Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Parise was a beast in NJ. Kunin has a long ways to go to even get near Parise's level when he was there.

Kunin's tenacity/drive reminds me of Parise, but I don't he has the near the inherent skill a young Parise did.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Pronman has a writeup on the prospect tourney today at the Athletic, and included JEE, Kunin, Lodina and Soucy in it. All reviews were generally favorable and basically what we'd expect. obviously not going to copy/paste paywall content put the jist is.

JEE-Not elite anywhere, but above avg everywhere. Should be a factor this year
Kunin-Great Leader, and hustle machine
Lodina-Showed flashes of his high skill
Soucy-Big and smooth skater, see's bottom pair NHL upside.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Pronman has a writeup on the prospect tourney today at the Athletic, and included JEE, Kunin, Lodina and Soucy in it. All reviews were generally favorable and basically what we'd expect. obviously not going to copy/paste paywall content put the jist is.

JEE-Not elite anywhere, but above avg everywhere. Should be a factor this year
Kunin-Great Leader, and hustle machine
Lodina-Showed flashes of his high skill
Soucy-Big and smooth skater, see's bottom pair NHL upside.
When I see JEE, I think a combination of Koivu, Staal, and Jordan Staal. Will average 25 goals, 65 points in prime.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not ripping JEE but im really amped to watch kunin. i think he will provide that excitement entertainment factor. (similar to zucker)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I watched a couple mins of the wild/hurricanes Traverse City game. Didn't know who this one nice looking player was...then found out it was Lodnia.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm thinking that Ek will be miles ahead of Zucker ( at the same age) when it comes to physicality and two way play. Also, he is a C, which is a position of need, especially since I don't see Kunin playing C in the pros.

Reactions: bukwas

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm thinking that Ek will be miles ahead of Zucker ( at the same age) when it comes to physicality and two way play. Also, he is a C, which is a position of need, especially since I don't see Kunin playing C in the pros.

Completely agree. I think most here would be disappointed with a Zucker like development trend for JEE. We're hoping for more Koivu than Zucker, with maybe a bit more scoring touch then Koivu has had, but a but less defensive ability (hard to expect anyone to be Selke caliber after all).

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I know it was only one shot, but that shot JEE had last year (against Buffalo I think?) makes me think he can have more of that goal scoring touch than maybe we think. Excited to see what he can do once he starts getting more comfortable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek is pretty fast, also. One of the first things I noticed about him.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Baribeau did well in the first two games of the regular season this weekend.

He made 24 saves in a 3-1 win on Friday and 22 saves in a 4-1 win on Saturday.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
On Sokolov:
Former NHL forward Cory Stillman, named Sudbury’s new coach in the offseason, is just getting acquainted. He has been impressed by Sokolov’s apparent willingness to work on his game in the early going, even after he got off to a slow offensive start with just one goal and four points in his first six games.
Still, like Lalonde, Stillman recognizes serious flaws in Sokolov’s game, ones that have led him to a minus-76 rating over the course of a little more than two OHL seasons.
“We obviously know he can score goals and he does that every year and now we’re getting him to play a 200-foot game and he’s getting a lot better at that and he’s starting to play a pro hockey game,” Stillman said ahead of the Wolves’ Friday night matchup with the Mississauga Steelheads. “I think he needs to up his playing away from the puck and moving his feet or closing gaps and coming across and back-checking.”
But if you ask Sokolov what he needs to work on, he still misses the point.
“Just start scoring goals,” he said with a smile, standing outside the Wolves’ locker room at the Hershey Centre. “I’m playing well I think but just can’t score right now but I think it’s coming.”
On Friday night in Mississauga, both of Sokolov's sides showed up. His line gave up a goal on their first shift while he floated back high in zone. But he also ripped a shot off the post and in on the power play — and celebrated by pulling an imaginary monkey off of his back.
https://theathletic.com/120921/2017...-maybe-just-maybe-their-diamond-in-the-rough/

Doesn't sound to me like a player who'll ever be a serious prospect unfortunately.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Tonight at Miami, Duhaime had only four shifts before getting a game misconduct for checking from behind at the six-minute mark. Miami had gotten one earlier, just 25 seconds into the game, so he was part of the first PP unit out on that major. His first shift was spent retreating to the d-zone as the PK succeeded, while his second shift had maybe 10 seconds of o-zone time on the perimeter before the puck went out of play. He got one more short shift towards the tail end of that major, making the RW zone entry ahead of their second goal, which was scored seconds later as the puck worked around to the other point. His first EV shift after the major expired was his fourth overall, and last, after this call:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The part about him outplaying Ek at the prospects tournament doesn't sound promising? 50+ goals in his 18 year old season?

Sure, but how often do you hear about guys that can put up great offensive numbers, whose game consists of nothing else? He had the second worst +/- on the team (not a bogus stat when taken in team context) despite scoring 48 goals. He's a huge liability defensively at this point of his career, and coaches absolutely hate that.

Other quotes from the article:
If he’s ever going to play at the next level coaches have got to trust him and it can’t be all offense. He’s got to decide. For Dmitry, it’s the rest of his game, his play away from the puck, his competing, not being willing to come back into the zone, compete on plays.

Oftentimes, when the Wild’s scouting staff see him play in junior, he can pick up three points or nine or 10 shots and they still leave unimpressed because there are areas in his game that need serious growth.

He can improve defensively, no question. But until I hear reports that he has, he has the makings of an AHL scorer and nothing else, as FVM mentioned above.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Sure, but how often do you hear about guys that can put up great offensive numbers, whose game consists of nothing else? He had the second worst +/- on the team (not a bogus stat when taken in team context) despite scoring 48 goals. He's a huge liability defensively at this point of his career, and coaches absolutely hate that.

Other quotes from the article:

He can improve defensively, no question. But until I hear reports that he has, he has the makings of an AHL scorer and nothing else, as FVM mentioned above.
A list of goal scoring wingers that don't really offer anything else? You serious? +/- on a terrible team is usually only indicative of the amount of ice time a player gets. Read the actual quotes from his two coaches and not the bullshit added by an uneducated writer that is trying to push an agenda-

“He’s interesting in that he’s got an unbelievable offensive skillset. His ability to shoot the puck, his vision, his ability to create offence is remarkable. It’s world class,”

“I will give him credit, we got him into two games last year and then to see him where he was even with his conditioning, his development and then where he was at the Traverse City tournament, he made good progress,” Lalonde said.

“When he puts everything together he can be a dominant force,” Stillman said.

Not saying that this kid is a lock to be an NHL'er but to say he isn't a prospect to be taken serioulsy is wrong IMO.
Give me the super talented kid that needs to learn how to work, over the hardworker with no talent every time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
A list of goal scoring wingers that don't really offer anything else? You serious? +/- on a terrible team is usually only indicative of the amount of ice time a player gets. Read the actual quotes from his two coaches and not the bull**** added by an uneducated writer that is trying to push an agenda-

“He’s interesting in that he’s got an unbelievable offensive skillset. His ability to shoot the puck, his vision, his ability to create offence is remarkable. It’s world class,”

“I will give him credit, we got him into two games last year and then to see him where he was even with his conditioning, his development and then where he was at the Traverse City tournament, he made good progress,” Lalonde said.

“When he puts everything together he can be a dominant force,” Stillman said.

Not saying that this kid is a lock to be an NHL'er but to say he isn't a prospect to be taken serioulsy is wrong IMO.
Give me the super talented kid that needs to learn how to work, over the hardworker with no talent every time.

Of course he could be a dominant force IF he puts everything together. Why wouldn't his coaches say that? He's obviously extremely gifted offensively. But he's got a heck of a lot to learn and improve on if he's going to make it. Starting a sentence with "I will give him credit" isn't exactly the most ringing endorsement, but glad to hear he's making progress.

I'm not going to count on him ever making the NHL at this point. I'd love to see it happen, but nothing from the coaches' quotes you provided says he made any big jumps. When Wild scouts can come away unimpressed after a great offensive game, there's reason to worry.

There's no denying it was an absolute steal of a draft pick in the 7th round. Fantastic pick. Really hope he can put it together.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If we want to quote the people who are actually in the business, there are some disturbing quotes in that piece from his coaches:

Lalonde:

“He’s out of shape,” Lalonde said bluntly. “I’d say the talent is undeniable but it’s been his approach, where he is with his conditioning, he wants to cheat offense, he wants to lean offense. If he’s ever going to play at the next level coaches have got to trust him and it can’t be all offense. He’s got to decide. For Dmitry, it’s the rest of his game, his play away from the puck, his competing, not being willing to come back into the zone, compete on plays.”

(Lalonde doesn't trust him, so definitely wouldn't have him on the top 2 lines for Iowa right now, in spite of him being probably the most skilled scorer on the team. He'd probably be in the ECHL, to give him more minutes.)

"“He earned being on the third line from his approach over the summer and then his compete level just gradually kept getting better. (In the third game) he was arguably the best player on the ice, he had a goal and two assists so it was some progress for him. Now he’s got to keep taking those strides back in his junior season this year,” Lalonde added. “With all of our prospects as an organization, we talk about our young guys needing to earn it a little bit.”

(First sentence here tells me he still wasn't doing what the coaches asked of him, and then he started listening, so improved over the course of the tournament as he was getting less ice time than a lot of other guys, and had to work for it. That "earned being on the third line" bit is a nice way of saying he didn't earn his spot on the top line until he finally started doing what he was supposed to. It's a good sign that he adjusted, but it's also not so good that his long term approach has put him on the 3rd line in a prospects tournament in which he was clearly one of the best offensive players.)

Stillman:
“We obviously know he can score goals and he does that every year and now we’re getting him to play a 200-foot game and he’s getting a lot better at that and he’s starting to play a pro hockey game,” Stillman said ahead of the Wolves’ Friday night matchup with the Mississauga Steelheads. “I think he needs to up his playing away from the puck and moving his feet or closing gaps and coming across and back-checking.”

(In other words "He hasn't scored yet, but we know he can score, now can he also actually play hockey? You don't win by scoring goals, you win by scoring MORE goals than the other team. That requires some semblance of defense. The good news is, he's doing better there, but still not good enough." The problematic part is that by his quotes Sokolov still was more worried about scoring than he was about rounding out his game. If you're not scoring, which he wasn't, you'd better be playing a solid defensive game still. Yes, he started the season a bit cold and scorers always want to be scoring because that's how they get paid, but everyone knows he's going to score, and score a lot. They aren't worried about that. What they need to see is that he can also do literally anything else, and that's why he's still in the OHL. I'm excited about him because he's got undeniable scoring talent, but I've always felt that he's nowhere close to pro-ready, and that if he doesn't round his game out, he'll end up being a minor leaguer, or a pro back in Russia. I really hope that doesn't happen, both for his sake and ours!

What I see are coaches saying "His full game is getting better, but it's still not good enough." And from Sokolov's quote, I'm getting the feeling that it isn't good enough yet because he hasn't actually committed to it, yet. Again, I hope he does.)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Was thinking of what the forward lines could look like if Kaprizov comes over after three seasons, in 20-21. I have no idea how they'd work, or even who will be here for sure.

LW: Parise, Kaprizov, Zucker?, Foligno, Greenway (if he signs with us)
RW: Niedereitter, Coyle, Granlund (if he re-signs with us), Lodnia/Sokolov/Shaw/someone
C: JEE, Kunin, Koivu?, Svetlakov?, not much after those guys

Think that could be a good team at forward? I'm not sure, but I think we're treading water. That center depth is scary in a bad way. I guess that's what trades and free agents are for.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Pronman just posted a prospects notebook on The Athletic with a few notes about MN prospects - Greenway, Kahkonen, and Svetlakov.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Pronman just posted a prospects notebook on The Athletic with a few notes about MN prospects - Greenway, Kahkonen, and Svetlakov.
If the wild don't sign Kahkonen I will be pissed, been high on him for a long time and I think Harding was the last goalie prospect I was excited about...

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Sounds speculative from Pronman. Not sure why the Wild wouldn't sign him but they really can't do it right now with the 50-contract limit. (Worth asking why Adam Vay, for one, has a contract before KK.) Kahkonen would immediately be the number three guy in the system when he signs.

I'm sure others noticed but nice production off the bat for Nick Swaney over the weekend with a couple of assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->