2018/19 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
K this deadline officially outta control... there are gonna be some firings upcoming when some of these teams lose in round 1

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Brandon deals Clague to Moose Jaw for Burzan, Hartje and two 1sts and a 2nd.

They've also dealt Kaspick to Victoria for Lambos, Thorpe and two more 1sts.

Third best team in the league selling hard, because they are also the 3rd best team in their division I guess?

Holy crap.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant wait to see which of these teams that are going all in will lose in 1st round... Playoff seedings will be HUGE

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
PG is going to be good in a year or two. Is there a place to see everybody's draft picks?

First step is getting all those picks, next step is picking the right players - which is the biggest step. They can't screw these picks up or it's going to be a dark 5-7 years.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Lots of movement for the Canes at the deadline this year. To sum up who's out and who I see them being replaced by:

Skinner ('98) -> Flodell ('97) *Also means more starts for Klassen ('99)
Estephan ('97) -> Morrison ('97)
Riddle ('97) -> Stanley ('98)
Pouteau ('98) -> Probably one of Cotton ('01) or Jones ('01)
Nagel ('98) -> Blocker ('00)
Zablocki ('98) -> Barlage ('01)
Bowen ('98) -> Jeri-Leon ('00)

Canes also added Horon ('01) and then the following picks were dealt/acquired:

In: 2018 2nd, 2018 6th, 2018 7th, 2019 3rd (Cond), 2019 8th, 2020 1st, 2020 3rd, 2021 2nd (Cond)
Out: 2019 6th, 2019 7th

Got a lot younger, and brought in a ton of picks. Hopefully they still make the playoffs and draw a weak 1st round match up thanks to the soft Central while building for the years ahead.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If anyone has seen Justin Almeida play for Moose Jaw...is he just benefiting from being on a really good team, or is he actually playing as well as his stats indicate? Interested how he has been.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If anyone has seen Justin Almeida play for Moose Jaw...is he just benefiting from being on a really good team, or is he actually playing as well as his stats indicate? Interested how he has been.

Playing extremely well. He is quite easily our best defensive forward and his awareness and positional play are what helps him get offensive opportunities. He is shooting the puck a lot better this year as well. Huge turnaround for us after the Popugayev debacle.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The #6 ranked team in the nation decides to be sellers and deal probably their 2 best players, what the.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
First step is getting all those picks, next step is picking the right players - which is the biggest step. They can't screw these picks up or it's going to be a dark 5-7 years.

Yeah, the problem with the bantam draft is you can pick #1 and still hit a dud, best bet is to have a quantity of picks as opposed to quality.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The #6 ranked team in the nation decides to be sellers and deal probably their 2 best players, what the.

Brandon seems to be really stocking up on picks over the next 4 years. They have 16 picks in the first two rounds over the next 4 drafts. With some really intriguing prospects coming up in the next couple of years I think they have a decent idea of what they are doing. They could have been buyers but some of the teams in the WHL are just way to loaded. I actually think they made a pretty good move in acquiring a bunch of picks from current contenders that are likely to be in tough spots over the coming years. Specifically Moose Jaw and Victoria.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Brandon seems to be really stocking up on picks over the next 4 years. They have 16 picks in the first two rounds over the next 4 drafts. With some really intriguing prospects coming up in the next couple of years I think they have a decent idea of what they are doing. They could have been buyers but some of the teams in the WHL are just way to loaded. I actually think they made a pretty good move in acquiring a bunch of picks from current contenders that are likely to be in tough spots over the coming years. Specifically Moose Jaw and Victoria.

I disagree about Victoria, they always find a way to at least be a playoff team, more likely they are decently competitive, they find ways to get decent players, Jared Legien for instance was a great signing in the off-season, looked to be done at this level, looking at their team for next season it's likely to be a playoff team again, though not as good as this years.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Kelowna were surprisingly quiet, if they add a piece or 2 would be quite good.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I disagree about Victoria, they always find a way to at least be a playoff team, more likely they are decently competitive, they find ways to get decent players, Jared Legien for instance was a great signing in the off-season, looked to be done at this level, looking at their team for next season it's likely to be a playoff team again, though not as good as this years.

Yeah they definitely have some talent to keep them going but at some point every team rebuilds, unless they are cheating to get talent. But even so those teams will often times blow it up for picks at some point.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah they definitely have some talent to keep them going but at some point every team rebuilds, unless they are cheating to get talent. But even so those teams will often times blow it up for picks at some point.

No, the GM just has a different way of doing things, they used to be the assistant GM for the Rangers, not every team and manager has to do things in the typical junior cycle way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad