2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah I was talking about the camp roster, probably wasn't that clear in my original post. I was curious about whether Kaspick would be invited to the camp as it would mean that he has a pretty decent shot at making the team. His overall skillset is different than most players that will get invited as he's more of an energy player rather than a scorer. I see Canada running 3 scoring lines and 1 energy line, and Kaspick could be a decent fit on the energy line.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I think Kaspick will be invited. Button had Kaspick as his guess as the 13th forward so that leads me to believe he’s got a decent shot to make the team so I’d think he will at least be invited to the camp. I guess we’ll see though!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Looks like Kostin and Torpochenko will be staying in NA all season. Russia is banned from the 2018 Winter Games in all sports for "systematic doping".

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Looks like Kaspick has been invited to Canada's WJC camp. Kyrou and Thomas were also invited but that's no surprise.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Looks like Kostin and Torpochenko will be staying in NA all season. Russia is banned from the 2018 Winter Games in all sports for "systematic doping".

Why would that effect Kostin Or Toro? They could still go to WJC if they are invited.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why would that effect Kostin Or Toro? They could still go to WJC if they are invited.
Which would still be in NA.

I don't see Russia fielding a team for the Olympics, even if they could do so under a "neutral flag", because I can't see how they could put together a coaching staff or any administrative support without violating the ban.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Kaspick is a typical NHL level 3/4 liner. He is a grinder that is solid positionally - takes the body, 2nd in team in PIM. He is the captain on his team for a reason. He makes his living in front of the net. He skates well enough and is very physical. He isn't a sniper or puck handler - more of a dump, chase, net front presence.

If he makes the WJC it is in a defensive role - likely 4th line. Very similar player to Musil.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kaspick is a typical NHL level 3/4 liner. He is a grinder that is solid positionally - takes the body, 2nd in team in PIM. He is the captain on his team for a reason. He makes his living in front of the net. He skates well enough and is very physical. He isn't a sniper or puck handler - more of a dump, chase, net front presence.

If he makes the WJC it is in a defensive role - likely 4th line. Very similar player to Musil.

Does he have size? (I guess I could look it up lol)

Edit: 19 yrs old 6’1 203

Nice, my kind of player. Hope he fills out even more

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Kaspick isn't anything special. Could carve out a similar career to Upshall if he makes the pros but I could just as easily see him being a career AHLer.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Never have been a fan of Kaspick, mostly because there just isn't anything about him that stands out. With Blais, it was his intelligence, with Musil, it was his aggressiveness, even Poganski has an explosive first step. All of these guys had something I could point to and say that they may find an NHL career because they had this thing.

Kaspick doesn't have anything for me. His skating isn't really that good. He's not fast, his balance is average, and maneuverability is subpar. Half the time he looks like a wind-up doll that needs 3 more turns before he can start moving again. His hands are made of granite as he can barely hold onto the puck. However his shot is somewhat decent once he stops batting the puck around like a cat playing with a mouse when trying to settle it. The "high" point about him would probably be his positioning. He does find himself in the right areas more often than not. But I wouldn't call him Blais or Thomas level intelligence. He's just smart enough to know where to be and when to get there.

All in all, I can't say I'm excited for his future. I'm not going to write him off completely because he could easily improve. I wasn't a fan of Musil initially but he managed to progress at a quick clip, so Kaspick could easily do the same. But as of now, I think he's destined for minor league play.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So after all the Toropchenko talk, I decided to pop on over to the Guelph board to see what was up. Apparently Storm fans are actually pretty happy with the guy despite the numbers. One fan said he was going through some bad luck because it seemed like all of Toropcheko's golden opportunities were met with shattered sticks or highlight reel saves. But, despite all that, fans are saying he's playing a fine defensive game and looks to be getting better.

I know we were all hoping he would breakout, but it's hard for guys to travel halfway around the world into a very different environment and expect to play great right off the bat. It's even harder for a raw, 18 year old kid. Hopefully he starts hitting his stride and can become an NHL player, because I do think he has the speed and physical tools to be a bottom-9 option.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Sorry if this sounds weird. But is Thomas projected to fit in with the current core like Pie, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Parayko, etc? Or do we consider him the start of the next core? He looks very legit and I hope he can be part of this amazing young core that possibly goes for the cup within the next year or two.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Sorry if this sounds weird. But is Thomas projected to fit in with the current core like Pie, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Parayko, etc? Or do we consider him the start of the next core? He looks very legit and I hope he can be part of this amazing young core that possibly goes for the cup within the next year or two.
Lidstrom won back-to-back Cups with Detroit when Yzerman, Shanahan, Federov, Konstantinov, etc. were the "core" in Detroit. Four years later he won one when Hull, Robataille, and Chelios had replaced previous core guys. Then he won another five years later age 37 when most of the second wave of guys were gone and the team core was now Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Franzen, etc.

I'm trying to illustrate two points with that information. First is that the notion of correlating a specific group of players with a specific competitive window can be an unnecessarily limiting perspective. A good organization can orchestrate an extended run of competitive success that far exceeds the peak years of a handful of their best players, provided that they draft and manage their assets well to maintain a steady influx of talent. It's important to realize that sacrificing the future while chasing the peak years of a specific handful of players can actually be a counter-productive mindset for an organization.

The second is that age shouldn't really be a consideration for whether a player is part of the core or not. Moving on from Lidstrom just because he was hitting his mid-30s when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were hitting their primes would have been a huge mistake. You're part of the core as long as you're filling a necessary role at a high level, regardless of age. Having all your best players hitting their primes together is definitely not a prerequisite for winning.

If Thomas can step in and fill a role at a high level while those other guys are around and doing the same, then I'd say he's part of the current competitive core. If this year's play is any indication, he has a pretty decent chance of doing just that.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Toropchenko has been good for Guelph. I have caught maybe 4/5 games (I watch London most and Sarnia second most) and he has been snake bitten. He’s had some chances he probably should have buried but in no way has he been a liability. He is such a big body and holds the puck well. He actually seems like a great passer a lot of his helpers are on simple give and gos. He’s always around the net so he will get his chances. Pretty impressive for a kid moving to NA with no English etc

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lidstrom won back-to-back Cups with Detroit when Yzerman, Shanahan, Federov, Konstantinov, etc. were the "core" in Detroit. Four years later he won one when Hull, Robataille, and Chelios had replaced previous core guys. Then he won another five years later age 37 when most of the second wave of guys were gone and the team core was now Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Franzen, etc.

I'm trying to illustrate two points with that information. First is that the notion of correlating a specific group of players with a specific competitive window can be an unnecessarily limiting perspective. A good organization can orchestrate an extended run of competitive success that far exceeds the peak years of a handful of their best players, provided that they draft and manage their assets well to maintain a steady influx of talent. It's important to realize that sacrificing the future while chasing the peak years of a specific handful of players can actually be a counter-productive mindset for an organization.

The second is that age shouldn't really be a consideration for whether a player is part of the core or not. Moving on from Lidstrom just because he was hitting his mid-30s when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were hitting their primes would have been a huge mistake. You're part of the core as long as you're filling a necessary role at a high level, regardless of age. Having all your best players hitting their primes together is definitely not a prerequisite for winning.

If Thomas can step in and fill a role at a high level while those other guys are around and doing the same, then I'd say he's part of the current competitive core. If this year's play is any indication, he has a pretty decent chance of doing just that.

Yeah, it's not this core or that core, it's just the current core of the team.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Yeah, it's not this core or that core, it's just the current core of the team.
To be fair, 1) a team getting 2 franchise C's in the 7th rounds of back-to-back drafts will never happen again, and 2) teams aren't built through FA anymore like back in the 90s/00s. tbf

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
To be fair, 1) a team getting 2 franchise C's in the 7th rounds of back-to-back drafts will never happen again, and 2) teams aren't built through FA anymore like back in the 90s/00s. tbf

That is 100% correct. Teams build through the draft and having kids play in ELC is critical. The other piece is cap management. You can’t overpay for your talent.

On a side note, Husso was recalled on an emergency basis. And Barbashev scored Wednesday.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Pretty sure I saw that he had to go down to make room for Husso. Hutton's injury doesn't/didn't require IR so someone had to go down to get Husso up.

Reactions: 2 Minute Minor

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Yeah. I'd imagine he'll be back up as soon as Hutton is healthy. Unfortunate for him cause he's the only person they can send down in an emergency like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad