League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
They could also learn how to drive the play and maintain posession during the playoffs, which leads to more penalties drawn (among other obvious benefits).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I thought there was an incredibly weak positive correlation between possession and penalty differential but nothing significant. Maybe things changed.

I think it’s more on a player by player basis: Eller and Semin for instance are/were good possession players but they take a ton of penalties. Carlson isn’t a fantastic possession player but he is really good at staying out of the box. Etc.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It's pretty clear to me the refs have some conscious or unconscious tendency toward avoiding awarding PPs to good PP teams in the playoffs. No ref wants to be criticized for handing a win to a team via a penalty call, and the playoffs are when refs are expected to "let them play".

But why do the other teams seem to get so many calls? Well, other than Semin and maybe Mojo, nobody on the Caps was willing to go down and draw a penalty. Other teams in the league dive like there's money buried in the ice while our guys stupidly play right into it. Our opponents know they can get away with it and they know it's their best defense against our offense. Yet we never adjust.

This may sound stupid but IMO if the Caps want to reverse that awful trend they need to maintain a moderately successful but inconspicuous power play during the regular season and gain a reputation for never diving. Then in the playoffs start looking to draw calls like crazy while unleashing the PP hounds.

So crazy it just might work....

The most important thing, you would need to be lethal. 1/1, 2/2 3/3. Because if you have, 6,7,8,... opportunities, and if you score 3 or more, the next game, refs won't give you anything.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Agreed refs sometimes even up calls sometimes and they tend to let things go when one team gets a bigger lead, but generally over time disciplined teams get called less and undisciplined teams get called more, a bad call here and there has very little impact.

And I don't understand your 2nd point, why would we be favored in a 50/50 game, shouldn't a 50/50 game be... 50/50... and what the hell is a 50/50 game? You call penalties as they are committed, refs shouldn't have a 50/50 bias in the back of there head, that's the bad reffing you are referring to.

The real issue is we are rarely the more disciplined team, hell it's a big part of the opponents game plan to not give us powerplays. Stay out the box and you've dismantled our teams biggest strength for the past 10 years.
I don't buy this post completely. I agree that officials do make even up calls. Especially in the playoffs. Its sickening to watch vat times. But I do believe that some teams and players get the benefit of the doubt from officials. Crosby is a good example. He is one of the dirtiest players in the league and gets away with a lot. Then on the other side you get players that have gotten a bad rep and will get penalties called against them when there ius no infraction. This is nothing new. It is unfortunate but its true.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
So Pens trying to double down on catching the Yotes for most GA? Looks like they have been shopping Cole. I guess trying not to be last in the league in 5v5 goals…?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
So since taking over the Devils, Shero has acquired Taylor Hall, Kyle Palmieri, Marcus Johansson and Sami Vatanen, in exchange for Adam Henrique, Adam Larsson, Joseph Blandisi, 2 2nd rd picks, and 2 3rd round picks. And the signing of Will Butcher has worked out well, so far. New Jersey is slowly getting there. In a few years, probably sooner, they're gonna bepretty good.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Seems like a pretty good trade for both sides. I'm not propably not as high on Vatanen as most though. He's a good middle-pairing D with excellent offensive abilities, and can be a PPQB aswell. Henrique is really underrated though. Very good defensive center and i think he can log some pretty solid numbers now that he's finally out of the offensive graveyard that Devils were for years. He even managed a 30g, 50 point season in there.

Ducks needed to move one of their defenders, and they got a solid return here. Blandisi is pretty good aswell, and they look very good down the middle. Getzlaf, Kesler and Henrique are very good center group, both offensively and defensively. Lots of salary tied to that position, though.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
So imagine if Wilson was suspended for whatever reason then two weeks later speared someone from the bench. Think he would only get one game?

DoPS does not give a shit about player safety. They want these things to still happen and DoPS is is merely there for legal deniablity.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Metro is brutal. I honestly dont know which of the 6 teams misses out. My heart says "please dont be the Caps", while my head looks at Isles and Devils and thinks its one of them. Isles due to Goal-tending, Devils due to Offense. That said, it could be Rags or Jackets too. Rags D and G could be suspect, and the Jackets O is not strong.

Or.... the Caps, due to injuries and passive attitude on making the playoffs after the last 2 years disappointments.

I'm pretty sure the Pens will make it, and if they dont, the NHL will help them. Cant have the 2 time reigning champs on the outside looking in. Just wont happen

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Metro is brutal. I honestly dont know which of the 6 teams misses out. My heart says "please dont be the Caps", while my head looks at Isles and Devils and thinks its one of them. Isles due to Goal-tending, Devils due to Offense. That said, it could be Rags or Jackets too. Rags D and G could be suspect, and the Jackets O is not strong.

Or.... the Caps, due to injuries and passive attitude on making the playoffs after the last 2 years disappointments.

I'm pretty sure the Pens will make it, and if they dont, the NHL will help them. Cant have the 2 time reigning champs on the outside looking in. Just wont happen

I really like the Jackets. Don’t see them missing out. Pittsburgh will likely make it along with the Capitals. Both teams have too much talent IMO to miss. The Islanders look much better now than last season, though I agree goaltending is weaker than other teams in the Metro.

I still see the Devils dropping a bit so I think it’ll be between them and the Rangers for the final spot. Carolina’s underlying numbers are always good but they just don’t have the talent in goal or finishing talent at forward. Philly is done.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We're going to make it and face Columbus or Tampa in the first round. Mark my words.
I really have no clue who is going to make the playoffs from the Metropolitan. Right now its looks like a good chance 5 teams from the division could make it. I don't want to speculate where we will finish. I'm hoping in the top 2 in the division but who knows. I think if we can get our guys back and stay healthy, we have a chance at a division title.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I kind of feel bad for Alzner. Well as bad as I can for a multi-millionaire. He was a fan favorite in DC and now he’s in a brutal media market and the fans don’t like him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not a bad night for us considering we had the night off. It sucked that Columbus beat Arizona 1-0 but it was expected. The other games went well with the Rangers beating the Devils and both the Islanders and Penguins losing. I believe we sit in 2nd in the division right now 2 points back of Columbus. I bet not many people thought we would be within 2 points of the division lead.

Reactions: Sam Spade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad