League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Def a good night for the Caps. Except for the Pens, all the Metro teams were playing games in hand, so as long as none of them are three point games I am pleased.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I kind of feel bad for Alzner. Well as bad as I can for a multi-millionaire. He was a fan favorite in DC and now he’s in a brutal media market and the fans don’t like him.
He hasnt played up to expectations. I think Canadians fans are more upset at the GM for signing him than they are at Alzner.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He hasnt played up to expectations. I think Canadians fans are more upset at the GM for signing him than they are at Alzner.

I’m shocked that Bergevin still has a job. He butchered the PK Subban contract situation from start to finish and then traded him for an aging Weber who’s signed until 2026, traded away Sergachev who looks like a budding star in TB, signed a pretty obviously washed-up Alzner for way too much and way too long, is on the verge of dumping Galchenyuk, signed a chronically injured Price to an insane contract, etc.

Blunder after blunder.

Reactions: g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I’m shocked that Bergevin still has a job. He butchered the PK Subban contract situation from start to finish and then traded him for an aging Weber who’s signed until 2026, traded away Sergachev who looks like a budding star in TB, signed a pretty obviously washed-up Alzner for way too much and way too long, is on the verge of dumping Galchenyuk, signed a chronically injured Price to an insane contract, etc.

Blunder after blunder.
I don't have a problem with the Subban trade except that it should have happened before they gave him the big money. Weber is aging but he is a better player all round player than Subban. Funny thing about Subban is that he is supposed to be an elite dman but he might only be the 3rd best on his own team.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't have a problem with the Subban trade except that it should have happened before they gave him the big money. Weber is aging but he is a better player all round player than Subban. Funny thing about Subban is that he is supposed to be an elite dman but he might only be the 3rd best on his own team.

I do not agree with that post at all but I will defend your right to post it.

Also let’s talk about how Ottawa is going to trade Erik Karlsson because they are too cheap to pay his next contract.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Now sure what exactly the expectations were. Habs needed some D that can move the puck up ice and that wasn't Alzner. Just another square peg in a round hole situation when it comes to Bergevin. It's really mind blowing that he hasn't been fired yet.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

You don't know Montreal very well then. Players can be hated just because they're not worth their contracts. People hate Alzner here, just like they hated Gomez when he was making $7.8M per season to score less than 10 goals.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Blunder after blunder.

He needs to trade Galchenyuk though. He's a big disappointment.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lemme get these down on the list:

“Niskanen sucks, 3rd best on Caps tops”
“Subban 3rd best D for Preds”
Josi and Ekholm are both very good 2way defence man. Just as good as Subban or better. Tell me how Subban is any better. Have you ever seen him play. He makes way more poor and selfish decisions than either of the other 2. You are obviously caught up in the Subban hype.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You don't know Montreal very well then. Players can be hated just because they're not worth their contracts. People hate Alzner here, just like they hated Gomez when he was making $7.8M per season to score less than 10 goals.
I know Montreal fans. There are very hard on their players. I know Alzner isn't popular with the fans there but if Alzner wasn't there they wouldn't even know who he was. To me that shows that the fans hate the fact that he was brought there but not the player himself.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I know Montreal fans. There are very hard on their players. I know Alzner isn't popular with the fans there but if Alzner wasn't there they wouldn't even know who he was. To me that shows that the fans hate the fact that he was brought there but not the player himself.

Wait, what?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm saying I don't think the fans really hate Alzner. The fans there are very emotional. Its a hard place to play when things aren't going well.

Ok yeah, no argument there, but your criteria seemed odd. They have to know who someone is BEFORE he comes to their team to hate him? I don't get it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Josi and Ekholm are both very good 2way defence man. Just as good as Subban or better. Tell me how Subban is any better. Have you ever seen him play. He makes way more poor and selfish decisions than either of the other 2. You are obviously caught up in the Subban hype.

Nope, just enjoying your nuggets of wisdom. Thanks for sharing with the masses! ;)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ok yeah, no argument there, but your criteria seemed odd. They have to know who someone is BEFORE he comes to their team to hate him? I don't get it.
They have no reason to hate him. Even if he isn't playing well for their team. Everyone knows here that I'm not a Niskanen fan but I don't hate him. I thought we may have overpaid him a bit. I really think by biggest issue with Niskanen is that he was a Penguin. I didn't like him then either and my feelings about him stayed even though he is a Cap now. He is not the first player I had a hard time welcoming to the Caps.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Actually they hate the the GM, Alzner and the move itself. Not that I blame them.
I also need to see Galch play for another team before I make my final analysis. They keep making him play wing, blame him for team losses and get mad at his birthday cakes. Its getting weirder each day over there!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm saying I don't think the fans really hate Alzner. The fans there are very emotional. Its a hard place to play when things aren't going well.

It's also the fact that Alzner is replacing a fan favourite in Markov. The people in this city loved Markov. He should've been the Habs captain over Pacioretty.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
It's also the fact that Alzner is replacing a fan favourite in Markov. The people in this city loved Markov. He should've been the Habs captain over Pacioretty.

Markov is an interesting story.

I don't know if Markov could have been captain mainly because he wasn't known to be media friendly. His choice.

Markov was a man of very few words. Most reporters didn’t even bother approaching him in the locker room after games and practices and when he did speak he rarely said much.

There's a lot of opinion about what happened with Markov who was in Montreal for 16 years. 10 games short of 1,000 appears to hit a sour note. It's not like he was Doan'd. There was negotiation. Not a "you're fired". Playing in the Olympics for Russia may have been appealing since NHL was not sending players.

Stu Cowan: Sad day for Andrei Markov as he departs Canadiens for KHL

Canadiens say defenceman Andrei Markov not returning next season | Toronto Star

Some speculate that him representing himself instead of using an agent ( was decertified for fraud) would have been better. Going toe to toe in contract negotiations is not for amateurs.

Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens' Bergevin - Sportsnet.ca

Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens’ Bergevin

I guess now that Russia won't be at the Olympics Markov is bitter/disappointed that he didn't take the one year with bonuses.

Previous contract:
he faded near the end of the season and had a dreadful playoff in an Olympic year,
Why Andrei Markov is worth three years and a $5.75 million cap hit to the Montreal Canadiens | The Hockey News

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Markov is an interesting story.

I don't know if Markov could have been captain mainly because he wasn't known to be media friendly. His choice.

There's a lot of opinion about what happened with Markov who was in Montreal for 16 years. 10 games short of 1,000 appears to hit a sour note. It's not like he was Doan'd. There was negotiation. Not a "you're fired". Playing in the Olympics for Russia may have been appealing since NHL was not sending players.

Stu Cowan: Sad day for Andrei Markov as he departs Canadiens for KHL

Canadiens say defenceman Andrei Markov not returning next season | Toronto Star

Some speculate that him representing himself instead of using an agent ( was decertified for fraud)

Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens' Bergevin - Sportsnet.ca
Report: Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Canadiens’ Bergevin

I guess now that Russia won't be at the Olympics Markov is bitter/disappointed that he didn't take the one year with bonuses.

Previous contract:

Why Andrei Markov is worth three years and a $5.75 million cap hit to the Montreal Canadiens | The Hockey News

A man of few words but great actions. He has always been the most reliable player on the team. Who cares about the media, the Montreal media is stupid anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->