2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Cale Fleury is actually really good. Great passer and more physical than I thought.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Cale Fleury is actually really good. Great passer and more physical than I thought.
I really really really like Cale Fleury, easily one of our top prospects, wouldnt be surprised to see him become a very good second pairing defenseman in 2-3 yrs from now.. got 51 pts in 61 gp despite getting very little PP time...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Fleury does a bit of everything, he's the kind of dman you can send out there in any situation and trust he won't do anything dumb. He's got solid pro upside, maybe not as a game breaker but certainly as a big minute player. Brook has the superior pure tools but Fleury has that calm, reliable quality to his game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Considering Fleury will be 20 before Dec 31, that means he's going to Laval, correct? Great time to have Joel Bouchard come in.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With Poehling, Brook & Fleury, hopefully, Montreal had one of those ace drafts they usually get once a decade. All 3 looking real good.

So is Cayden Primeau, but as a goalie it's a harder & longer trajectory. I don't expect to see him in the AHL for another 3 years then at least 1-2 years in minors. Such a long development time for majority of goalies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Considering Fleury will be 20 before Dec 31, that means he's going to Laval, correct? Great time to have Joel Bouchard come in.

If they don't sign him to an ELC, he won't be able to play in Laval. Though he's eligible. And like I said in the Memorial Cup thread, if he plays the way he did last night the rest of this tournament, I can see them sign him as soon as this tournament is over.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It almost feels like we got another Juulsen in the 3rd round last year.

they both have impressive physical games, plus big shots and good frames/size. Juulsen is much better in his own end though as Fleury is ok but needs some work there, he's a better skater, quicker, more mobile then Juulsen.

yes, Laval for sure.

With Poehling, Brook & Fleury, hopefully, Montreal had one of those ace drafts they usually get once a decade. All 3 looking real good.

So is Cayden Primeau, but as a goalie it's a harder & longer trajectory. I don't expect to see him in the AHL for another 3 years then at least 1-2 years in minors. Such a long development time for majority of goalies.

We'll see how it goes for Primeau next year, he's going to be in tough as losing the best line in the NCAA is going to greatly impact his team so he's going to need to lead the way. Between how he plays there and at the WJC's, it will be very telling as to his future. If he is anything close to what he was this year, I don't see him going back for his Junior year unless he's one of those I want to get my degree types.

The good thing is the Habs don't have to rush him and having both Hawkey and Primeau turn pro at the same time isn't ideal.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I've liked Habs' drafts since MB took over for the most part. But I think 2017 and 2018 will be two drafts that may turn things around for this franchise.

I will also add Tyszka as a sleeper prospect for 2017.

But what's more encouraging is that it won't be Lefebvre and then Therrien who these kids will have to go through. It's Joel Bouchard and Claude Julien/Dominique Ducharme now. And that fills me with a lot of confidence.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yes, he'll play in the AHL next season. I'm hoping Mete gets sent to the AHL too, but we'll see what a summer of training does for him. He'd play 25 minutes a night, PP & PK, all defensive situations, in the AHL. It's a better situation for him.

Fleury, Mete, Bourque, maybe Lernout would give us a decent young core on D in Laval then we add Brook & maybe Tyzska & Walford next year. The depth on D is getting better & should improve more after this year's draft too.

I expect we'll take at least 1 D, probably 2, among our first 6 picks this year.

With Primeau & Hawkey, we're good with goalie prospects too.

Really need to upgrade the forward situation. A lot rides on the development of Evans & Poehling. Hopefully Bouchard can help some of these prospects take the next step.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I've liked Habs' drafts since MB took over for the most part. But I think 2017 and 2018 will be two drafts that may turn things around for this franchise.

I will also add Tyszka as a sleeper prospect for 2017.

But what's more encouraging is that it won't be Lefebvre and then Therrien who these kids will have to go through. It's Joel Bouchard and Claude Julien/Dominique Ducharme now. And that fills me with a lot of confidence.
With Timmins drafting and those guys choaching, there is hope.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
With Churla drafting and those guys choaching, there is hope.

Little correction.

Didn't really like the ouctome of MB drafts so far, BUT, I'm -really- hopeful for the last 2, I think 2016 and 2017 will bring the depth we've been sorely lacking for a long time.

And I think 2018 will be determining if we, indeed, have a potential soon-to-be strong future.

My wish was for Lefebvre to get canned before he ruins the next 'batch' of prospects.

Having Bouchard there, really is a dream come true.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Little correction.

Didn't really like the ouctome of MB drafts so far, BUT, I'm -really- hopeful for the last 2, I think 2016 and 2017 will bring the depth we've been sorely lacking for a long time.

And I think 2018 will be determining if we, indeed, have a potential soon-to-be strong future.

My wish was for Lefebvre to get canned before he ruins the next 'batch' of prospects.

Having Bouchard there, really is a dream come true.

We know Churla is Director of Amateur Scouting, but we also know Timmins truly oversees that department. Timmins described his recently appointed position as Assistant GM as simply being able to have input on what happens to the prospects after they are drafted.

An example he used was when Habs traded McDonagh, he was upset and was never consulted. But in the Sergachev trade, he had input on what happens because he's part of the decision making process now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->