Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's great news. For our d pairings and our PP.

Does him being on the second unit with Montour mean Sami is the other guy at the point on the first unit? Or is that just wishful thinking and RC is still running the stupid four forward set up?
Vatanen isn't taking full practice yet I don't think.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Are we that stingy that we're sending down guys who are basically established NHLers to save a few bucks over the course of the season?

Absolutely. At least it is San Diego and not the east coast. I think they have to physically report so a drive to San Diego is better than a flight to Syracuse!!!

I remember a few years back we had a player flying back to the east coast every time the Ducks had 3 or more days off. That really would suck.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I asked Stephens about it, and he said he thinks it was to "save some coin" so appears so.. I hope it's for needed cap space later on. Who knows though?
Can't wait to see what overpaid 3rd pairing / 4th line scrub we use it on next.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's probably been asked before, but why are we not putting Kesler on LTIR? Doesn't that give you additional cap space?
It gives you a cap credit rather than additional Cap Space (semantics) of the amount over the Cap that the player would take you. Ideally you're right at the cap to use it. There's other fine details about the time to use it that I don't really understand, but that's probably why they haven't used it yet.

I'd also assume that shelling out 6M in salary for players who aren't on the ice isn't making management very happy.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Carlyle said that Hampus will definitely be with Manson when he comes back. Last year I was definitely against this, but Cam and Josh haven't had the greatest starts so I'm fine with. The downside is it looks like Bieksa will be paired with Fowler until Vatanen comes back, which hopefully isn't too far off.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Carlyle said that Hampus will definitely be with Manson when he comes back. Last year I was definitely against this, but Cam and Josh haven't had the greatest starts so I'm fine with. The downside is it looks like Bieksa will be paired with Fowler until Vatanen comes back, which hopefully isn't too far off.

He did pair Fowler with Montour at times last season. Hoping that's the case, Montour needs a competent partner. Although the thought of a Beauchemin Bieksa pairing is terrifying.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
He did pair Fowler with Montour at times last season. Hoping that's the case, Montour needs a competent partner. Although the thought of a Beauchemin Bieksa pairing is terrifying.

We see that on the 2nd unit PP occasionally. I haven't made up my mind on whether that pairing is worse than Holzer - Bieksa.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Keep Bieksa as far away from Fowler as possible.

EDIT:
Eric Stephens @icemancometh 1m1 min
Pure guess but if Lindholm does play and lines up next to Manson as RC indicated, I'd think Fowler and Montour are a pair.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Montour needs freedom and Beauchemin as been ball & chain.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Having said that RC has had the d-pairs mixed up yesterday and today. Lindholm has skated with Montour a fair bit. (maybe if 4 & 42 stay).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It gives you a cap credit rather than additional Cap Space (semantics) of the amount over the Cap that the player would take you. Ideally you're right at the cap to use it. There's other fine details about the time to use it that I don't really understand, but that's probably why they haven't used it yet.

I'd also assume that shelling out 6M in salary for players who aren't on the ice isn't making management very happy.
From my understanding LTIR allows you to exceed the cap by the players cap it minus the amount of cap space available when they are put on IR. Most importantly though is that you do not accrue cap space on that LTIR. For instance if we had a fully healthy roster and say 3 mill in cap space left we would accrue cap space for the trade deadline based on 3 mill. But when players go on IR and are replaced we don't "regain" that cap space. For instance if we replace Kesler on the roster with a replacement player making a mill we do not accrue cap space at a rate of 8.875(3 mill +6.875 mill- 1 mill) but rather accrue as if we had 2 (3 mill - 1 mill) mill in cap space. The LTIR system really only benefits cap teams. With all our injuries we are acrueing cap space at a rate much smaller than we would if healthy. Which hurts our ability to add at the deadline.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
When healthy I would like the following defense pairs
Fowler - Manson
Lindholm - Montour
Whoever is playing the best - Vatanen

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour shouldn't be in the top 4 over Vatanen unless he ups his game with whatever new partner he gets when Lindholm is back. He's clearly going through some growing pains, it may be his partner or he may just be a sophomore who needs to be sheltered.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Montour has been solid (other then missing the net everytime he shoots) He has saved Beauchemin's ass multiple times on breakaways from being too slow or idiotic pinches.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour has been solid (other then missing the net everytime he shoots) He has saved Beauchemin's ass multiple times on breakaways from being too slow or idiotic pinches.

Except he's playing 2 on 1s poorly, is turning the puck over more than last year and generally looks like a promising but inexperienced young Dman. Part of that's his partner but part of it is growing pains. He's done nothing to justify playing in the top 4 over Vatanen who outside of last year has been a very good NHLer (and even last year he was still a guy who could eat a lot of minutes even if he was disappointing).

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Please give us lindholm montour and Manson Fowler. Great pairings in my opinion even if vats is the odd man out. However if they plan on moving vats at some point then leaving him on the 3rd pairing wouldn't help his trade value. I like vats on the pk and pp so maybe he will make up no tues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->