Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Next season should be pretty interesting in terms of graduating prospects. Sokolov, Shaw and Belpedio in Iowa, and with Kunin probably spending some time there too. Then Greenway who will probably spend the whole year in NHL.

Not sure how those first three will do but it's a thing to follow. Add JEE's progression and overall it's an injection of youth to the organisation. Some of these are of course long shots to make it but not total no-hopers either.

Iowa really needs a goalie though. Second most goals against in Western conference; Michalek's .906 and Svedberg's 0.905 save% is not enough. KKK would be kind of an important signing (if Kirill Kaprizov is KK then Kaapo Kahkonen is KKK, right?!). If not him and sticking to Finish goalies, there are two other intriguing free agent options. Lankinen (23) and Vehvilainen (21) had great seasons this year, arguably better than Kahkonen (22). There should be promising options out there even if you can't sign Kahkonen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Next season should be pretty interesting in terms of graduating prospects. Sokolov, Shaw and Belpedio in Iowa, and with Kunin probably spending some time there too. Then Greenway who will probably spend the whole year in NHL.

Not sure how those first three will do but it's a thing to follow. Add JEE's progression and overall it's an injection of youth to the organisation. Some of these are of course long shots to make it but not total no-hopers either.

Iowa really needs a goalie though. Second most goals against in Western conference; Michalek's .906 and Svedberg's 0.905 save% is not enough. KKK would be kind of an important signing (if Kirill Kaprizov is KK then Kaapo Kahkonen is KKK, right?!). If not him and sticking to Finish goalies, there are two other intriguing free agent options. Lankinen (23) and Vehvilainen (21) had great seasons this year, arguably better than Kahkonen (22). There should be promising options out there even if you can't sign Kahkonen.

Might want to rethink that one.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Position/SkillsNames
GoalieKaapo Kahkonen, Steve Michalek (RFA), Dereck Baribeau, Ales Stezka
Two-way DLouie Belpedio, Gustav Olofsson, Dylan Labbe (RFA), Jack Sadek
Puck-moving DEric Martinsson, Gustav Bouramman, Brennan Menell
Shutdown DNick Seeler (RFA), Hunter Warner, Jacob Golden, Nick Boka
Playmaking CMason Shaw, Sam Anas
Two-way CDante Salituro, Landon Ferraro, Adam Gilmour (RFA), Andrei Svetlakov
Scoring FKirill Kaprizov, Dmitri Sokolov, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, Nick Swaney
Two-way WIvan Lodnia, Chase Lang, Justin Kloos, Bryce Misley
Checking FPavel Jenys, Brandon Duhaime
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
the above I cribbed (stole) from Lowetide - just an exercise to see who's in the system and what areas of need might exist. Compared to the Oilers, the Wild look pretty well-balanced. Not too strict on the categories of course, more just a way to see where a player might fit in if he makes the show.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Position/SkillsNames
Scoring FKirill Kaprizov, Dmitri Sokolov, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, Nick Swaney
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Where's Soucy?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
traded for Panarin :D

nah, just forgot him. I guess he's in the shutdown camp - don't think he'll bring more offense than Seeler will honestly.

His mobility and puck movement surprised me last season. He's not Spurgeon or anything, but he didn't look like Stoner either.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Position/SkillsNames
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So I guess looking at it like this we should probably add a Puck moving D, a Playmaking C, a Two way C, a two way W and a Checking F late in the draft. So basically forwards for the most part.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So I guess looking at it like this we should probably add a Puck moving D, a Playmaking C, a Two way C, a two way W and a Checking F late in the draft. So basically forwards for the most part.

I wouldn't get a checking FWD at all. Just stop with the 5'9" longshots and get a 6'2" longshot instead.

As for the players on the list, most aren't NHL players, some aren't really even AHL players.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Says every short person everywhere... :laugh:

It's just easier to make a bigger player into a "checking FWD" than it is to make an Ennis into one.

If I'm taking a 5'9" player it's because of top 6 upside, not ease of turning into something lesser, and not all that difficult to find.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If I'm taking a 5'9" player it's because of top 6 upside, not ease of turning into something lesser, and not all that difficult to find.

The Wild have spent how much looking for a checking FWD is the past few years? How many are in the system? It's not all that easy. If I get any sort of a NHL player out of a 4th or later pick I'm happy.

There really is enough undersized players in the pipeline right now. They really don't need to draft anymore this year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The Wild have spent how much looking for a checking FWD is the past few years? How many are in the system? It's not all that easy. If I get any sort of a NHL player out. of a 4th or later pick I'm happy.

There really is enough undersized players in the pipeline right now. They really don't need to draft anymore this year.
You never have enough of anything. Draft the best player. Period. putting any kind of parameters on a draft, only makes it less likely to succeed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You never have enough of anything. Draft the best player. Period. putting any kind of parameters on a draft, only makes it less likely to succeed.

Is there really a best player once you get into the late rounds of the draft? Heck even past the top 2 or 3 overall every year the best player is debatable.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Is there really a best player once you get into the late rounds of the draft? Heck even past the top 2 or 3 overall every year the best player is debatable.
I would really hope that a GM and his scouts would see things quite a bit differently than that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would really hope that a GM and his scouts would see things quite a bit differently than that.

I think they have a board by position, but I don't think they hard rank the players 1-250. Maybe they do and that would explain the Lucia,Gabriel, and Duheim picks. I doubt even the scouts would agree on who the BPA at 24oa this year when it's time for Minny to make their pick.

The BPA on the board could all be LD's for every one of their picks, they aren't taking 8 LDs in one draft (as an extreme).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

It's just a sketch but the big takeaway for me is the huge need for a playmaking center. And that shouldn't be so impossible. Shaw missed an entire season (and I think played some wing in his draft year anyhow) and Anas is 25 with 0 NHL games, so even calling him a prospect is a small stretch.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
we already have several under sized players (that have talent) , we need a little more size (&speed) to compete with the jets & blues etc. cant be all big & slow , cant be team smurf , need balance.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Staal 6'4"
Koivu 6'3"
Coyle 6'3"
Nino 6'2"
Eriksson Ek 6'2"

55.56% of the projected top 9 with 1 spot to fill with maybe 6'5" Greenway.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Staal 6'4"
Koivu 6'3"
Coyle 6'3"
Nino 6'2"
Eriksson Ek 6'2"

55.56% of the projected top 9 with 1 spot to fill with maybe 6'5" Greenway.

They also have: Anas, Rau (does he count?), Kloos, Salituro, Shaw, and Lodnia as prospects.

Size is a factor to play in the NHL. Inconsistent Coyle, no offense JEE, and good for hitting people Foligno; wouldn't be NHL players last year if they were Anas' size. Spurgeon would be a top-5 d-man in the league if he was Hedman's size.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They also have: Anas, Rau (does he count?), Kloos, Salituro, Shaw, and Lodnia as prospects.

Size is a factor to play in the NHL. Inconsistent Coyle, no offense JEE, and good for hitting people Foligno; wouldn't be NHL players last year if they were Anas' size. Spurgeon would be a top-5 d-man in the league if he was Hedman's size.

And, shockingly, 6'3" and above players wash out of the NHL or never get a shot because they aren't good enough too.

If Coyle was 5'8" and coming off of a 18 goal, 58 point season, he most definitely would've been in the NHL. Eriksson Ek was there flying in the face of proper development.

Spurgeon might not be "Spurgeon" if he didn't grow up having to learn how to be smarter than everybody else on the ice.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->