Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think he's an average NHL goalie, which is still a valuable player. Just not great, and certainly not top 10 in the league or worth that absurd contract.

Of course, if Parsons becomes an average NHL goalie, he will be a successful pick.

I think I'd be really hard pressed to list 10 goalies that are without a doubt better than Quick.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think I'd be really hard pressed to list 10 goalies that are without a doubt better than Quick.

Maybe, but the 5-20 goalie group in which Quick resides is virtually interchangeable.

Personally I can see the similarities to Quick but I do think Parsons has better puck moving skill.

I'm just going to patiently watch him develop. Goalies are a wild card. I still have this feeling in my gut Mason McDonald suddenly figures it all out. Laugh all you want.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Maybe, but the 5-20 goalie group in which Quick resides is virtually interchangeable.

Personally I can see the similarities to Quick but I do think Parsons has better puck moving skill.

I'm just going to patiently watch him develop. Goalies are a wild card. I still have this feeling in my gut Mason McDonald suddenly figures it all out. Laugh all you want.

Dunno about virtually interchangeable, but highly debatable sure.

I'm mostly eager to see how Parsons does in pro. If he dominates this year in the AHL, I'm super excited for our future organizationally.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Dunno about virtually interchangeable, but highly debatable sure.

I'm mostly eager to see how Parsons does in pro. If he dominates this year in the AHL, I'm super excited for our future organizationally.

pretty sure Parsons is going to be Alaska's starter

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would put my bets on a mid-season Gillies trade if he doesn't light the world on fire, allowing Parsons to play in the AHL. It's crunch time for Gillies.

I dunno man, 23 just isn't that old for a goalie.

More likely that Rittich gets traded to a team that has goalie injuries plague them I think.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Exactly anyone saying 23 is old for goalies is out to lunch on that one. Most goalies start getting into their own when they are around 26 or 27. I'd give Gillies another couples seasons to say the least.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I dunno man, 23 just isn't that old for a goalie.

More likely that Rittich gets traded to a team that has goalie injuries plague them I think.

Gillies is still young but he will be 24 in January. If he is outplayed by Rittich for a second straight year there is no reason to delay the develpment of Tyler Parsons. We let Ortio go at age 24 too.

If Rittich outplays Gillies again, trading him would be downright irrational.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Rittich outplays Gillies and Lack doesn't do well, then promote Rittich in 18-19 and keep Gillies in Stockton. Not sure why either has to be traded

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If Rittich outplays Gillies and Lack doesn't do well, then promote Rittich in 18-19 and keep Gillies in Stockton. Not sure why either has to be traded

Parsons needs a starter's load, 50+ games. I am not saying there is a need to trade Gillies but if we perceive him as having value, we should capitalize.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Parsons needs a starter's load, 50+ games. I am not saying there is a need to trade Gillies but if we perceive him as having value, we should capitalize.

There's been a lot of discussion about recouping some picks on Gillies.
More or less:

IF Gillies wins the net from Rittich (keep in mind, Gillies was coming off a major surgery), then you simply run with Gillies & Rittich in the AHL. If Rittich takes the net, is by far the better goalie between the two, you try and get some value out of Gillies. There are a number of teams out there who could use a goalie prospect.

Parsons will be the backstop to Kansas this season. I can also see him dominating that league in net. Mason is in a very, very tough spot in his development. He's been leapfrogged by a junior God and a free agent import.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I would put my bets on a mid-season Gillies trade if he doesn't light the world on fire, allowing Parsons to play in the AHL. It's crunch time for Gillies.
I suggested a while ago we ship him before last year's TDL due to lack of room, but now I wonder why would there be interest in him? The only way he could become an ask is he does "light the world on fire". Why would anyone want a 23 yo goalie who continues to be meh?

I mean, if you have space for a 23-24 yo goalie prospect, there's always 2-3 promising NCAA UFAs.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Re: the Gillies and Rittich discussion -

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone bring up the nearly identical contracts they signed this offseason. To me, the message was very clear: one of you will play in the NHL, and one of you will be dumped, it's a head-to-head competition. Flames acquired a backup who has huge question marks and cleared waivers last year. Both Gillies and Rittich have an opening, and each are prospects of similar quality.

Management is putting Gillies and Rittich's fates into their own respective hands and telling one of them to prove he can play in the NHL. They see it as a toss up where they can really only hold on to one before Parsons is going to need to play for the Heat.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Almost as likely that Rittich or gillies could steal a roster spot from Lack this training camp. Unless they both fall flat on their faces Gillies/ Ritchich are auditioning for at least a few games As well as being the front runner for next years back-up.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Almost as likely that Rittich or gillies could steal a roster spot from Lack this training camp. Unless they both fall flat on their faces Gillies/ Ritchich are auditioning for at least a few games As well as being the front runner for next years back-up.

Lack will be given every opportunity to succeed, but if he ***** the bed early in the season I bet they call up Rittich and send Lack down to back up Gillies.

FWIW I think Lack rebounds and plays pretty well

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Was at the Flames practice today at WinSport. Here are my thoughts on a couple of the Flames prospects that were there:
  • Andersson wasn't great, seemed overwhelmed at times with the fast pace of the scrimmage, though he did have to defend against quite a few odd man rushes. Reminded me of the Andersson we saw vs. the Kings.
  • Kulak was pretty good. Made some mistakes, but had a nice goal.
  • It was hard to see much of Jankowski as he didn't spend much time defending and was mostly in the attacking zone at the other side of the rink, which was far away. I believe he was in on a couple goals though.
  • Shinkaruk seemed to be trying really hard, but he wasn't able to convert on any of the chances he got.
  • Dube scored a goal, had a couple nice defensive plays, also a few miscues
  • Foo was by far the standout. He had 2, maybe 3 goals, and a couple of assists to boot. He was fast, tenacious, made smart plays, and finished on his chances. On top of that he was also good defensively, swooping in to intercept the puck and forcing giveaways. From what I saw he was the best player at the practice. If he plays in camp like he did today, he will be on our NHL team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Cool. Yeah I'm high on Foo. He's fast and hard on the puck. We need more of that in our bottom 6.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Did we not sign Phillips? Was his game for Stockton some sort of emergency call-up?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Did we not sign Phillips? Was his game for Stockton some sort of emergency call-up?

Mangiapane also wasn't signed until near the end of his 19YO season. Tre also once admitted to deciding not to sign UFA Tyler Johnson. Mamagement treats small players like eggshells.

Meanwhile they pounce on opportunities to sign Kanzigs, Hunter Smiths, Bolligs, Gazdics, Brouwers etc. :laugh:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I just don't really know what they expect him to do in the WHL at this point. Seems like the logical next step is to find out if he's for real and play him against men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->