I mean they had a chance to pick up Victor Rask, Brandon Saad, Markus Granlund, Christopher Gibson, William Karlsson or Nikita Kucherov. you also had depth guys in the third round that are starting to play. The 2011 was loaded.

I'm sorry, but the chicken has come home to roost and this season's failures are on Fletcher.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
well i was happy going into this season with our roster , however someday CF has to be accountable for all his draft mistakes.

Roster looked good, but depth wasn't there. I mean yeah we got hit with top 4 going down, but still.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Roster looked good, but depth wasn't there. I mean yeah we got hit with top 4 going down, but still.
How many teams DO have the depth for that?

Besides, we've lost one regulation game with this depleted roster. Why the doom and gloom attitude from everyone?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How many teams DO have the depth for that?

Besides, we've lost one regulation game with this depleted roster. Why the doom and gloom attitude from everyone?
Are you new here or something? I thought you knew that the moment this team isn't on a winning streak, it's instantly "The Sky is Falling!" around here.

Reactions: Wild11MN

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Svetlakov with 7pts in 12gp in KHL along with 6pts in 3gp in the VHL.

Seems like a pretty good start for him so far. Is he possibly coming over to NA soon, or is he going to stick in the KHL (contract purposes) for a few more years?

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Svetlakov with 7pts in 12gp in KHL along with 6pts in 3gp in the VHL.

Seems like a pretty good start for him so far. Is he possibly coming over to NA soon, or is he going to stick in the KHL (contract purposes) for a few more years?

Not sure. Management hasn't talked about him much. They don't have a good track record with getting Russian players from the KHL to North America.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not sure. Management hasn't talked about him much. They don't have a good track record with getting Russian players from the KHL to North America.

That's unfortunate. Maybe when Kaprizov comes over Svetlakov follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad