Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I just finished watching the Canada-Finland game and I thought I'd post some thoughts on how each of our prospects did.

Valimaki
Made some really nice breakout passes and got better as the game went on.
Quarterbacked the power play well, made a really nice fake then got the puck to Ikonen but Wells stopped him.
Likes to jump into the rush and has the skating to do so.
Currently 2nd in the tournament in shots but hasn't been able to find the back of the net.
Has Gio-esque endurance one shift I saw him lead the breakout while on the PK and then get back to breakup what would've been a breakaway.
Got flattened by Gadjovich early and spent the rest of the game trying to get payback on him. Very reliable with NZ passes and controlling the puck in his own zone.
Fell over partially causing Canada's second goal.
Got burned by Pu and had to take a penalty (Bit of a weak call to stop him from scoring).
Still finished +2.
Hit Phillips in the face with the puck on a dump in

Phillips
Should have had an assist in the 2nd but McLeod wasn't ready for the pass.
Surprisingly effective at cycling the puck.
When he had room he was able to make good passes.
Scored a redirection on the powerplay - just a smart all around play and a good pass from Mahura.
Big blocked shot on the PK.
Scored the game tying goal on a Johnny style wraparound where he faked on way then went the other.
Outmuscled easily (obviously).
Didn't seem like he played a lot but he did get icetime in all situations (Es,PP, PK and 4v4)

Dube
Had some really good chances redirection in the first, Partial breakaway in the 2nd and some good shots on net.
Was at fault on Salos goal was in too deep letting him walk in.
Assist was nice he got past Valimaki (who tripped) and slid it under Salos stick to Raddysh.
He's fast I saw him beat out multiple icings with his speed and hustle.
Hit a rough patch in the 2nd where he kept missing with NZ passes but was back being effective by the end of the game.
His hands aren't great they aren't terrible but he could definitely stand to improve on puckhandling.
His play as it stands right now reminds me a lot of Andrew Cogliano (I'm a fan).
Some people said he got a secondary assist on the final goal but the site doesn't show it, My PVR cut off OT so I didn't see it either.

Tuuola
He's big
I heard his name once.
He had zeros across the board for stats.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Don't disagree with really any of Dack's analysis. One thing I'd say is that I really didn't think Phillips did anything all that special until the third - his first two periods were pretty bad but he made up for them by being clutch.

Valimaki had the most complete game of any of our prospects, pretty wild he didn't get on the scoresheet as he has no shortage of offensive skill.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Don't disagree with really any of Dack's analysis. One thing I'd say is that I really didn't think Phillips did anything all that special until the third - his first two periods were pretty bad but he made up for them by being clutch.

Valimaki had the most complete game of any of our prospects, pretty wild he didn't get on the scoresheet as he has no shortage of offensive skill.
I'd agree with you there but to be fair Canada as a whole was downright bad for pretty much all of the game and just ended up scoring at the right time.

I think Valimaki, Kuokannen and Koivula were all better than any Canadian player. I really wish Canada had a better defense I get it's only their 2nd ice time but two or three of them just threw the puck away consistently.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Cail MacLean has been added as an assistant for the Stockton Heat. He's been the head coach in Adirondack the past 2 seasons and was previously an assistant with the Abbotsford Heat

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Very doubtful. Last year it was Rasmussen.

Last year Tyler Sandhu was the captain, but I'm seeing now that Rasmussen was just named captain for the upcoming year, I'd imagine that's what you were thinking of.

Hope Juuso gets an A though.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Fox just got his second on a beautiful shot. He's having a great game.

I've liked Valimaki even more this game then the last he can't seem to score but he's hit a post and has like 5 shots. He's also been really solid breaking the puck out of the zone. TSN actually credited him with an assist on the Salo goal. He's also doing a great job of stripping the puck away from US players on the boards and moving it up ice.

He's playing a lot as well because Vakinainen was hurt in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Fox just got his second on a beautiful shot. He's having a great game.

I've liked Valimaki even more this game then the last he can't seem to score but he's hit a post and has like 5 shots. He's also been really solid breaking the puck out of the zone. TSN actually credited him with an assist on the Salo goal. He's also doing a great job of stripping the puck away from US players on the boards and moving it up ice.

He's playing a lot as well because Vakinainen was hurt in the 2nd.

Valimaki is an absolute stud. Watching him in these games confirmed to me what I already knew, he's our top prospect (outside of the voodoo Parsons). He's going to be a great puck moving defencemen.

Really like Fox too. Gotta think we are going to have one of the best bluelines for a long time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Valimaki is an absolute stud. Watching him in these games confirmed to me what I already knew, he's our top prospect (outside of the voodoo Parsons). He's going to be a great puck moving defencemen.

Really like Fox too. Gotta think we are going to have one of the best bluelines for a long time.

Absolutely love the pipeline.
Long gone are the days where Max Reinhart was our best prospect :laugh:

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
It seems the Flames over the years have been blessed with some of the best dmen... Too bad we can't reciprocate that magic into goaltending or right wing right now lol.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
More or less.

What's the over/under on him, if he goes insane again this year, to get a contract to come to the AHL?

They're definitely going to talk to him about it, maybe give him the same guarantee of an NHL game to close out the year like they did with Gaudreau.

I think he stays in college at least three years, though. MM has mentioned before but Harvard is a whole different animal from most other NCAA schools we've had players at - if he leaves he likely can't finish his degree, so he'll want to make damn sure he can carve out a living as an NHL player before tossing it out the window.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I was at the US/Canada game tonight and Fox was the highlight player, with a bullet. He owned every inch of ice he was on, especially behind his own goal line. If he pans out you guys have, at worst, a fan favorite #4-6 backliner.

I'm obviously a Wisconsin Badger fan, Wings for the NHL, but I'll be paying attention to Fox's career trajectory after seeing him in action tonight.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Honestly he was probably the steal of the 2016 draft. Well atleast at this point it's looking like he is. He's I think proving himself as a top 20 talent from the 2016 draft imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad