2018/19 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No, the GM just has a different way of doing things, they used to be the assistant GM for the Rangers, not every team and manager has to do things in the typical junior cycle way.

True but he's only been there for 6 years next summer. If they can keep doing what they've been doing until 2022 then I'll tip my hat. Until then it's just another impressive run like many teams have had in years past. Brandon has had a 12 year run, Kamloops had a 24 year run, Kelowna has two 10 year runs. But no matter what eventually they have to rebuild a some point. Even then sometimes a rebuild in the CHL is just flipping top players real quick, like Brandon just did and using other teams high picks to rebuild while still making the playoffs.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
There is a difference when you say rebuild though, I mean PG now just have a goalie a forward and one other player, other teams can retool or reload on the fly, if the market is attractive and the GM is good then teams should continue to do well, Kelowna are outstanding in this regard.

Victoria has 15 picks in the upcoming draft including their 1st, so chances are they will be ok, though they did not have a top pick for a few drafts until now, which may or may not hurt them, but looks like they will be ok, I said before just cause you have a high pick does not mean the player will be good, it might increase your chances, but the scouting has to be bang on, they've never had that 1st round NHL talent though.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
True but he's only been there for 6 years next summer. If they can keep doing what they've been doing until 2022 then I'll tip my hat. Until then it's just another impressive run like many teams have had in years past. Brandon has had a 12 year run, Kamloops had a 24 year run, Kelowna has two 10 year runs. But no matter what eventually they have to rebuild a some point. Even then sometimes a rebuild in the CHL is just flipping top players real quick, like Brandon just did and using other teams high picks to rebuild while still making the playoffs.

So how well does a team have to do in order to be successful in your eyes, I mean to say they have just been impressive runs sounds like you expect too much, when you say runs do you mean years without missing playoffs? Usually when a team does that well they should be seen as succesful, though in the Royals case they have never been past the 2nd round of the playoffs, so you can say that they haven't been that successful in that case, but this is at least in part due to the fact they've never had very high end talent, if they could only draft better they would be a very class team.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Barlage has played 2 games for the Canes and has 2 game winning goals.

SO winner in his debut the other night, and 2 third period goals tonight.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Barlage has played 2 games for the Canes and has 2 game winning goals.

SO winner in his debut the other night, and 2 third period goals tonight.

Him and Cozens showing great chemistry so far. They are a duo to look out for in the 2019 Draft.

Reactions: BurnEmUp

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Him and Cozens showing great chemistry so far. They are a duo to look out for in the 2019 Draft.

Yeah, 2 assists tonight for Barglage, now 2+2 in 4 games since the trade, plus the SO winner.

Cozens is out of this world hot since the trade. 5+4 in 3 games.

Not bad for a couple of 16 year olds.

Nice to see blocker get his first point as a Cane tonight as well. He assisted on Kelti-Leon's first goal as a Cane.

3-0 since the shake up and now above .500 and firmly into 2nd place in the Central. Early, but looks like Anholt made out great with all his moves.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
So how well does a team have to do in order to be successful in your eyes, I mean to say they have just been impressive runs sounds like you expect too much, when you say runs do you mean years without missing playoffs? Usually when a team does that well they should be seen as succesful, though in the Royals case they have never been past the 2nd round of the playoffs, so you can say that they haven't been that successful in that case, but this is at least in part due to the fact they've never had very high end talent, if they could only draft better they would be a very class team.

As a PG fan, I'd love to see the 2nd round. We last made it out of round one in 2007, and then in 2009, 2011, 2016 we got swept in round one, winning one game in 2014 and two last season.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hurricanes are 8-2-3 since the deadline.

Never would thought that would happen after trading their leading scorer and #1 goalie, as well as other depth veterans. Bellerive has just taken it to another level, Morrison has been a solid add, and Jeri-Leon was a nice find as well. Flodell has really steadied the goaltending too, as Skinner was really inconsistent this year. Probably bored, he's been a starter for 4 seasons now since he was 16.

With the Tigers really slumping the Hurricanes have a realistic shot at 1st place in the division now, although that would mean a 1st round match up with likely Brandon or Regina instead of Kootenay. Not much of a reward for finishing 1st.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Royals take over 1st in the BC division with a pair of wins against Kelowna (though Kelowna has 2 games in hand).

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
Was just told from the league that there is pending action against Everett forward Sean Richards for his hit in last nights game against Seattle.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
**** really?

Yeah Gawdin is out too. Not sure whats up with him. Broncos missing two of their 3 top scorers could hurt them in the first round. Swift takes on Regina in the first round as well. So one of the titans will fall. Moose Jaw takes on PA. Kind of scary because they have played really well against us all season. Close games typically. Hopefully the Warriors bring it! Warriors clinched their first ever regular season championship as well with their win over PA.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah Gawdin is out too. Not sure whats up with him. Broncos missing two of their 3 top scorers could hurt them in the first round. Swift takes on Regina in the first round as well. So one of the titans will fall. Moose Jaw takes on PA. Kind of scary because they have played really well against us all season. Close games typically. Hopefully the Warriors bring it!

Yeah I don’t see SC beating Regina if Gawdin and Steenbergen are out. That’s some shitty luck.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But it's not just Steenbergen and Gawdin, they're stacked this year.

With Gawdin and Steenbergen out they don't stand a chance against Regina. They are stacked but Gawdin and Steenebergen are more than 50% of their offence. Hepo is great but he can't beat Regina by himself.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Estephan and Gennaro aren't chopped liver. Although yeah it will be tough for the Broncos without Steenburgen and Gawdin against Regina.
Lethbridge has lost 8 games in a row. Oh well just getting our losses out of the way, before the playoffs.:sarcasm:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
With Gawdin and Steenbergen out they don't stand a chance against Regina. They are stacked but Gawdin and Steenebergen are more than 50% of their offence. Hepo is great but he can't beat Regina by himself.

Not just Heponiemi, they have Skinner, Gennaro, Scissons, Estevan, they're still solid. My favourites to start the year was Portland, but they're looking questionable.

Vancouver is my darkhorse pick because I just know Benson is just hungry to win in the playoffs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not just Heponiemi, they have Skinner, Gennaro, Scissons, Estevan, they're still solid. My favourites to start the year was Portland, but they're looking questionable.

Vancouver is my darkhorse pick because I just know Benson is just hungry to win in the playoffs.

Warriors are going to take it if Steenbergen and Gawdin stay out. Halbegwachs is on another level right now. Almeida is playing some great hockey. They just need to get a few defencemen back.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Moose Jaw vs Prince Albert
Swift Current vs Regina
Medicine Hat vs Brandon
Lethbridge vs Red Deer

Kelowna vs Tri City
Victoria vs Vancouver
Everett vs Seattle
Portland vs Spokane

What are everyone's predictions?

PG Canuck