Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion III - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't both Nashville and Winnipeg suffer injuries to important people recently? Thought I read that...

As far as offseason, am I the only one who is still holding out hope for a trade to land EK and Bobby Ryan while also signing Kane, Tavares & Jumbo (cheap)? :D

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Didn't both Nashville and Winnipeg suffer injuries to important people recently? Thought I read that...

As far as offseason, am I the only one who is still holding out hope for a trade to land EK and Bobby Ryan while also signing Kane, Tavares & Jumbo (cheap)? :D
Trouba's hurt again but I doubt either team has big injuries that will hamper them too badly throughout the playoffs. Best bet is to hope that the Sharks stay healthy and everybody else does not and the way things have gone, doesn't really look like the Sharks are going to be one of the healthy ones.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Against one of the big 7? Absolutely not. Against one of the SoCal teams, and either Vegas, or the WC1 that beats Vegas? Absolutely.

Maybe not counted on, but do you really think that Vegas and the SoCal teams do?

I don't think there's much evidence to support that yet. I still feel as if it's an unknown. Without Thornton before Kane, this team didn't really fare too well against good teams. Without Thornton with Kane, they've played two Eastern playoff teams and that's it so there really isn't much to go on I feel. The games with Vegas will probably be the best indicator we'll get on this issue.

Sharks96

Nov 26, 2017
Hey folks don’t know if this is the correct thread for this post, but just wondering for next year what do you think the sharks will offer RFA’s Hertl, Tierney and DeMelo. Looking like Kane enjoys playing here hope we keep him, what do you think his cap hit would be like? What does Jumbo come back next season with and do we keep Fehr? Probably let Ward and Hansen walk and do we buyout Martin? Will be an interesting and important off season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hey folks don’t know if this is the correct thread for this post, but just wondering for next year what do you think the sharks will offer RFA’s Hertl, Tierney and DeMelo. Looking like Kane enjoys playing here hope we keep him, what do you think his cap hit would be like? What does Jumbo come back next season with and do we keep Fehr? Probably let Ward and Hansen walk and do we buyout Martin? Will be an interesting and important off season.

Plenty of speculation. General consensus on Tierney/Hertl/DeMelo/Kane:

Tierney - 2.5-3.5M
Hertl - 4.5-5.5M
DeMelo - .8-1.2M
Kane - 5.5-6.5M (Sabres fans say radio reported he asked for 7 from them)

Thornton - Should be worth about 5M, plenty of speculation though that he was paid 8M this year under the condition that he would take a discount around 2-4M this year, bringing him to a more realistic, fair value of 5-6M over 2 years at the time that he was signed. Would make sense, Sharks had so much cap this off season, no need for any of it, we might try to spend it all next year

Fehr - IDK, I don't think they planned on bringing him back but he seems like a good fit and has actually played very well so far.

Ward - Very likely he walks, organization asked him for list of teams not to be traded to, has been healthy scratched a bit, hasn't done so well lately. Doesn't fit the speed game we want to play, will probably get a $1.5-$2M offer from another GM and DW might not even want to give him 1.

Hansen - Almost certain that he walks given the comments that he has made about himself not being a good fit on this team and being disappointed in his performance here and his role/usage.

Martin - Like Hansen, had a good game tonight but very unlikely to be in the long term plans. We might be able to find a suitor in trade if we retain 50% or if we add assets, but most likely scenario is a buyout.

Ward/Hansen/Martin is definitely a group on which this board has a general consensus, along with Kane and the aforementioned RFAs, but Thornton/Fehr have this board pretty torn. I don't mean to speak for everybody but this is the general consensus on this board.

Sharks96

Nov 26, 2017
Plenty of speculation. General consensus on Tierney/Hertl/DeMelo/Kane:

Tierney - 2.5-3.5M
Hertl - 4.5-5.5M
DeMelo - .8-1.2M
Kane - 5.5-6.5M (Sabres fans say radio reported he asked for 7 from them)

Thornton - Should be worth about 5M, plenty of speculation though that he was paid 8M this year under the condition that he would take a discount around 2-4M this year, bringing him to a more realistic, fair value of 5-6M over 2 years at the time that he was signed. Would make sense, Sharks had so much cap this off season, no need for any of it, we might try to spend it all next year

Fehr - IDK, I don't think they planned on bringing him back but he seems like a good fit and has actually played very well so far.

Ward - Very likely he walks, organization asked him for list of teams not to be traded to, has been healthy scratched a bit, hasn't done so well lately. Doesn't fit the speed game we want to play, will probably get a $1.5-$2M offer from another GM and DW might not even want to give him 1.

Hansen - Almost certain that he walks given the comments that he has made about himself not being a good fit on this team and being disappointed in his performance here and his role/usage.

Martin - Like Hansen, had a good game tonight but very unlikely to be in the long term plans. We might be able to find a suitor in trade if we retain 50% or if we add assets, but most likely scenario is a buyout.

Ward/Hansen/Martin is definitely a group on which this board has a general consensus, along with Kane and the aforementioned RFAs, but Thornton/Fehr have this board pretty torn. I don't mean to speak for everybody but this is the general consensus on this board.

Fair enough I appreciate your input thank you.
I’m with you on pretty much all that obviously the term influences the AAV. I feel Hertl should get the longest term deal out of all those RFA’s.
I wonder how they deal with Tierney though in regards to long term or a bridge type deal similar to maybe a Hertl.
DeMelo I feel should probably earn 1.25-1.75 AAV. 18 points now in 53 games, Pelech on Islanders just signed 4 years 1.6, mayfield 5 years 1.5 I would say those are good targets to compare and based on his body of work if you look at comparison deals in that 1.5 AAV is probably where he should be maybe 2, 3 year deal.
I really hope Jumbo can rebound and have a great year next year. Good sign he’s skating again. A line with him, Kane and Pavelski would be very potent I think.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Damn Burn's shooting percentage this year is so bad, 3.4%. If he was scoring at the same percentage as last year, 9.1, he would have 26 goals on his 290 shots. If he was scoring at his career average, 7.1, he would have 20.

Same goes for Pavelski, but not quite as bad. His current shooting percentage is 9.7%, by far the lowest since 2010-2011. If he was shooting at his career average of 11.9 he would have 23. His average from 2013-2014 through 2016-2017 was 15.37% (145 goals in 943 shots), if he continued that this year he would have 30 goals right now.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Afraid to say it, but I think I want to keep Boedker for next season. He's been really good since January. He's now at 11 goals and 23 points in his last 30 games. Imagine how sneaky good we can be going into the playoffs if Jumbo comes back, Boedker keeps this up and Kane/Fehr continue to be good deadline additions. Need to get Ryan healthy though. Even Hansen has looked good his last couple games.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Afraid to say it, but I think I want to keep Boedker for next season. He's been really good since January. He's now at 11 goals and 23 points in his last 30 games. Imagine how sneaky good we can be going into the playoffs if Jumbo comes back, Boedker keeps this up and Kane/Fehr continue to be good deadline additions. Need to get Ryan healthy though. Even Hansen has looked good his last couple games.

Good news is he will actually have trade value and if it comes down to singing Kane + Jumbo + JT, we can move Boedker in a trade. If its just Kane + cheap Jumbo then we keep Boedker and hes got value. Took him long enough haha but whatever ill take it.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
"I'm not going to be satisfied just making the playoffs, I want to win in the playoffs," he said. "I'm not the guy who is just happy to be a part of it. I want to win, I want to dominate and I want to go deep, and I think we have the group in here to do that. -Kane

Inside The Cage: Kane's Quest for the Playoffs

Man, ive been waiting my whole life to hear a sharks player say that.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
"I'm not going to be satisfied just making the playoffs, I want to win in the playoffs," he said. "I'm not the guy who is just happy to be a part of it. I want to win, I want to dominate and I want to go deep, and I think we have the group in here to do that. -Kane

Inside The Cage: Kane's Quest for the Playoffs

Man, ive been waiting my whole life to hear a sharks player say that.

Pretty sure they have.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Good news is he will actually have trade value and if it comes down to singing Kane + Jumbo + JT, we can move Boedker in a trade. If its just Kane + cheap Jumbo then we keep Boedker and hes got value. Took him long enough haha but whatever ill take it.

Tavares is a pipe dream.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Everyone but the Islanders right now is a pipe dream when it comes to Tavares. It's a fun conversation though. lol

It's fun to dream. Unless he totally wants out of the East, I just don't see him coming out West. Money talks though. I could see him in N.J. tbh.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's fun to dream. Unless he totally wants out of the East, I just don't see him coming out West. Money talks though. I could see him in N.J. tbh.

New Jersey definitely offers Tavares certain advantages with the money capability, the team getting better and looking good for future success, and the ability to not have to uproot everything. I just don't know if New Jersey ownership is willing to spend what is necessary to bring in Tavares. There isn't much to go on when it comes to the willingness of Harris and Blitzer to spend this kind of money. At least with Hasso, you can point to Vlasic and Burns' contracts in terms of willingness to invest long term here but obviously not to the 11 to potentially 16 million dollars a year that it may take for Tavares. We'll see. I just don't think he's going back to the Islanders and he's going to go somewhere else. Just no clue where that would be.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
As it’s been widely reported, the Sharks were in the running to land Stamkos. That would logically mean that Doug had the green light to offer a large deal in both term and money. I’m not concerned with Hasso tying DW’s hands on a potential Tavares offer.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As it’s been widely reported, the Sharks were in the running to land Stamkos. That would logically mean that Doug had the green light to offer a large deal in both term and money. I’m not concerned with Hasso tying DW’s hands on a potential Tavares offer.

IIRC there's been some dobts about whether or not the Sharks were really "in the running" or not. I believe it was that Elliot Friedman reported it, but it came off kind of like speculation, but that a bunch of other media and hockey journalists took that speculation to mean "Friedman is reporting the Sharks are one of the teams that's in on him" even if that wasn't really the case.

Not saying they weren't. Not actually saying they were either. Just saying that I seem to remember it being a lot less clear than it was ever originally reported.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Here are the facts on Stamkos:

Pierre LeBrun said that Buffalo, Detroit, Toronto (maybe not these exact 3, but he specifically named 3 teams) and a mystery 4th team had met with Stamkos in person to make their pitch.

Elliott Friedman, the king of speculation, regurgitated this information, adding that he believes the San Jose Sharks to be that mystery 4th team. Later, in that very same article, he spoke of this as fact, saying something along the lines of "it was a stealth run, and I'd be curious to know how close they actually got".

Take that for what you will.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
IIRC there's been some dobts about whether or not the Sharks were really "in the running" or not. I believe it was that Elliot Friedman reported it, but it came off kind of like speculation, but that a bunch of other media and hockey journalists took that speculation to mean "Friedman is reporting the Sharks are one of the teams that's in on him" even if that wasn't really the case.

Not saying they weren't. Not actually saying they were either. Just saying that I seem to remember it being a lot less clear than it was ever originally reported.
That’s a safer approach to the speculation of the Stamkos situation. Although if memory serves me correctly, I thought LeBrun had reported/speculated it before Friedman did. Regardless, I know LeBrun has referenced the Sharks pursuit of Stamkos recently in one of his Athletic articles. In general I hold LeBrun in higher regard than Friedman, especially when it comes to the Sharks.

No matter, I just want Tavares in Teal so I’m happy to grasp at straws.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Here are the facts on Stamkos:

Pierre LeBrun said that Buffalo, Detroit, Toronto (maybe not these exact 3, but he specifically named 3 teams) and a mystery 4th team had met with Stamkos in person to make their pitch.

Elliott Friedman, the king of speculation, regurgitated this information, adding that he believes the San Jose Sharks to be that mystery 4th team. Later, in that very same article, he spoke of this as fact, saying something along the lines of "it was a stealth run, and I'd be curious to know how close they actually got".

Take that for what you will.
I just quickly went back through some of LeBrun’s most recent articles on The Athletic where he referenced the Sharks’ interest in Stamkos:

“And while Stamkos made the Bolts sweat until the 11th hour into late June 2016, speaking with Buffalo, Montreal, Toronto and San Jose before deciding to stay put, it all worked out for Yzerman and the Lightning.” - LeBrun 2/1/18

“The difference then was that Stamkos and Newport, as the rules state, waited until the official speaking period opened in late June to hear presentations from other bidding teams (Buffalo, Montreal, Toronto and San Jose). Had Stamkos decided he wanted to join, let’s say for fun, the Sharks, it really gave Newport and Tampa Bay a real short window to get the sign-and-trade done. Because remember, Tampa only had until June 30 at midnight to give him eight years.” - LeBrun 3/16/18

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I like to think that if the Sharks, sans Jumbo, make a strong showing in the playoffs this year, we can attract Tavares. Clearly the younger core of our team has been improving and paying dividends, and clearly we have competent management. That isnt to say other team's cant offer those elements and cap space, but it certainly separates us from the pack.

I really think it happens

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The one thing that most don’t seem to be acknowledging in regards to Tavares is that DW and the Sharks make moves to ensure they are competitive nearly every year.

While it hasn’t payed the ultimate dividend yet, DW has a track record of making aggressive moves to shore up team weakness through trades and, more recently, UFA signings to add to the team heading into the playoffs.

While, we on HF, might fret over the current state of the pipeline - players must notice that regardless of their poor draft position over the years DW has managed to creatively add to the team year over year to ensure they have a legit shot (read: are a playoff team) at the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad