2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope the scout who pushed to draft Casey Staum been fired by now.

if the person that suggested they sign Alzner isn't fired, why would you fire a guy for making a mistake in the 5th round? I could see if it was like David Fischer, or Ben Maxwell, Crisp, Thrower, Collberg, etc.. but once you get 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounds I guess I don't mind the mistakes on the later rounds. Plus he was injured for most of the year. Although I don't know what they saw him in in the first place, I know he went to a well known hockey school in the Minnesota USHS but McDonagh had more points in one season then Staum had in his entire USHS career.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
if the person that suggested they sign Alzner isn't fired, why would you fire a guy for making a mistake in the 5th round? I could see if it was like David Fischer, or Ben Maxwell, Crisp, Thrower, Collberg, etc.. but once you get 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounds I guess I don't mind the mistakes on the later rounds. Plus he was injured for most of the year. Although I don't know what they saw him in in the first place, I know he went to a well known hockey school in the Minnesota USHS but McDonagh had more points in one season then Staum had in his entire USHS career.

Obviously you adjust your expectations for late rounders, you expect first rounder to be a decent NHLer, but I expect a 5th rounder to be a good USHL player at 20y old, and be good enough to play in the NCAA at 21y old. Thats way too far off the mark for a 5th rounder, for that reason I would question the competency of the scout who pushed to draft him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Obviously you adjust your expectations for late rounders, you expect first rounder to be a decent NHLer, but I expect a 5th rounder to be a good USHL player at 20y old, and be good enough to play in the NCAA at 21y old. Thats way too far off the mark for a 5th rounder, for that reason I would question the competency of the scout who pushed to draft him.

if not for the season ending injury maybe he plays in the NCAA next year. I know the coach that recruited him at UNO retired and usually impacts the incoming players as they often will change schools. Guess we'll see what he does next year.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
this is how I would rank our top 10 prospects right now;

1- Poehling
2-Primeau
3-Brook
4-Juulsen
5-Fleury
6-Evans
7-Ikonen
8-Bitten
9-Hawkey
10-vejdemo

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I hope the scout who pushed to draft Casey Staum been fired by now.

Should have been fired when the selection was made.

Can't fire a guy over Alzner after 1 season. If the habs play better he'll look better and have more of a positive impact on the game.

A bunch of players sucked this year.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He didn't only win the scholastic award in the Q. He also won it for the entire CHL.

Nothing educated about what I'll say, but I have a great feeling about that kid, don't know why, I think his game will translate very well to the pros, got a 'Pascal Dupuis' vibe about him.

Then again, I had a great feeling about Jonathan Ferland back in the days... oh well, let's hope for the best ! :laugh:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Its a fifth rounder.

They took a chance on a guy with great skating and hoped some other areas of his game would develop. They didnt. Meh....

If you are gonna fire a scout over a failed fifth rounder you wont have many scouts left.

Im fine with a philosophy that takes a guy in the late rounds who has one great.attribute and some.warts. better than taking a guy who.is just average at everything.

Last edited:

Locks

May 28, 2005
Hopefully in 1 month, it’ll be.....

Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Kravtsov
Primeau

:nod:
Hope you are just having fun, because Kotkaniemi is likely a top 10 pick so it is close to impossible to end up with both him and Zadina. The more realistic scenario is Kotkaniemi OR Zadina AND Kravtsov if we acquire another first from the MaxPac trade. Then again they might decide to go after an LD like Miller with the extra first.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hope you are just having fun, because Kotkaniemi is likely a top 10 pick so it is close to impossible to end up with both him and Zadina. The more realistic scenario is Kotkaniemi OR Zadina AND Kravtsov if we acquire another first from the MaxPac trade. Then again they might decide to go after an LD like Miller with the extra first.
Ya, just having fun lol

Reactions: Locks

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

"Prospect Alexandre Alain was one of several youngsters recognized for their efforts on the ice and in the classroom on Tuesday."

I don't know but aren't the third and fifth players from the left a little over the hill? Or is one of them Galipeau? :sarcasm:

The joke would have worked a lot better if Guy wasn't photo bombing.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
this is how I would rank our top 10 prospects right now;

1- Poehling
2-Primeau
3-Brook
4-Juulsen
5-Fleury
6-Evans
7-Ikonen
8-Bitten
9-Hawkey
10-vejdemo

I'd still consider McNiven and Lindgren prospects and I'd have them on here. The top 5 has some promise but not mouth wateringly so. Hopefully we can do something about that this draft.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
It’s not always a bad idea to gamble on unknown prospects in later rounds

A good example is Jake Evans

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Casey staum

It’s a proof that you don’t just draft based on skating

You need skills that’s why we shouldn’t underrate zAdina

Reactions: Garnet76

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Poehling and Primeau are part of the Summer Showcase roster.

DfvMi1oVQAE-Ow6.jpg

Reactions: Treb

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
figured it but still nice to see Primeau get the nod as he's got to be the leader at this point to be the starter for Team USA although it's going to be very interesting to see what kind of season he has now that he doesn't have the best line in the NCAA out there putting up all those points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->