Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion III - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Their performance as a line has been pretty good relative to the team.

They are receiving sub 900 sv on ice though which tanks their gf%

Hertl is boosted big time scoring wise by cooch where cooch sees the puck a lot more with hertl.

I think hertl would generate chances regardless, however, with couture youll see a higher conversion rate.

An interesting experiment would be to get kane on their line but there isnt enough games to glean anything from it.

But they are a good line.

Yeah I'm aware their GF% is being tanked by very poor Sv%, which is why Im not saying they are a bad line. They also are doing fine in all the counting stats, like CF/FF/HDCF/SF etc. What I am saying is this is due to each player being individually good, not because they are making each other better.

Its a little hard to proclaim Cooch boosts Hertl's scoring "big time" when they play almost exclusively with each other. Thus there is very little with which to compare his scoring. Also since they've been on the same line all year long, any time spent away from each other, would be when one is in the box, or during line changes. Thus not really a representation of how Hertl or Cooch would do on separate lines, with players that compliment their strengths better.

If we take a look at past years, where sample sizes are bigger, Hertl actually is scoring at a lesser pace with Cooch, then he did with Thornton/Pavs. By a massive margin looking two years ago. Which is why I was so upset that Deboer ever broke that line up. Neither Pavs/Thornton or Hertl have rebounded since, until Kane with Pavs helped him out greatly.

Also, just because their combined GF/60 is higher together(especially Hertls), does not actually mean they are doing that together. In fact, as I pointed out, they rarely are in on each others goals, and don't play the same game. So just because Cooch is a good goalscorer, he doesn't seem to be doing it via Hertl, but individually. So their numbers look fine, but watching them, its apparent they don't click as linemates to actually score goals. Just happen to be around when each other score goals.

Also, and this is a very subjective observation I admit, they don't seem to interact positively with each other on or off the ice. Now obviously the bench isn't being showed a ton, so I could be missing tons of interactions where they are laughing/talking, having a good time or seem to be communicating, however so far I haven't noticed them doing that at all. Also Hertl seems very subdued, almost sad lately, which is odd for him. Once again this is just personal feelings, and not an argument.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think Couture can keep up his production without someone like Hertl to help him keep possession as well as he does. At least not long term. You could probably do Couture with Thornton when he returns although Thornton is probably going to want someone like Pavelski on his wing as well to be one of his primary targets for his passes. We'll see. There's still a while until that happens and until then, Hertl and Couture together is probably their best option.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I don't think Couture can keep up his production without someone like Hertl to help him keep possession as well as he does. At least not long term. You could probably do Couture with Thornton when he returns although Thornton is probably going to want someone like Pavelski on his wing as well to be one of his primary targets for his passes. We'll see. There's still a while until that happens and until then, Hertl and Couture together is probably their best option.

Yeah, Im not hopeful they are seperated, and honestly, If deboer continues to utilize Hertl as the defensive center, cooch really is one of the best defensive forwards on the team, who is also top 6 material. So naturally they would stay together. I just dont love it.

Reactions: CrypTic

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'd watch the hell out of a Couture-Thornton-Meier line.

Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Couture-Thornton-Meier
Hertl-Tierney-Labanc
Boedker-Fehr-Hansen

4th line is called "Two Fehr Danes"

I don't like Pavelski at Center. I'd rather let Couture and Hertl center their own line and go for maximum depth:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Kane, Thornton, Pavelski
Goodrow, Couture, Labanc
Boedker, Tierney, Hansen
Ward, Fehr, Karlsson

A Meier, Hertl, Donskoi line probably wouldn't score that much but would be right up there with the leagues most scary possession lines. On a good day, with Hertl/Meier also winning faceoffs, I'm confident that they could shut/wear down any line leaguewide.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pavelski has been fine at center so far. If that continues I wouldn't split it up.

Has been fair in most games but got exposed badly in some games when targeted. He's done better than expected but his skating and game against the puck isn't where it should be to play top minutes as a Center. He'd get humiliated in a playoff matchup...at least in away games. Hertl, Thornton, Couture and Tierney are more reliable.

Jul 10, 2010
I'd watch the hell out of a Couture-Thornton-Meier line.

Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Couture-Thornton-Meier
Hertl-Tierney-Labanc
Boedker-Fehr-Hansen

4th line is called "Two Fehr Danes"

I think id put Goodrow at C and have Fehr as the 13th, but i like the rest of the lineup

I also think your line up is more likely for PDB

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have major doubts that Pavelski centering his own line would hold up against a Kopitar line or a Getzlaf line in the playoffs.
Yah. I don't think the Pavs line can match against those guys. But, if we use Hertl-Jumbo-Couture as the other line, I am pretty sure they could match up against Kopitar or Getzlaf lines.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yah. I don't think the Pavs line can match against those guys. But, if we use Hertl-Jumbo-Couture as the other line, I am pretty sure they could match up against Kopitar or Getzlaf lines.

Possibly but then would a Pavelski line hold up against a Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line or a Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg line? Maybe against the Ducks but doubtful against the Kings.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Don't you think any opponent would target Pavelski whatever other lines the Sharks have? I can guarantee you that. Knowing how bad DeBoer's on ice management is he probably wouldn't be able to help Pavelski all that much. Seriously. DeBoer is like Boudreau bad at matching lines...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Possibly but then would a Pavelski line hold up against a Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line or a Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg line? Maybe against the Ducks but doubtful against the Kings.

Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi would eat both of those with the way that they're playing right now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I guess we could double shift the thornton line then

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi would eat both of those with the way that they're playing right now.

The way they're playing now is against some questionable competition. They're not going to play that way against a team like the Ducks or the Kings. There's no way in hell they would eat both of those lines.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I find it odd Deboer doesn't want the players to see what they did wrong/could have done differently after a shift by using the tablets. (from Pete DeBoer doesn't want Sharks players on iPads on bench )

I agree with DeBoer for once. You don't want your whole bench looking at screens. They're not gonna learn much just from watching their latest shifts. Watching the game and talk with linemates and coaches is just as important and you don't lose your focus because of it. Do the video stuff between games, not during games. Maybe between periods but even then they probably have better stuff to do.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Which center besides hertl could out possess kopitar or getz?

Besides deboer will match tierney against them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->