Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i cant find a game today so the season must be over. i swear when i looked at the schedule early last week i thought they had 3 games this weekend. my bad thurs , fri , sat (not fri-sun). 50G each , not bad at all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Sokolov had played all year with Barrie, he could well have led the league in points, as well as goals. His +\-has sorted itself out , too, since he's been playing with the better team.

He's done about all you can expect, and more, considering where he was drafted. Has shown significant, steady improvement year to year in junior. Hopefully he continues to improve till he makes it to the NHL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Sokolov had played all year with Barrie, he could well have led the league in points, as well as goals. His +\-has sorted itself out , too, since he's been playing with the better team.

He's done about all you can expect, and more, considering where he was drafted. Has shown significant, steady improvement year to year in junior. Hopefully he continues to improve till he makes it to the NHL.
I think the big question with him right now is motivation and resilience. Not that he's really done anything in the past season or two to indicate that he's lazy or unmotivated, but I'm curious to see if he can carry that trajectory of steady improvement over to the AHL. It'll be harder to rely on raw offensive talent there, so it should be a good challenge for him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
luchuk was in his 4th ohl season vs sokolov 3rd (i think). lodnia did alright for his 1st season 22G 37A 62 gms.
I think this is Lodnia's 3rd season with the Otters, but he is a year and a half younger than Sokolov. Great season for him as well, either way.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the big question with him right now is motivation and resilience. Not that he's really done anything in the past season or two to indicate that he's lazy or unmotivated, but I'm curious to see if he can carry that trajectory of steady improvement over to the AHL. It'll be harder to rely on raw offensive talent there, so it should be a good challenge for him.
You could say that of any player, really. Sokolov is to be commended for coming over to a foreign country and having to deal with all the differences, let alone playing major junior hockey, which is tough for local kids to deal with.

Get him signed, Fletcher!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Geez, i forgot that Barrie is likely to go far in the playoffs. Maybe farther than Iowa.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Seeing Sokolov's OHL numbers compared with Trocheck's numbers somewhere (Reddit, I think?) has got me somewhat excited.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
OHL Coaches Poll awarded Sokolov 'Most Dangerous in Goal Area' by a wide margin for his conference, but he didn't win for any shooting/shot categories (was 3rd in that category and in both Hardest Shot and Best Shot last season).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
did he win the oglethorp of the crease award? what does that even mean?

He scores goals. (He also doesn't take many penalties, which used to be seen as a sign of a 'soft' player but actually seems like a good strategy for winning hockey games.)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Greenway will be a center in the NHL.

It's tough to be a net-front presence AND center in the NHL. Hope coaching staff doesn't force Greenway into being a center; I really think his bread and butter will be garbage goals/rebounds/screening the goaltender.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's tough to be a net-front presence AND center in the NHL. Hope coaching staff doesn't force Greenway into being a center; I really think his bread and butter will be garbage goals/rebounds/screening the goaltender.
don't think you have any worries on that score. Ek, Koivu, Staal, and Coyle will be getting C time before Greenway in the medium term...mebbe even Winnik.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
don't think you have any worries on that score. Ek, Koivu, Staal, and Coyle will be getting C time before Greenway in the medium term...mebbe even Winnik.
I'm not sure about Boudreau, but I could see management wanting to see early on whether or not they've got a potential center in Greenway. Still, I'd be shocked to see him play anywhere but the wing this year (assuming no injuries.... knock on wood).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wonder if Kunin and Greenway will be getting C time in Iowa, or..?

I'd hope so. I have concerns about Greenway jumping right to the NHL as a winger; I'd have much, much more if they tried to start him at center.

Kunin (assuming no rehab complications), Greenway and Sokolov would give Iowa some pretty high end offensive talent, though my guess is that Greenway is going to have an inside track to the spot that Ennis is going to vacate, either via buyout or pressbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad