Recalled/Assigned: 2017-18 Sharks Roster moves thread: Heed recalled to keep Ryan company in the press box also Bibeau

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
It doesn’t solve an issue with the current roster, but it maximizes assets. I thought that was clear. Schlemko + assets from a Braun trade > Braun. The roster would not be notably worse with Schlemko over Braun.
I see what you're getting at now.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It doesn’t solve an issue with the current roster, but it maximizes assets. I thought that was clear. Schlemko + assets from a Braun trade > Braun. The roster would not be notably worse with Schlemko over Braun.

Umm, are you feeling OK? You're usually level-headed but you are going have to sell me on that one.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why would anyone be complaining about Braun? He's playing 25+ minutes a night of mostly good (if not his usual mostly great) defense, while also being 7th on the team in points. He's tied with Donskoi for points lead after the Big 5. And yes, it's not a great stat, but Braun also leads the team in +/- right now (tied with Vlasic of course). If anything, Braun has made himself more valuable to the team IMO.

Have you been reading our GDTs this season? It feels like every other game I have to defend Braun from someone calling him a liability or saying that he’s dragging down Vlasic.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Have you been reading our GDTs this season? It feels like every other game I have to defend Braun from someone calling him a liability or saying that he’s dragging down Vlasic.

Honestly I have not noticed this at all. I feel like a lot of people have been generally praising Braun. I think his name was even brought up as the Sharks best defenseman this season when that discussion happened.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I thought Schlemko was a good defenseman; a solid #4-5...but, the league doesn't agree with me. He was traded for a pittance and is no longer an NHL regular. Who knows what vitiated his value, but it is likely that the Sharks wouldn't have gotten much for him.

That too, from an operational standpoint, I understand *why* the Sharks exposed Schlemko; they had a lot of defensive depth. They probably wanted him to get claimed; turned a problem (the expansion draft) into a solution (too much defensive depth). It is all well and good to say you should maximize your assets by maximizing value and then slotting in the exact pieces later, but that requires more steps and hence is more complicated. If the Sharks are unable to move Schlemko, Heed/DeMelo/Ryan have no spot on the team and the Sharks are saddled with an extra $2 million in salary.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I thought Schlemko was a good defenseman; a solid #4-5...but, the league doesn't agree with me. He was traded for a pittance and is no longer an NHL regular. Who knows what vitiated his value, but it is likely that the Sharks wouldn't have gotten much for him.

That too, from an operational standpoint, I understand *why* the Sharks exposed Schlemko; they had a lot of defensive depth. They probably wanted him to get claimed; turned a problem (the expansion draft) into a solution (too much defensive depth). It is all well and good to say you should maximize your assets by maximizing value and then slotting in the exact pieces later, but that requires more steps and hence is more complicated. If the Sharks are unable to move Schlemko, Heed/DeMelo/Ryan have no spot on the team and the Sharks are saddled with an extra $2 million in salary.

He just came back from a pre-season injury hence the 6GP...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He just came back from a pre-season injury hence the 6GP...

There are literally plenty of articles out there that talk about how good Schlemko has been for the Canadiens.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Coming back from injury suffered in preseason, as mentioned above.

IMHO, and IIRC many pundits, Boedker and Schlemko were signed to be exposed for expansion draft.

(Sharks' other maneuvering for expansion draft was to trade Mueller to NJD. I am just amazed at the # of first round picks VGK got through expansion draft. But not from the Sharks.)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Schlemko was effective in his role but that's the only thing you can say definitively. The main concern against him right now is that Heed and Demelo has been playing in the same role as Schlemko has and is doing just as well and have, for the most part, been just as effective and arguably more so. Heed's definitely good but it brings up the question of how much Deboer's defensive deployment affects their performance.

That concern regarding DeMelo and Heed is overstated because Schlemko could have switched sides to make room for either Heed or DeMelo but Dillon can't do such a thing and I would've kept Schlemko over Dillon just because of his flexibility and puck-moving capability that he has in spades over Dillon. All Dillon has is his physicality but it never really amounts to anything meaningful.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's almost like Dillon was the key to that third pairing. If he's playing well he can play top 4.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What was the point of waiving carpenter? Has anyone seized the 4th line center role so unequivocally that he became expendable? Goodrow isn’t healthy, and has been hurt twice this year. O’Regan doesn’t really work on the 4th line. Has Sorensen outperformed carpenter this year? Was this done to keep 8 defenseman on the roster? I don’t see the reason to waive Carpenter unless there was an obvious need for his roster spot.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Perhaps they just don't see him in the long-term plans and see O'Regan/Sorensen/Goodrow as better 4th line options in the future. Plus Carpenter was going to get paid full NHL salary next season regardless of where he played. Obviously SJ didn't think that was going to be with the Sharks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, that's not really true at all.
I think you're underrating Dillon here. He might not be a gifted puck mover or anything but he's improved a lot overall.

Perhaps they just don't see him in the long-term plans and see O'Regan/Sorensen/Goodrow as better 4th line options in the future. Plus Carpenter was going to get paid full NHL salary next season regardless of where he played. Obviously SJ didn't think that was going to be with the Sharks.
I can see them just souring on him. After the performance he had last year and the good audition he had in the NHL then, they pencilled him into the 4C role expecting him to be the anchor there but he really didn't do anything with that confidence. I'm not too into how Sorensen and O'Regan have played but I wouldn't say Carpenter's been a step up either. Goodrow's been the only Barracuda plug in that has done anything worthwhile there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
When you have a solid 4C who is responsible defensively and has some offensive talent, you don’t waive him so you can play one of your top scoring prospects at 4C. Silly. Not a huge deal but it’s silly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When you have a solid 4C who is responsible defensively and has some offensive talent, you don’t waive him so you can play one of your top scoring prospects at 4C. Silly. Not a huge deal but it’s silly.

Yeah, waiving Carpenter only makes sense if the player requested it and DW is obliging him like he did with Nieto. He wasn't playing so poorly that anyone on the Barracuda was going to squeeze him off the roster especially with all the injuries right now. Like right now with Goodrow going back on IR, they have an extra roster spot and nobody that is left to be called up is better than Carpenter right now if none of the IR guys are ready to be activated. But even then, send Sorensen or O'Regan back down as neither are playing so much better that you need to risk losing someone to waivers.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Nothing really wrong with carpenter, just a numbers game as we have
an excess amount of 3/4 liners that are NHL ready. DW did him a favor,
now he'll get an NHL shot!

But if he didn't request a trade (especially with a house and infant in SJ), I'm curious about the timing. Goodrow is on IR and O'regan isn't exactly a 4c. Why not wait until at least Goodrow is healthy. Carpenter is still an acceptable 4c in the meanwhile.
Maybe O'regan is going to be packaged in something. That or they didn't expect Carpenter to get claimed.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
That or they didn't expect Carpenter to get claimed.

with only 1 assist in 16 games I didn't think he would either. He was pretty good on the Cuda so Vegas probably felt he was a worthwhile project.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I agree that Dillon has improved overall but he's not the key to any of his pairings in the past.

Him playing poorly sinks any of his pairings so if any of his pairings were good, they do in fact rely on him playing well. That is both kind of a joke but also nuanced enough to be true. The key is for him to be able to play a "quiet" game and his partner has something to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->