Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
SH%
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny 55.4% (27-14)
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek 56.3% (24-10)
Giroux-Couturier-Simmonds 53.3% (5-3)

Does it even matter who plays RW with these two? I'll bet you could plug NAK in and hardly miss a beat

Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek 56% (7-4)
Voracek-Patrick-Simmonds 51.5% (5-5)
Simmonds-Patrick-Weal 51.0% (3-3)

Raffl-Filppula-Konecny 50.3% (4-4)
Raffl-Flippula-Voracek 45.6% (9-3)
Konecny-Filppula-Simmons 48.6% (3-2)
Weal-Filppula-Simmonds 46.1% (3-8)
Lehtera-Filppula-Weise 44.6% (3-2)
Total (Filppula): 46.9% (22-19)

Raffl-Laughton-Weal 51.8% (4-5)
Raffl-Laughton-Leier 56.8% (3-6)

Weal is bad news, 7-13 when he's on a line.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny 55.4% (27-14)
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek 56.3% (24-10)
Giroux-Couturier-Simmonds 53.3% (5-3)

Does it even matter who plays RW with these two? I'll bet you could plug NAK in and hardly miss a beat

You really are the Don Quixote of minimizing Voracek and Konecny.

Yes, it matters, unless you are the under the belief nothing matters, in which case it still matters. Simmonds unequivocally messed with the dynamic of that line when together, as did Raffl. Now, I'm not saying either couldn't produce good results with G/Coots long-term. I do think anyone could succeed with them. But the degree of that success would not be the same. The idea that TK and Jake are just plug-in-play types on that line who don't elevate the other two as well is absurd.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
TK just needs two more points to have the most 6th ESP by a Flyers forward in the past five seasons: The guys ahead of him are:

Couturier 17-18 - 56 ESP in 73 games
Giroux 17-18 - 55 ESP in 73 games
Giroux 13-14 - 49 ESP in 82 games
Voracek 14-15 - 48 ESP in 82 games
Voracek 17-18 - 45 ESP in 73 games

NHL.com - Stats

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
TK just needs two more points to have the most 6th ESP by a Flyers forward in the past five seasons
happy-and-sad-picture.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You really are the Don Quixote of minimizing Voracek and Konecny.

Yes, it matters, unless you are the under the belief nothing matters, in which case it still matters. Simmonds unequivocally messed with the dynamic of that line when together, as did Raffl. Now, I'm not saying either couldn't produce good results with G/Coots long-term. I do think anyone could succeed with them. But the degree of that success would not be the same. The idea that TK and Jake are just plug-in-play types on that line who don't elevate the other two as well is absurd.

It was more a comment about how good Giroux and Couts are together, the dropoff to Simmonds wasn't that great.
And yes, I think NAK would get 20+ goals playing with them, the same way Raffl had 20 goals playing with Giroux and Voracek.

Where you see the impact of Voracek and Konecny is not with the first line, but elevating Raffl and Filppula.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I haven't been to the polls board since Ghost's rookie year where Leafs fans were saying everything under the sun to diminsh his great rookie season (and that Columbus fan that swore Ryan Murray was better, whoops).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't been to the polls board since Ghost's rookie year where Leafs fans were saying everything under the sun to diminsh his great rookie season (and that Columbus fan that swore Ryan Murray was better, whoops).

Basically any undersized more offensively geared defensemen is Marc-Andre Bergeron on there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is?
Weal is a big disappointment, after that finish last year I was hoping for a solid 3rd line LW for a few years.
And you can't say he didn't get a full shot, 62 games at 12:55. 5-10 15 at ES.
He hasn't been bad, just meh.
But there's no upside there, lacks size and speed, isn't very physical, good at puck possession but doesn't stand out in any area.
Simply doesn't score enough to balance his limitations.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Thats fine and all but the team needs new life in the bottom six. Weal, Read, Lehtera, Weise, and Filpulla all need to go.

At some point, one has to acknowledge that not every player on the squad should be reasonably thought of as potential all-star material, nor the under-the-radar breakout player of the season (pick a Golden Knight for comparison, except Belle, leave Belle alone).

Weal is fine a bottom-6 player, taking 2.37% of the Flyers cap space. Guys like him and Raffl are ideal, in the sense that they are competent in some fashion. If one is depending on a guy like Weal to carry the burden of scoring, they are in trouble. But aside from high upside young players (rookies/ELC/1st extension rfas), finding that type of production on the cheap just doesn't happen. Weal signed an UFA contract, to expect dazzling returns from him is unrealistic.

More Weal, less Lehtera and Weise. Filp and Read will resolve themselves after the end of this season, it's on Hextall to obtain better FAs during the off-season, or promote from within raising the Phantoms.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My problem with Weal is scoring is his drawing card, if he's a meh scorer he has little value.
Whereas Raffl contributes in numerous ways, and has still managed to post 10-8 18.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Half the reason why i come to HFboards is to read what Leaf fans have to say. It is really funny how delusional one of the worst franchises of all time perceives themselves, and their players. Someone tried to convince me that losing JVR and Bozak was good because they have better players coming up. TML is in trouble and they don't even know it. All of their young talent is already at the nhl level producing. I really wonder how this team is going to get better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is?
Weal is a big disappointment, after that finish last year I was hoping for a solid 3rd line LW for a few years.
And you can't say he didn't get a full shot, 62 games at 12:55. 5-10 15 at ES.
He hasn't been bad, just meh.
But there's no upside there, lacks size and speed, isn't very physical, good at puck possession but doesn't stand out in any area.
Simply doesn't score enough to balance his limitations.

How is Weal a big disappointment? I think you had expectations above and beyond what was reasonable.

Gudas has been a big disappointment. Simmonds has been a big disappointment. Weally is weally just Weal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal was a big scorer in junior hockey and the AHL, while he has a marginal skill package, it was reasonable to hope that he'd be a 25-30 point ES scorer on the 3rd line with average at best defense.
Last season 23g 7-4 11
This season 62g 5-10 15
So he failed to build on a strong finish, you can blame playing with Filppula and Laughton, but he's played worse with them than other forwards.
Yes, he's better than Leier/Lehtera/Weise, but that's damning with faint praise.
He's become a less feisty version of Cousins, instead of a more offensively skilled one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Weal was a big scorer in junior hockey and the AHL, while he has a marginal skill package, it was reasonable to hope that he'd be a 25-30 point ES scorer on the 3rd line with average at best defense.
Last season 23g 7-4 11
This season 62g 5-10 15
So he failed to build on a strong finish, you can blame playing with Filppula and Laughton, but he's played worse with them than other forwards.
Yes, he's better than Leier/Lehtera/Weise, but that's damning with faint praise.
He's become a less feisty version of Cousins, instead of a more offensively skilled one.

He's not been in much position to produce and it's his first full-ish season. Not every player hits the ground running and never looks back.

If Hakstol is as great at development as you claim, surely he will get Weal sorted out.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal is not some kid, he turns 26 in April, he has 4 AHL seasons under his belt.
As some point there isn't anything there to develop.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I expected a bit more from Weal but he's been fine. He is fine. Without looking I'd guess that every team in the league has given 2 forwards worse than Weal 40+ games. He's failed to capitalize on some golden opportunities but he's had some bad puck luck (worst shooting % of any forward on the team). He has 17 points in 62 games with little PP time; if he had 25 points I think we'd be pretty happy.

I don't anticipate him getting any better, but that's ok. If NAK and Rubtsov push ahead of him on the depth chart, he can still be a fine 12th/13th forward. Being better than Weise and Lehtera is actually a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad