2017-18 stats and underlying metrics thread [Mod: updated season]

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Sportsnet is reporting Daryl Metcalf will be one of three analytics people to be hired by the Leafs. I guess that's the end of Extraskater.

Edit: here's a story with all three named.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-creating-analytics-department-181332725.html

Aside from the loss of Metcalf's site potentially, with the Leafs hiring analytical types, do you think they're going to go in, review the past couple of seasons and go "eewwwwww"? One would think they might.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Aside from the loss of Metcalf's site potentially, with the Leafs hiring analytical types, do you think they're going to go in, review the past couple of seasons and go "eewwwwww"? One would think they might.

One of the guys they hired (not Metcalf) was very critical of the Leafs. They also silenced one of their critics.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Nah... they just need to keep on ramping up their save percentage and shooting percentage and they'll be fine... :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know Jets have a guy and I know that the Jets have not made any recent changes.

IIRC I've seen posts where you speculated a bit about which approach to analytics the Jets might be using. I've also seen posts where (I'm pretty sure it was you) the existence of 'bad' statistical analysts was mentioned. Perhaps that some of them might give analytics a bad name. Do you know who is the Jets guy? What do you think about the possibility that the team might have access to better data than what is available to the amateurs and enthusiasts?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IIRC I've seen posts where you speculated a bit about which approach to analytics the Jets might be using. I've also seen posts where (I'm pretty sure it was you) the existence of 'bad' statistical analysts was mentioned. Perhaps that some of them might give analytics a bad name. Do you know who is the Jets guy? What do you think about the possibility that the team might have access to better data than what is available to the amateurs and enthusiasts?

I believe that all teams have the potential grab better data than amateurs, but I believe few actually end up with better analysis. If I had to guess before this summer, maybe 5. Probably higher now with some of the best minds in blogging world being taken... This raising the NHL's talent and lower the bar.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
the jets have an analytics guy who understands and uses fancy stats?

I've never talked to the guy but I know someone who did. He never asked directly those types of questions but from what my friend told me it seemed like the guy knew the existence of Corsi numbers but wasn't really in depth knowledgable on what's going on with the analytical blogging world and some of the stuff being done with the data.

This is sort of the feeling I got from Cheveldayoff's interview from Tait on analytics.

There's pros and cons to all types of data currently available to both the pros and amateurs. The big convenience with Corsi data is two fold:
1) League wide data. This is huge. Without it you can't really do much in terms of contextual studies. We know Stuart and Thorburn have poor Corsi numbers, but without league context it would be near impossible to accurately determine whether their numbers are okay relative to depth in position and usage. We wouldn't know that Stuart's numbers are about average for bottom 1/6th of defenders (ie: he is an okay number six in that regards) and that Thorburn's numbers are terrible even for a 4th line player.
2) Open source studies. One thing we'll start to notice as more bloggers get picked up or go dark is the slow down of discoveries. The online community creates a large think tank where new ideas were constantly tested and re-evaluated. Of course for teams the opportunity cost is huge as other teams also benefit from this type of arrangement.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
2) Open source studies. One thing we'll start to notice as more bloggers get picked up or go dark is the slow down of discoveries. The online community creates a large think tank where new ideas were constantly tested and re-evaluated. Of course for teams the opportunity cost is huge as other teams also benefit from this type of arrangement.

I wonder how much things changed in this area once Marice came onboard. Puck Daddy in his sportsnet interview said that many teams began using extraskater data during the season for the same reasons we did. It's ease of use.

Maurice mentioned numbers as a reason he put Frolik with LL in his first game as coach. What numbers did he have access to as a TSN analyst? Probably extraskater was involved somehow. It's possible, even likely that whatever he was using was introduced to the organization. Now that the Leafs have exclusive use of extraskater, other teams won't have access to that info.

The thing that doesn't get talked about much is what will the teams like the Leafs and the Oilers do with their analytics approach? Can they have an immediate impact on their teams record? Over time it can likely help them with their player acquisition decisions but can it help them at the draft table?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I wonder how much things changed in this area once Marice came onboard. Puck Daddy in his sportsnet interview said that many teams began using extraskater data during the season for the same reasons we did. It's ease of use.

Maurice mentioned numbers as a reason he put Frolik with LL in his first game as coach. What numbers did he have access to as a TSN analyst? Probably extraskater was involved somehow. It's possible, even likely that whatever he was using was introduced to the organization. Now that the Leafs have exclusive use of extraskater, other teams won't have access to that info.

The thing that doesn't get talked about much is what will the teams like the Leafs and the Oilers do with their analytics approach? Can they have an immediate impact on their teams record? Over time it can likely help them with their player acquisition decisions but can it help them at the draft table?

if some team could find a way to track rts in other leagues and use them to create some kind of algorithm that can project a players potential likelihood of success, well that would be the holy grail imo

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've never talked to the guy but I know someone who did. He never asked directly those types of questions but from what my friend told me it seemed like the guy knew the existence of Corsi numbers but wasn't really in depth knowledgable on what's going on with the analytical blogging world and some of the stuff being done with the data.

This is sort of the feeling I got from Cheveldayoff's interview from Tait on analytics.

There's pros and cons to all types of data currently available to both the pros and amateurs. The big convenience with Corsi data is two fold:
1) League wide data. This is huge. Without it you can't really do much in terms of contextual studies. We know Stuart and Thorburn have poor Corsi numbers, but without league context it would be near impossible to accurately determine whether their numbers are okay relative to depth in position and usage. We wouldn't know that Stuart's numbers are about average for bottom 1/6th of defenders (ie: he is an okay number six in that regards) and that Thorburn's numbers are terrible even for a 4th line player.

Reading much into what Chevy says is difficult, but I really got the feeling when I listened to that interview that they really don't pay too much more than lip service to the various advanced stats that are being collected. If I can recall he sort of alluded to the fact that they have their own advanced stats that they use which didn't give me much confidence that they really put a lot of faith in the kinds of advanced stats used by many teams.

Hope I'm wrong, but I get a feeling that the Jets are way behind the curve when it comes to understanding analytics. How else do we rectify them playing a goalie with a .901 save % down the stretch until they were out of the playoff picture when they had a hot goaltender or two in the wings. How else do we explain using Thorbs forever in a top 6 role when there was much better options out there.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Interesting article about Corey Sznajder

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459985

This is precisely why I'm interested to see the individual defence data. The player that closes the defensive gap in the neutral zone better than others can drive possession numbers, yet might not get a whole lot of acclaim for that skill. Conversely, there may be players getting recognition (and big contracts) yet have trouble defending at their blueline.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Please support Corey if your interested in his stuff:
http://www.gofundme.com/allthreezones

He's my zone entry/exit source (why I was able to stop doing it myself manually).

The fact that the same eyes are evaluating all the games gives the data more credibility. There is a consistency that you can't achieve with multiple evaluators. That's an amazing amount of time spent watching hockey, but unsustainable year after year. He can't keep that up all by himself forever can he?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
@DarrenDreger: Checked in with all 30 teams. 28 responded, acknowledging analytics use ranging from 1-10 yrs. Only 1 of the 28 admitted minimal use.

Calgary? :sarcasm:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The fact that the same eyes are evaluating all the games gives the data more credibility. There is a consistency that you can't achieve with multiple evaluators. That's an amazing amount of time spent watching hockey, but unsustainable year after year. He can't keep that up all by himself forever can he?

Means better chance of high precision but worse chance of accuracy:
accuracyprecision.gif

In cases like this though, precision is more desired, as how a player/team does relative to their peers is more important than how exact the number is.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
I like to keep you guys in the know ahead of time, but I've gotten some sweet data...

Jets players' Corsi first 10 seconds after particular situations (ex: DZ FO loss)

How does this relate to the work done by David Johnson whose work purposefully ignores the first 10 seconds of a zone start for zone adjusted numbers? Specifically, what advantages are you seeing, and what might he be missing, in those 10 seconds? Is your data only zone starts, or are the "situations" more diverse?

In any event, that's pretty cool and I look forward to your analyses.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How does this relate to the work done by David Johnson whose work purposefully ignores the first 10 seconds of a zone start for zone adjusted numbers? Specifically, what advantages are you seeing, and what might he be missing, in those 10 seconds? Is your data only zone starts, or are the "situations" more diverse?

In any event, that's pretty cool and I look forward to your analyses.

While I'm not sure that removes the influence of zone starts, it seems (looking at Dellow's work) to at least remove the influence of the faceoff being a win or a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad