2017-18 stats and underlying metrics thread [Mod: updated season]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Please support Corey if your interested in his stuff:
http://www.gofundme.com/allthreezones

He's my zone entry/exit source (why I was able to stop doing it myself manually).
For example, I used his data here in an article I wrote on new Jet Perreault:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...erreaults-strong-possession-numbers-come-from

This is terrific stuff.

A couple of thoughts in relation to the Jets...

1) Maurice has stated on a few occasions that he wants the Jets to carry the puck more and dump it less - basically be more creative. Noel struck me as a coach that favoured a style and players that dumped the puck more and tried to retrieve it (hello James Wright, good-bye Burmi).

2) The Jets seem to be drafting and signing some players that are more skilled at carrying the puck and zone entry: Petan, Ehlers, Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, (Perreault over Jokinen).

3) I wonder whether these concepts are going to translate to their defensive game. They seem to be going to a fairly mobile defense, which should help with gap control and force more plays in the neutral zone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ya, I wasn't a fan of Noel's zone entry work:
Ba061KcCYAAnJjg.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ya, I wasn't a fan of Noel's zone entry work:
Ba061KcCYAAnJjg.jpg

I feel nauseated just looking at that image. The only thing worse would be to see Wright charging in on the forecheck, (with Burmi in the pressbox).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few interesting tweets from Pronman tonight.

"The most interesting thing I found was how many teams "2D" seemed to be overused. Often vs high QoC, because real 2D shoots other way" (not sure what the last part means?)

"I've always felt like a Dman vs good QoC who keeps the chances 50/50 is more valuable than a low QoC D who has a 53% Corsi"

"One more observation: Seemed teams don't --on average--tend to have 4 top D. Most tend to have 3 who are high quality , and a 4th tweener."

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
A few interesting tweets from Pronman tonight.

"The most interesting thing I found was how many teams "2D" seemed to be overused. Often vs high QoC, because real 2D shoots other way" (not sure what the last part means?)

"I've always felt like a Dman vs good QoC who keeps the chances 50/50 is more valuable than a low QoC D who has a 53% Corsi"

"One more observation: Seemed teams don't --on average--tend to have 4 top D. Most tend to have 3 who are high quality , and a 4th tweener."
I think he is saying that teams often give a lesser player big ice because they want a LD, RD pairing. Meanwhile the player that should be #2 on the depth chart is stuck on a second pair.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Heh... just noticed a guy from Dark Horse Analytics follows me on twitter.
Also just noticed a few WHL and OHL management types follow me.
And a NHL player agent.
Things that make you wonder who has seen the stuff I've written or who has come on to HFBoards to read our discussions here.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Heh... just noticed a guy from Dark Horse Analytics follows me on twitter.
Also just noticed a few WHL and OHL management types follow me.
And a NHL player agent.
Things that make you wonder who has seen the stuff I've written or who has come on to HFBoards to read our discussions here.

Always nice to be stalked by the right people ;)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think he is saying that teams often give a lesser player big ice because they want a LD, RD pairing. Meanwhile the player that should be #2 on the depth chart is stuck on a second pair.

Thanks and Of coarse! :laugh: That is funny I would miss something so obvious.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Very good story. I had come across a reference to that radio confrontation once before but this told the story very well and put it into context.

Does this paragraph ring any bells?
Once the advanced stat proponents developed a strong social media presence, with tens of thousands of Twitter followers, their influence spiked. The sudden prevalence of analytics bloggers-turned NHL team employees reflects that. Simmons insists many GMs in the league are forced to feign interest in possession numbers now to avoid being publicly flogged by the bloggers, and that “guys I know personally who really don’t care much for the stats will say when you ask them on the record, ‘Oh yeah, we do a lot of work in that area.’ â€

There were several other paragraphs that I was inclined to quote but I don't want to copy/paste the whole article. I'll just recommend you read it.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Very good story. I had come across a reference to that radio confrontation once before but this told the story very well and put it into context.

Once the advanced stat proponents developed a strong social media presence, with tens of thousands of Twitter followers, their influence spiked. The sudden prevalence of analytics bloggers-turned NHL team employees reflects that. Simmons insists many GMs in the league are forced to feign interest in possession numbers now to avoid being publicly flogged by the bloggers, and that “guys I know personally who really don’t care much for the stats will say when you ask them on the record, ‘Oh yeah, we do a lot of work in that area.’ â€

There were several other paragraphs that I was inclined to quote but I don't want to copy/paste the whole article. I'll just recommend you read it.

When I read the bold, why do I think "Kevin Chevyldayoff"?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Simmons is a ****ing moron. Total blowhard who thinks he's part of the NHL in-group.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't know much inside, although I know a few things...

However, I found it interesting that all the knocks against stats Chevy used on the Ed Tait piece were things the analytical community is well aware of and even have ways to compensate for.

It was bizarre for Chevy to say what he said. There was no good reason to say what he said. Anyone who is the slightest bit competent knows what he said made no sense.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It was bizarre for Chevy to say what he said. There was no good reason to say what he said. Anyone who is the slightest bit competent knows what he said made no sense.

Odd indeed. However, I can give him two defences:
1) His understanding of the numbers matters less than does someone in the organization understand the numbers and how does he take those thoughts by his advisors into consideration
2) It could all be BS. Tough to truly know what goes behind the curtains, even if I have been given some hints that are not overly confidence inspiring... although a hint is nothing more than that.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Okay, not having extra skater really sucks. I need to know if there is another site that shows a team's player usage charts like they do.

Im trying to get into btn but im not sure which category to use for QoC or QoT purposes either.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Okay, not having extra skater really sucks. I need to know if there is another site that shows a team's player usage charts like they do.

Im trying to get into btn but im not sure which category to use for QoC or QoT purposes either.
Only rob Vollman's site (hockey abstract) has player usage charts, and they are not as user friendly.

It should also be noted that a lot of the hockey websites measure QoC and QoT differently.
Extra skater used weighted avg of their line mates or opponents TOI (in terms of what % of their teams total available TOI)
BTN uses avg Corsi of opponents or line mates
HA uses avg Corsi of opponents or line mates when the player in question was not on the ice

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Hali get most of his TOI last year on the 3rd line? Would QoT not contribute to the difference?

The linemates they had definitely played a role. Halischuk's linemates avg'd a higher goals and Fenwick for per minute without him on the ice than Tangradi's linemates without Tangradi on the ice... However, these guys are and historically have been at the very extremes of what you expect for a 4th line player. What's interesting is they are at opposite extremes of both each other and themselves in the other stat.

Also, this is not about building a WAR (yet), but rather just looking at what happened when the player was on the ice and translate that value in terms of goal differentials. So no context is being accounted for, yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad