League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
maybe there is no such thing in a literal sense, but CF is considered by almost all as an acceptable proxy

Yeah, I don't care what people think about the stat itself but I have done a ton of research on it as an indicator of success. I went back to 1999 at one point. Bottom line if you aren't a top possession team, using CF%, you aren't winning.

Outliers are there but there really aren't many, all winning teams are top ten, most are top five. 2016 playoffs I made actual bets on a bracket using CF%, only one team beat the trend, the Sharks, until they lost to the number two CF% team that year, the Pens.

This season in every main board thread I picked the higher seeded CF%, I may go 8 for 8. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Empty Goal Net

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
CF% is pretty much the universal possession stat. Caps are 24th, only two playoff teams are lower, all three will be gone by the end of the week.

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Some people prefer xGF%, Caps are 25th in that one. :(
And where are they ranked in the playoffs?
I can't believe you guys with your stats. Especially this stat. If you really want to judge a team or a player watch them play.
If was a true time of possession stat I might buy it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah, I don't care what people think about the stat itself but I have done a ton of research on it as an indicator of success. I went back to 1999 at one point. Bottom line if you aren't a top possession team, using CF%, you aren't winning.

Outliers are there but there really aren't many, all winning teams are top ten, most are top five. 2016 playoffs I made actual bets on a bracket using CF%, only one team beat the trend, the Sharks, until they lost to the number two CF% team that year, the Pens.

This season in every main board thread I picked the higher seeded CF%, I may go 8 for 8. ;)
And how are these teams possessions stats in the postseason? How are the Caps possession stats?
You are regular seasons stats in the playoffs. At least use playoff possession stats for the playoffs.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
And where are they ranked in the playoffs?
I can't believe you guys with your stats. Especially this stat. If you really want to judge a team or a player watch them play.
If was a true time of possession stat I might buy it.

Well it's been two/three games so I am assuming a bigger sample size is needed but here it is if you want it. Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

And of course the eye test is best, but if want to have an explanation of why a team that is seeded higher and is consequently "favored" in a series loses look at their possession numbers you usually have your answer.

Caps are below the Jackets and most NHL teams, in almost all the important advanced stats, high danger for, high danger against, shots for, shots against. Of course the measure of a teams luck stat, PDO, the Caps are third.

Caps were never gonna win a series this post season, unless they got lights out goaltending.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well it's been two/three games so I am assuming a bigger sample size is needed but here it is if you want it. Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

And of course the eye test is best, but if want to have an explanation of why a team that is seeded higher and is consequently "favored" in a series loses look at their possession numbers you usually have your answer.

Caps are below the Jackets and most NHL teams, in almost all the important advanced stats, high danger for, high danger against, shots for, shots against. Of course the measure of a teams luck stat, PDO, the Caps are third.

Caps were never gonna win a series this post season, unless they got lights out goaltending.

We're blowing out CBJ in the so-called possession stats, how do you explain the fact that we're down 2-0 in the series when we put close to 60 shots on Bob last night? Our PDO is down to the low 90s, while CBJ is at 108. Can't you just see that Bob is playing out of his mind while Grubauer has been trash (especially in game 2)?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We're blowing out CBJ in the so-called possession stats, how do you explain the fact that we're down 2-0 in the series when we put close to 60 shots on Bob last night? Our PDO is down to the low 90s, while CBJ is at 108. Can't you just see that Bob is playing out of his mind while Grubauer has been trash (especially in game 2)?

Of course. I said in the first post related to stats, the main outlier to advanced stats is a goalie standing on his head.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This was the point I was trying to make to Sam Spade. He kept going on with regular season possession. Yet the playoffs stats show us to be dominating Columbus. But here we are down 2-0. So his argument isnt really holding water.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
This was the point I was trying to make to Sam Spade. He kept going on with regular season possession. Yet the playoffs stats show us to be dominating Columbus. But here we are down 2-0. So his argument isnt really holding water.

My guess (not wanting to speak for him) is that Sam and others who are deep into this aspect would say 1) very small sample so these data do not support definitive conclusions, and 2) although important, this measure can be countered first by strong or weak goaltending (as well as other factors). This was my implicit point in my first response to his list: the #1 team in CF% was Carolina, who did not make the playoffs. The primary reason? Horrible tending.

One measure can never provide the entire picture. Data geeks strive to produce measures and composite indices that come ever closer to telling "the whole story," without ever reaching that end.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't know how the NHL can look at what Vegas did in year one and think they can not only do the exact same expansion drafting strategy as before but also exempt Vegas from it.

I think they'll come back down to Earth next year, but there's no doubt they could go all the way this year offmomentum alone.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
As I predicted, Vegas beat the Kings. :)

The Kings did not wear down Las Vegas, at all.

I reflect back on Drew Doughty’s words midway through the year when he said that they were better than Las Vegas and that’d we’d see that at the end of the year. Ahhh....NOPE! Lol.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I can't tell if Philly is really this trash, if Pitt is really this good, or if it's both. This is like a sparring session, like I almost believe it would have been more detrimental to Pitt to actually have a first round bye. This is like extended live practice, it's not even fair for whichever team has to play them next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad