Prospect Info: 2017-18 Winnipeg Jets

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am curious if any players not presently on the Winnipeg Jets are trending towards possibly making the team next year? Are any of our AHL defensemen making great improvements with the Moose? I remember Kostalek had a good WJHC a few years ago. What about Poolman? Glover?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Possibly Poolman. No D man currently on the Moose are even close to NHL ready.

Forwards? Roslovic Connor De Leo and Lemieux could probably all fill roles on a Maurice coached team.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm hoping MLA becomes fourth line and we see a third line of Roslo, Connor, and Dano. Could spread ice time nicely with that.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I am curious if any players not presently on the Winnipeg Jets are trending towards possibly making the team next year? Are any of our AHL defensemen making great improvements with the Moose? I remember Kostalek had a good WJHC a few years ago. What about Poolman? Glover?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I've watched quite a bit of the Moose and I can say without a doubt that none of them are ready, and won't be for quite some time.

It says a lot when the best d-man is on an AHL contract (Czuczman).

Kostalek had a very disappointing rookie year last year and a rough start to this year. He's looked a lot better since Christmas though. He's improved a lot at repelling opposition zone entries, but his overall game still needs some work.

Nogier has been much better than I expected in his rookie year, but I was really down on him previously. He's pretty good at playing 2 on 1s, and has a decent shot. However, his breakouts are atrocious and he pinches at very inappropriate times, making him tilt the ice in the wrong direction. I'm not sure if you can teach hockey smarts enough to fix his game.

None of the other players are legitimate prospects, due to having hit their peaks already, or just being terrible. Or Both!

As for other D-men in our prospect pool, Poolman and Niku are probably the closest, but I think Poolman needs a year of AHL, while Niku probably needs 2

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't think the Jets dress many rookies out of TC this fall. They have integrated a lot of youth over the last couple of years. Maybe Connor? I don't know about Poolman.
I think Chevy gets a D man for the bottom pairing but I'd rather see a top 1/2 LHD. Postma will probably sign somewhere else in free agency.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've watched quite a bit of the Moose and I can say without a doubt that none of them are ready, and won't be for quite some time.

Kostalek had a very disappointing rookie year last year and a rough start to this year. He's looked a lot better since Christmas though. He's improved a lot at repelling opposition zone entries, but his overall game still needs some work.

Nogier has been much better than I expected in his rookie year, but I was really down on him previously. He's pretty good at playing 2 on 1s, and has a decent shot. However, his breakouts are atrocious and he pinches at very inappropriate times, making him tilt the ice in the wrong direction. I'm not sure if you can teach hockey smarts enough to fix his game.

None of the other players are legitimate prospects, due to having hit their peaks already, or just being terrible. Or Both!

As for other D-men in our prospect pool, Poolman and Niku are probably the closest, but I think Poolman needs a year of AHL, while Niku probably needs 2

Bang on.

I wouldn't be shocked if Poolman makes the Jets next season, depending on what the Jets decide to do with Chiarot (RFA) and Postma (UFA). Ideally, the Jets acquire a good top-4 LHD, in which case Poolman starts in the AHL for sure.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't think the Jets dress many rookies out of TC this fall. They have integrated a lot of youth over the last couple of years. Maybe Connor? I don't know about Poolman.
I think Chevy gets a D man for the bottom pairing but I'd rather see a top 1/2 LHD. Postma will probably sign somewhere else in free agency.

Roslovic? Arguably playing better than Connor.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Roslovic? Arguably playing better than Connor.

Where does Roslo slate in though?
I can't see him playing 1C or 2C...3rd line? If not, leave him on the Moose to get minutes. I think the Jets want him to play center not wing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ideally, some combo of this:

Forwards:
Laine, Scheifele, Little, Ehlers, Wheeler, Dano, Armia, Lowry, Matthias, Perreault, Connor, Roslovic

Defence:
Byfuglien, Enstrom, Trouba, Myers, Poolman, UFA

Goalie:
Hellebuyck, UFA (Chad Johnson would be pretty nice I think)

That said, I think my forwards might be a bit off, especially as we're likely to lose one of them in the XD, so put Copp in there as a replacement.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bang on.

I wouldn't be shocked if Poolman makes the Jets next season, depending on what the Jets decide to do with Chiarot (RFA) and Postma (UFA). Ideally, the Jets acquire a good top-4 LHD, in which case Poolman starts in the AHL for sure.

If Jets acquire a LHD, either top 4 or 3rd pair it pushes Poolman to the right side. If we have Trouba and a healthy Myers that would push him to the PB. I expect Jets would rather have him playing in the AHL than sitting in the NHL. OTOH if he is sent to the AHL because he is not ready, not capable of playing 3rd pair, at his age and after 4 years of NCAA, then I doubt he has much NHL potential at all.

Again, IF the Jets acquire a good LHD then Chia probably becomes #7. If they want to go with 8 D would they acquire another Strait (at least a better one next time, I hope)? Or would they put an AHL guy in the PB? Maybe they give Czuczman a cheap NHL contract and let him sit there. They could do worse and have.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ideally, some combo of this:

Forwards:
Laine, Scheifele, Little, Ehlers, Wheeler, Dano, Armia, Lowry, Matthias, Perreault, Connor, Roslovic

Defence:
Byfuglien, Enstrom, Trouba, Myers, Poolman, UFA

Goalie:
Hellebuyck, UFA (Chad Johnson would be pretty nice I think)

That said, I think my forwards might be a bit off, especially as we're likely to lose one of them in the XD, so put Copp in there as a replacement.

You forgot JoMo

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If stats tell you that Alzner is no better than Chiarot, check your numbers.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If stats tell you that Alzner is no better than Chiarot, check your numbers.

He's bad and it's not just numbers.
I mean, sure I have sophisticated numbers that point out he's not worth what he's going to get nor is not much of an upgrade, but also I have watched his games, tracked his zone transition numbers, and have friends who do what I do for WPG for WSH.
In the end, it's a guy that's out shot and out scored, and that's not what we want.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I thought I read somewhere that he was top 5 in goals against per 60? Maybe I am getting him mixed up with someone else but I am sure it was Alzner.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he'd be great with Buff.
He's a 2LHD on one of the best if not the best team in the league.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is a legit stay at home D man that knows how to clear the net and plays the PK. His salary will be driven up if he hits free agency so I really don't see Alzner coming here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought I read somewhere that he was top 5 in goals against per 60? Maybe I am getting him mixed up with someone else but I am sure it was Alzner.

Holtby and >0.938 on ice save % (5v5) might have something to do with that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Alzner is the prototypical bad player that appears good because he is surrounded with elite talent.

I personally think the Jets need to stay far away from him especially at what some GM'S will pay him.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Good break down, thanks for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad