Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Agree Penna. But the ducks knew going into the Eaves signing that he’s injury prone. His entire career he’s done this. Murray needs to focus on JVR for wing support this offseason. If you read the trade boards Toronto can’t afford to resign him and the fans say he’s completely available. I wouldn’t mind 60+ points a season and solving this wing issue once and forall.

Get rid of Silf as well. We can barely keep afloat in the Pacific division against the Kings, sharks, and Golden Knights. How many seasons do we have to be the wild card? Upgrade that LW please
Oh god, you want to solve the wing issue by adding a player we don’t need while also moving Silf. Yeah, that sure solves the wing issue...JVR might bring in 60 points, but his lack of literary everything else will lead to more goals against, especially if you’re taking out Silf. Zero interest in JVR at the price tag he’ll demand, let someone else make that mistake.

Reactions: Spazkat

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The only reason the Bobby contract is a "disaster" is because he's been injured so much, and Ottawa obviously didn't sign him knowing he would be chronically injured. A healthy Bobby is easily moveable with like 15% retention. Now I want absolutely no part of JVR nor do we have the money for him, but as long as he stays healthy enough to put up close to 30 goals and 60 points his contract will never be a disaster.

JVR is worth the money. He’s not injury prone like Eaves. And we are seeing that effect right now. Murray is dumb knowing the injury history of Eaves. And now the club pays the cost of the signing. We don’t make the playoffs this year or have a low seed going in if we make it. And that’s that. This team needs JVR on the LW regardless of the price. Having two lines score under 10 goals a season combined on the Left Wing is ridiculous.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
JVR is worth the money. He’s not injury prone like Eaves. And we are seeing that effect right now. Murray is dumb knowing the injury history of Eaves. And now the club pays the cost of the signing. We don’t make the playoffs this year or have a low seed going in if we make it. And that’s that. This team needs JVR on the LW regardless of the price. Having two lines score under 10 goals a season combined on the Left Wing is ridiculous.

Whether he's worth it or not doesn't really matter because we don't have the money for that kind of a contract.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Regardless of the price? How can you expect to be taken seriously with statements like that?

Have a look at this team's cap situation moving forward, there is precious little wiggle room to be found there. It's debatable whether there's any room to make a competitive offer for any big free agent - and you're suggesting a blank cheque for a flakey, one dimensional winger? Ridiculous...

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Besides, JVR is a complimentary-style player who needs skilled forwards to play with. There's a chance he'd sink here underneath the tutelage of Old Randy, and if that happens, we've got ourselves an absolutely useless player. If he doesn't click with this team (and there's a good chance of that given the way we're trending right now), then he's too one-dimensional to offer anything else to the team.

Too much risk, not nearly enough reward. And it's not like his stock is low -- we'd be buying high on him even if he only does have a year left. We won't be able to afford his next contract and swapping out Silfverberg for JVR is a net negative given the defensive sides of their game.

JVR was a horrible fit for us back when Toronto fans were buggering us daily about him, and he still is now -- perhaps even more so than before. I'd much rather see what we have in Ritchie before I watch us make a foolish move like that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

JVR is very good at scoring goals. That’s all he does. He can’t skate the puck into the zone, he can’t backcheck, he doesn’t win defensive zone board battles and he can barely sustain a cycle. Anyone who pays him on a long term deal will be burned, especially given that goal scorers numbers generally decline earlier than playmakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortal Wombat

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Honestly I think we need to upgrade the second line. With thr assumption that Eaves will be healthy next year I'd try to get Saad from Chicago and then move Ritchie for a D man. Push Cogs down with Rico and Kase and put Saad with Kesler and Eaves. With the assumption that Eaves will miss time you have a built in opportunity for a guy like Terry to get a call up.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
With a coach that is going to run a defensive "shutdown" line, what's the point of bringing in offensive minded wingers and dumping Silf? RC is not going to break up the Cogs/Kes/Silf line and put scoring wingers with Kesler.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Regardless of the price? How can you expect to be taken seriously with statements like that?

Have a look at this team's cap situation moving forward, there is precious little wiggle room to be found there. It's debatable whether there's any room to make a competitive offer for any big free agent - and you're suggesting a blank cheque for a flakey, one dimensional winger? Ridiculous...

I’ve already cleared two million in cap by releasing Chimera because he’s UFA. Ritchie goes to the Gulls and Silf is traded makes room for 5 million +. 6 by 6 can work with the cap area we have. No reason for ducks to be cheap on this type of upgrade. If we have to cut even more cost I have no issue not resigning Grant and letting Steel create his pro career there while moving him up in the roster during the season.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
"Ritchie goes to the Gulls" is the equivalent of saying "Ritchie goes to another team for nothing". 22 year old power forwards with his upside don't clear waivers.
Came here to say this.

Don’t make roster posts withoutat least taking the minimal time to check Capfriendly and see who is actually waiver eligible.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
"Ritchie goes to the Gulls" is the equivalent of saying "Ritchie goes to another team for nothing". 22 year old power forwards with his upside don't clear waivers.

He’s a wash.... 7 goals 24 points while getting roughly 18 minutes a night? What are you expecting? He’s definitely not Seguin in the beginning of his career. I wouldn’t focus this future on em if JVR is available and we can make the money work. You all seem to think prospects are late bloomers. Ritchie isnt one. He reminds me of George Parros he can chip in every now and again, but is relied on for toughness not his scoring ability.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s a wash.... 7 goals 24 points while getting roughly 18 minutes a night? What are you expecting? He’s definitely not Seguin in the beginning of his career. I wouldn’t focus this future on em if JVR is available and we can make the money work. You all seem to think prospects are late bloomers. Ritchie isnt one. He reminds me of George Parros he can chip in every now and again, but is relied on for toughness not his scoring ability.

On what planet is Ritchie playing 18 minutes per night? He’s playing 13 a night.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If he reminds you of Parros I truly don't know what to tell you. Parros had 36 points in his entire 400+ game career. He was an awful hockey player, true old school heavyweight enforcer type. Ritchie could probably get that in a season next year

Ritchie is the new type of enforcer. He can play the game but also likes to drop 'em and stand up for teammates

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I am by no means Ritchie's biggest fan, but come on. He's not a Seguin, but if things go right he still could be a consistent 20-goal scorer -- that is in no way a worthless player, nor one that we should be putting on waivers. He's 22, for crying out loud. Give him some time. Not everyone in this league scores 50+ at age 18. Power forwards especially take a while to develop.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Who is expecting Ritchie to be Seguin? And BTW, JVR is no Seguin either. Ritchie is 22, has a big body and some skills. Since he is very affordable, Ducks can afford to be patient.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Who is expecting Ritchie to be Seguin? And BTW, JVR is no Seguin either. Ritchie is 22, has a big body and some skills. Since he is very affordable, Ducks can afford to be patient.

We can’t afford to be patient and compete. We are in a wild card race while VGK dominates same with San Jose in the pacific.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
We can’t afford to be patient and compete. We are in a wild card race while VGK dominates same with San Jose in the pacific.

Rakell seems glued into the top line LW spot at this point. No one is going to replace Cogs on the Kesler line without a major change in the philosophy of the team (ie no longer using a shut down type line). That leaves Ritchie at best as a 3rd line LW. We can afford to be patient with a 22 year old 3rd line LW who plays a physical game and I believe will take another step next season into a 15/20 or 20/20 type player.

I'd like to be able to stack this team like you want, and find a way to bring in another goal scoring top six LW, but I just don't see it happening given our current philosophy of having a shutdown line and our current cap situation.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

You’re throwing a lot out there hu?

We need JVR regardless of price?

Ritchie is now Parros. Honestly that’s about as bad of a comparison as there is. Nothing about Ritchie’s game is parros like.

Ritchie gets 18 minutes a night?

Did you have an old user name here that rhymes with Lucksgo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad