Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
DS1OvEaVwAAQXIC.jpg

Reactions: Blackjack

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It's not like they can drink lol

And they couldn't use their phones for the whole tournament I think, at the very least leading up to the knock-out games. It's kind of funny that they're all on it at once but otherwise, eh...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Refs seemed to favor Canada.
I think an argument can be made that Canada got away with a couple things that could have been penalties. Sweden earned their penalties though and have nothing to complain about with getting 6 of them.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I understand the frustration but it's an immature act.

I'd say it's a lot worse than an immature act. A LOT worse. Because the fact he was playing for his nation makes it 10x worse to boot. What he did is pretty disgraceful.

Refs seemed to favor Canada.

I didnt watch the game, but I've already read this 100 times. Did Sweden get screwed by the refs basically?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I didnt watch the game, but I've already read this 100 times. Did Sweden get screwed by the refs basically?
No. I'd say Canada benefited from getting away with some things that should have been penalties, but it's not like Sweden got dinged for weak calls. They had 3 obvious interference penalties, 2 obvious trips, and a roughing penalty at the end that had to be called. Power plays were 6-1 for Canada, probably should have been 6-3, maybe 6-4.

Reactions: Darkauron

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well that seems like a pretty big deal. Especially given the clip PP goals are scored in WJCs.
Perhaps, but Canada came into the game with the #1 power play at 57%, and didn't score on any of their 6 power plays while giving up a shorthanded goal. Sweden only had a 24% power play before this game and Canada had the #1 penalty kill at 88%. No guarantee a few extra power plays wins Sweden that game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So does the end of the WJC push the Pettersson’s redraft narrative to the background again? I hope so. I did learn from it that as it turns out Pettersson’s points are significantly reliant on PP points Which I didn’t know before the tournament. Now I guess that puts some context to the “better than Peter Forsberg” posters. If someone showed up having watched even five NJ games and broke down Hischier’s shifts and explained why Pettersson would be better in each instance with specific examples then sure you listen and it’s at least an arguable opinion but the AINEC types who make blanket statements with vague support “I’ve paid attention to Nico” are getting old.

Again I fully understand that in three to five years Pettersson might be better but there is nothing outside of a possibly invalid statistical argument that even arguably supports that right now.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So does the end of the WJC push the Pettersson’s redraft narrative to the background again? I hope so. I did learn from it that as it turns out Pettersson’s points are significantly reliant on PP points Which I didn’t know before the tournament. Now I guess that puts some context to the “better than Peter Forsberg” posters. If someone showed up having watched even five NJ games and broke down Hischier’s shifts and explained why Pettersson would be better in each instance with specific examples then sure you listen and it’s at least an arguable opinion but the AINEC types who make blanket statements with vague support “I’ve paid attention to Nico” are getting old.

Again I fully understand that in three to five years Pettersson might be better but there is nothing outside of a possibly invalid statistical argument that even arguably supports that right now.
Even if you just straight up used NHLe to predict his point totals in the NHL for next season (D+2), which is highly suspect anyways, in 40 games he'd have 31 points but only 15 even strength points. Hischier has 21 even strength points in 40 games in his D+1 season, and even strength production has always been a better metric for looking at current and future success as you spend most of the game at even strength, and power plays are not always consistently strong from year to year.

Pettersson has a lot of talent, but he also has a lot of refining to do before he can be a well rounded NHL player like Hischier already is today.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pettersson had the same amount of points in this years WJC in 2 more games than Nico had last season, as a 17 year old. On a much better team.

Lol
Nico had 3 power play points and 4 even strength points at 17, and was just all around dominant on a pretty weak team.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad