Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
You can't just look at offensive production from an AHL defenseman and say "oh he should be in the NHL". If that were the case TJ Brennan would be an NHL defenseman and Zach Redmond would still be in the NHL. Yes, Andersson looks very good for Stockton, but that does not mean he is absolutely ready.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You can't just look at offensive production from an AHL defenseman and say "oh he should be in the NHL". If that were the case TJ Brennan would be an NHL defenseman and Zach Redmond would still be in the NHL. Yes, Andersson looks very good for Stockton, but that does not mean he is absolutely ready.

Andersson is an offensive dman for sure, but that also doesn’t mean he has issues in his defensive play. I had no issues with him when he was up the last time in his overall play. And by all accounts his game has taken another big step since going back down. I feel really confident in saying he could be playing on the bottom pairing and would probably be a step up on Kulak.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
We should be moving Stone for picks if we can. But I'd be less surprised if BT decided to move Brodie...only to watch him flourish playing on his off side again.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Andersson is an offensive dman for sure, but that also doesn’t mean he has issues in his defensive play. I had no issues with him when he was up the last time in his overall play. And by all accounts his game has taken another big step since going back down. I feel really confident in saying he could be playing on the bottom pairing and would probably be a step up on Kulak.
Where did I say he has issues with his defensive play? Wotherspoon looked good in his first couple stints in the NHL too, lots of players do; it doesn't meant they are NHL ready. Which is my whole point, you never know until they earn a full-time job, so someone declaring unequivocally that he should be in the NHL is simply not in touch with the reality of the situation.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Where did I say he has issues with his defensive play? Wotherspoon looked good in his first couple stints in the NHL too, lots of players do; it doesn't meant they are NHL ready. Which is my whole point, you never know until they earn a full-time job, so someone declaring unequivocally that he should be in the NHL is simply not in touch with the reality of the situation.

I think he was trying to infer that he has nothing else to prove in the AHL and that he should be given a shot at a full time role in the NHL. I think it’s tough to disagree with that. Another year in the AHL would be a waste of time for him. Calgary needs to make room for him or move him out while his value is high

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Well you stated that he shouldn’t just be judged by his offensive production, so I assumed you were talking about his defensive play.

I’m kinda surprised you’re pushing back against this as much as you are. Andersson is the text book definition of a ripened prospect. He had a cup of coffee up here and looked very good. And since going back down, he’s been absolutely dominant and brought his play to another level. He’s been playing great hockey at both ends, he’s a good skater and passer, named an all star and was the MVP of the game, he’s addressed his fitness. The Flames management and coach Huska always speak to how good he is and talk about him that he’s basically ready. He’s approaching the point that his development will plateau if he’s not brought up soon.

Anyways I agree with your point that you don’t really know until you know. But I also think it’s 95% safe to hypothesize that Andersson can play and play well in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Cyrano

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The only thing really holding Andersson back from the NHL this season in my opinion is his skating, which he has improved tremendously over the course of the season. I think he'll be for sure ready next year. I think this season if he had been an NHL regular hedhbe struggling right now. But the coaching staff knows exactly what he needed to work on and has focused on it all year. He can't get that kind of attention in the nhl in the midst of a playoff push

He will be better for having spent this season in Stockton

Reactions: Dack

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Andersson was likely ready last year, the problem was that we added 8m at RD in the offseason, so he wasn't getting a look. This coming season there's no reason to doubt that he can hold down a bottom pair spot. Kulak-Andersson makes me a little nervous but I'd still take it over Kulak-Stone.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Well you stated that he shouldn’t just be judged by his offensive production, so I assumed you were talking about his defensive play.

I’m kinda surprised you’re pushing back against this as much as you are. Andersson is the text book definition of a ripened prospect. He had a cup of coffee up here and looked very good. And since going back down, he’s been absolutely dominant and brought his play to another level. He’s been playing great hockey at both ends, he’s a good skater and passer, named an all star and was the MVP of the game, he’s addressed his fitness. The Flames management and coach Huska always speak to how good he is and talk about him that he’s basically ready. He’s approaching the point that his development will plateau if he’s not brought up soon.

Anyways I agree with your point that you don’t really know until you know. But I also think it’s 95% safe to hypothesize that Andersson can play and play well in the NHL right now.
Except I wasn't pushing back. I think he most likely is ready. I just think only a complete idiot would state that someone is guaranteed to be ready based on offensive numbers, or to state as if it is a fact that he is indeed ready. Even if the odds are 95% in his favor, that's still not a guarantee.

Also, a defenseman spending 2 years in the AHL is hardly the definition of a ripened prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Except I wasn't pushing back. I think he most likely is ready. I just think only a complete idiot would state that someone is guaranteed to be ready based on offensive numbers, or to state as if it is a fact that he is indeed ready. Even if the odds are 95% in his favor, that's still not a guarantee.

Also, a defenseman spending 2 years in the AHL is hardly the definition of a ripened prospect.

The tone of your post and this one does suggest that you’re pushing back against it though. Saying people saying such are idiots lol. Of course there’s a chance he could be called up and he would struggle and show he’s not ready. But going with the information we have, I feel confident in saying he’s ready for the show now and would flourish. Andersson has had a fantastic developmental season, he deserves all the praise he’s getting and I think he’s earned the title of our top prospect (even over happy feet). I’d feel totally confident to see him play on our bottom pairing.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The tone of your post and this one does suggest that you’re pushing back against it though. Saying people saying such are idiots lol. Of course there’s a chance he could be called up and he would struggle and show he’s not ready. But going with the information we have, I feel confident in saying he’s ready for the show now and would flourish. Andersson has had a fantastic developmental season, he deserves all the praise he’s getting and I think he’s earned the title of our top prospect (even over happy feet). I’d feel totally confident to see him play on our bottom pairing.
I pushed back against 1 stupid post, had he said I think he's ready and he's producing well... I wouldn't have said a word. My issue is with people inflating him like he's a f***ing hot air balloon

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Do we still have the rights to David Wolf?

Pardon the pun, but he went full on beast mode this morning. Can definitely understand what the scouts saw in him.
I don't think we do. I think we held them for 2 years, unless the German leagues don't have a transfer agreement, then we would retain his rights forever.

It's a shame Brule murdered him today

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Dont know if Andersson have issue with defense or not but he better be good at it. His offense is not going to be utilized by Gulutzan any time soon.

For god sake, he didnt even want to use Dougie's offense until recently and Dougie is a proven offensive dynamite.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Valimaki has a hat trick tonight. All Even strength goals.

He was due to explode I think he's getting a tonne of Shots on net.

Also Phillips needs a point vs Portland to extend his Point streak to 22 (could be 23 unsure) games.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Valimaki has a hat trick tonight. All Even strength goals.

He was due to explode I think he's getting a tonne of Shots on net.

Also Phillips needs a point vs Portland to extend his Point streak to 22 (could be 23 unsure) games.

DO you happen to have a vid of Valimaki's hat trick my good friend? BTW since you follow the Tri-City Americans often, how does Valimaki look compared to last season. Purely by points he has less per game and also had some injury history.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
DO you happen to have a vid of Valimaki's hat trick my good friend?
The game is still on I'll check tomorrow to see if their is any highlights but I'm not sure there will be some WHL teams (Victoria is really good) are a lot more diligent putting up highlights than others

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
To those of you who have watched Stockton a lot this year, how has Shinkaruk been? He's a great kid and looked promising with the Comets a couple years ago.

Also, I haven't had the chance to see Andersson play a game in person, but got to see him in the All Star game this year. His skating didn't look bad at all, certainly not worth worrying about.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
To those of you who have watched Stockton a lot this year, how has Shinkaruk been? He's a great kid and looked promising with the Comets a couple years ago.

Also, I haven't had the chance to see Andersson play a game in person, but got to see him in the All Star game this year. His skating didn't look bad at all, certainly not worth worrying about.

I haven't kept up on the Heat as well as I should have this season but I think the consensus is that Shink is a bust and won't be re-signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->