Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Coyotes Prospect Stats Weekly Update

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Madsen has been added, I figured he'd go UFA and we wouldn't get to sign him, but I'll put him on there and we'll see what happens at the end of the season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
@ctwin22

This reminds me, we're still working on upgrading the board's table capabilities. So I probably wouldn't bother fixing the OP until we do that.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
With fewer games played than almost all the guys ahead of him, Eeli Tolvanen is now 6th in the KHL in shots and goals and 9th in total points. I don't think I'm ever going to get over this.

Reactions: Mosby

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
With Puljujarvi being sent back to the AHL and Keller leading the Coyotes in preseason scoring and poised to start the year on the top line, I want to take a victory lap.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Going to need some help with the tables...it doesn't like the old way of doing it. That being said

Great beginning of the season for some Coyotes prospects:
The GREAT
Cam Dineen - 4gp 4goals 4assists 8pts, leading the OHL in scoring after 4 games.
Steenbergen - 3gp 6goals 5assists 11pts, leading the WHL in scoring after 3 games.
Erik Kallgren - 4gp 4 wins a 1.25gaa and .941 sv%

The GOOD
Walterholm - 6gp 2goals 4 assists 6pts, last season in 11 J20 games he had 1pt (goal), not bad start for the young swede

The BAD
PO Joseph - 3 games and nothing to show for it

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With fewer games played than almost all the guys ahead of him, Eeli Tolvanen is now 6th in the KHL in shots and goals and 9th in total points. I don't think I'm ever going to get over this.

Had we not traded for Stepan - and I like the deal - I wanted Tolvanen at 7. Great pick by Nashville.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
With Puljujarvi being sent back to the AHL and Keller leading the Coyotes in preseason scoring and poised to start the year on the top line, I want to take a victory lap.
You definitely seemed to have called it on Keller. Honest question though, if you were the GM sitting there and Pulju was available at #7 you think you'd have had the guts to take Keller over him?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Absolutely. I was always a little skeptical of Puljujarvi. His size and production were impressive, but whenever I saw him play, I found myself wondering where the hype came from and whether it was a case of him just developing early and getting a head start on his peers. My top 10 that year was:

1) Auston Matthews
2) Patrik Laine
3) Clayton Keller
4) Tyson Jost
5) Jesse Puljujarvi
6) Pierre-Luc Dubois
7) Max Jones
8) Charlie McAvoy
9) Matthew Tkachuk
10) Dante Fabbro

Based solely on my viewings, I would have left Puljujarvi outside of the top ten, but I was willing to grant that the scouting community that unanimously had him 3rd was maybe seeing something I was missing.

Keller was just such an exceptional performer every time I saw him that I couldn't have taken anyone other than Matthews or Laine over him. He generated turnovers and scoring chances pretty much every time he stepped on the ice, no matter who he was playing against. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a Coyotes prospect. I will be disappointed if he doesn't surpass Domi's rookie year production.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah. You were on the money, there. I had the obsession with Yamamoto and he's looking good too. We didn't pass on him though. We passed on Tolvanen. Rough.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Steenbergen is a literal god.

3 goals and 1 assist with 15mins left in 3rd.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Make it 4 goals for Steenbergen. My god. He is going to eat this league alive this year.

16pts in 4 games with 10 goals

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What is going on with Steenbergen? Is it that he has great linemates, overpowering younger less developed kids or did everything come together for him this year like Fisvher post draft? Does this guy have top 6 potential?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
What is going on with Steenbergen? Is it that he has great linemates, overpowering younger less developed kids or did everything come together for him this year like Fisvher post draft? Does this guy have top 6 potential?

Steenbergen was a very good value pick. I had him ranked 68th, well ahead of the 128th slot where he was taken and even ahead of Entwistle, the only other non-first rounder I liked this year, who I had at 87.

Pretty safe to say he'll cool down a bit, but Heponiemi is a great playmaker, so he's benefitting from that, and Steenbergen has an excellent shot. Neither is physically imposing nor especially fast, so I don't see either projecting as a high end scorer at the NHL level, but I could see a middle six scoring role down the road for Steenbergen.

Reactions: Grimes

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Agreed, Steenbergen has a very good shot, is crafty down low and he's "quick"...not fast, just a good first step that let's him make plays against the junior kids. The real question is whether he can be 'shifty' and use that quick 'first step' against men at the next level. The good news is that production goes a long way...and he's certainly producing at a high rate.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Steenbergen is also a year older. He went undrafted in his first year of eligibility. I like the selection, but it's not that uncommon for a 19, going on 20, year old to light the league up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad