Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Belpedio's college career just ended. Fletcher and Flahr were in the building.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well sokolov w/48G has 3 remaining reg season games and has a one goal lead in the ohl goal scoring race. his last 2 gms against sudbury , lets hope he lights them up!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
gotta hand it to Fletcher and the scouting crew on Sokolov. I always feel free to criticize, but can't ignore the good moves, either.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
The crazy thing is that he was originally viewed as a top half of the draft kind of guy (or even higher than that) wasn't he? Then the fitness issues came into play...

Still pretty crazy that he lasted as long as he did.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, would you rather have him, or Bellows? The fact that it's even a debate reflects well on Fletcher and the crew, but you have to be wondering what the other teams were thinking.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah "fitness issues" must be a huge red flag around draft rooms for a guy with this much goal scoring ability to fall all the way to the 7th round. Wonder if it's not one of the biggest red flags an nhl prospect can have. Very interesting look at how teams value players.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Heard at the Husky coaches show that Belpedio broke his foot Friday. Nothing official yet but if true...likely won't see him in Iowa this year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Heard at the Husky coaches show that Belpedio broke his foot Friday. Nothing official yet but if true...likely won't see him in Iowa this year.
If that's true, he now has zero reason to sign with the Wild

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I swear 90% of the NHL teams would draft better if the combine didn't exist. The weight that these dinosaur front offices/scouting staffs put on things like the ability to answer questions coherently or the ability to do a pull up over hockey talent is absolutely ludicrous.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
on the one hand kaprizov 5th & sokolov 7th appear to be jackpot picks , on the other hand if we really believed they had that much talent why didnt we pick them higher?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
just so im clear we really got lucky with sokolov & kaprizov. our gmcf & scout staff are not geniuses correct?
I dunno that it's that cut and dry. I remember reports of Shep Harder running around like he'd won the lottery when we picked Kaprizov, so clearly someone in the organization saw something there. A lot of it probably comes down to how the draft lists are made, but that's a process that I'm pretty clueless about.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
just so im clear we really got lucky with sokolov & kaprizov. our gmcf & scout staff are not geniuses correct?

Everything involves certain elements of luck.

People want to give TB a lot of credit for selecting Kucherov, but they also forget that they passed on him once (took Namestnikov), giving teams 30 more chances to take him. It's not like they were the only ones that knew what he was going to become so they were able to stash him away for another round.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I dunno that it's that cut and dry. I remember reports of Shep Harder running around like he'd won the lottery when we picked Kaprizov, so clearly someone in the organization saw something there. A lot of it probably comes down to how the draft lists are made, but that's a process that I'm pretty clueless about.
They traded a with Boston to get him. So I have feeling they were targeting him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
on the one hand kaprizov 5th & sokolov 7th appear to be jackpot picks , on the other hand if we really believed they had that much talent why didnt we pick them higher?

I think Sokolov got lost in the shuffle with teams. Going from memory, so I could get some of this wrong:
-he was a projected late 1st early in the season and dropped to a projected 4th by the draft.
-he got injured during the season and his fitness was called into question.
-he played for a not good CHL team.
-he was viewed as a 1 dimensional scorer and didn't care at all about defense/teamplay.
-Russian factor.

Kaprizov had the Russian factor and he is a shorter player. His game transferring to smaller NHL ice was a big question. Didn't he also bounce around between a bunch of the U-18 teams Russia ices and didn't get much KHL time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad