Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Man... When you look at how the Crunch are performing, combined with how TB is performing... Combined with how several of our CHL prospects are over-performing... Is there an organization in the league in as good shape as we currently are?

Short answer is no.

We SHOULD be winning all the Stanley Cups year after year but as I said in my previous statement I think we need to go all in here. There are SO MANY teams that I can think of that under-performed in their era that deserved to make history and didn't. Those Bruins in the 70's should've won anywhere from 3 to 5 Cups but didn't. The Braves DOMINATED for like 15 years and only won a single World Series. To cite 6 degrees of separation, in that one World Series Championship those Braves defeated a juggernaut Indians franchise that dominated the 90's and to this day those teams are still arguably among of the best hitting clubs of all time. Cleveland didn't win a single championship. The coke machine Mets of the 1980's won their single title in '86 and they should've won at least another. The Chicago Bears of 1985 are commonly regarded as the greatest football team of all time and yet that one championship year is the only thing they managed to do. The Bills teams of the early 1990's went for FOUR straight Super Bowls and didn't win a single one. The Raiders of the 1970's always fell short in the Conference Final game and despite the fact they won a championship in an era dominated by the Steelers. I'd love to cite the NBA but considering that 20+ years can just be labeled Celtics win/Lakers win I do not regard it as a league of much parity.

We CAN NOT afford to become coulda, shoulda, woulda. We've seen the Sharks and Capitals do it for somewhere close to 10 years now and by God we're gonna end up just like them if we keep coming up short. Whatever it takes the Lightning need to get greedy and pile on here. Another defenseman, another high octane winger, bringing back Brian Boyle... man I don't care what it is.

As you alluded to, the farm is incredible, we're incredible everything is incredible. There IS no other organization like this. It took 25 years but we are at the pinnacle of our franchise's existence and on the night of December 10th 2017 we are at the pinnacle of the NHL.

Reactions: berlin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We SHOULD stand pat but I think we need to go all in here. The Lightning need to stop being footnotes in history and start winning championships. This is technically year 5 of our window if you want to count 2013-2014 and the brief playoff run against Montreal that ended before it got started.

At this point we need to do whatever it takes.

Our window started in 2014-2015, this is year 4. However you lose an element of surprise every year you lose, 2015 was by far our best chance - we may end up being the best team going into this years playoffs but everyone will be ready.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Our window started in 2014-2015, this is year 4. However you lose an element of surprise every year you lose, 2015 was by far our best chance - we may end up being the best team going into this years playoffs but everyone will be ready.
2015 still haunts me. We should have won that year. :(

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
2015 still haunts me. We should have won that year. :(

In all honesty, Gong we were lucky to even be competing for the Cup and to have even gotten that far. I think most of us saw 2014-2015 as a building year with winning a playoff series as a realistic expectation. Winning two playoff series might've been seen as a little greedy but it's not like it would have been seen as unrealistic either because we proved to be one of the best in our division all year long.

As for me personally as the year wore on I figured we were going to run through the Atlantic and make it as far as the ECF. I knew we were good enough to take a few games against whoever we'd face so I figured the season would end there in about 6 games. I think any of us would've been wholly satisfied with us losing a 6 game series to the NYR (a team who was playing in its 3rd ECF within a few years time) and regarded it a landmark in the turnaround of our team. It wasn't until we got the Cup and got so close that the pain of losing a championship became relevant. By the time the ECF rolled around I was in the fan equivalent of cruise control with absolutely zero pressure and expectation. Every game we lost was no big deal, every game we won was a learning experience. It was soooooo much fun. The room would be sweating bullets and I'd be there with a big, goofy smile on my face and a drink in my hand like I was watching someone else play. We won game 7 and a few hours later it was like "Oh shit... we're going to the finals. We're 4 wins from the Cup" and it became like that scene in Major League about winning the whole thing.

For obvious reasons I wasn't going to say any of this out loud any more than I (or anyone else for that matter) is saying what we expect the team to do this year.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
In all honesty, Gong we were lucky to even be competing for the Cup and to have even gotten that far. I think most of us saw 2014-2015 as a building year with winning a playoff series as a realistic expectation. Winning two playoff series might've been seen as a little greedy but it's not like it would have been seen as unrealistic either because we proved to be one of the best in our division all year long.

As for me personally as the year wore on I figured we were going to run through the Atlantic and make it as far as the ECF. I knew we were good enough to take a few games against whoever we'd face so I figured the season would end there in about 6 games. I think any of us would've been wholly satisfied with us losing a 6 game series to the NYR (a team who was playing in its 3rd ECF within a few years time) and regarded it a landmark in the turnaround of our team. It wasn't until we got the Cup and got so close that the pain of losing a championship became relevant. By the time the ECF rolled around I was in the fan equivalent of cruise control with absolutely zero pressure and expectation. Every game we lost was no big deal, every game we won was a learning experience. It was soooooo much fun. The room would be sweating bullets and I'd be there with a big, goofy smile on my face and a drink in my hand like I was watching someone else play. We won game 7 and a few hours later it was like "Oh ****... we're going to the finals. We're 4 wins from the Cup" and it became like that scene in Major League about winning the whole thing.

For obvious reasons I wasn't going to say any of this out loud any more than I (or anyone else for that matter) is saying what we expect the team to do this year.

I dont think we were lucky. We were definitely ahead of schedule for our window and making the final but the team was solid. Had solid depth and everyone was scoring. The team was breaking records that year.

We had the perfect storybook cup run. Epic series with Detroit to get the guys some playoff experience. We almost sweep the Haps after suffering a sweep at them the previous year. We dominated the Habs. Then Cally returns home to take on St. Louis and the rangers in the ECF.

We face the dominant Blackhawks in the final and hold our own. Then injuries cost us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll second the idea that we "weren't lucky," but just "ahead of schedule." That's a good way to put it.

The interesting thing is, last year made 2015 feel like a mirage. But this year's team is pretty much the one we thought we were building toward back then. We just took a bit of a detour getting here.

As for Cups... So much luck is involved, you just hope to win one someday. I was more talking about our organization in general. We have the current top team in the NHL and we're set up for years to come. The org seems to be clicking on all cylinders, at every level, right now. And we're still a very young team at the NHL level, comparatively.

Reactions: The Gongshow

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Who cares if we weren't supposed to be there at the time point is it was a golden opportunity and they dropped the ball, Chicago was not an unbeatable team that year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I actually liked our chances more in 2016. We were literally one goal away from making the finals with no Stamkos or Bishop against the Pens and Strålman playing injured. The Sharks weren't nearly as good as either of Pens or Hawks. I would've liked our chances against them if we were healthy. It would be a real shame if our cup window started closing before we win the Cup since we came so close a couple of times. Luckily we are good for as long as Yzerman is with us.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It's a big if in three years but I feel this way and always will about 2011, 2015 and 2016:

If we could've beaten Tim Thomas in 2011, we would've won the cup.

If we didn't have the horrible injuries to key players in 2015, we would've won the cup.

If we would've beaten Pittsburgh with injuries to key players, again, we would've won the cup against San Jose.

There was potential for a dynasty there weaved in between LA and Chicago but we were unfortunate. Three times we were on the cusp, and three times I feel we were the best or 2nd best. The only one that was as good or better I feel was Pittsburgh. Tim Thomas really made me die a little inside but he was incredible so if it came down to that 2011 team vs 2011 Boston, it's tight. I still dislike the way that series went.

It's sigh and scoff worthy to say we could've bang, bang and bang won all three, but to be there or close to it three separate times and have injuries or Roy reincarnated shut you down, it's demoralizing. On the flip side, I'm sure Flyers fans and Flames fans say, if it wasn't for Khabibulin or if that game 6 goal, etc then we wouldn't have won.

Just my two cents. They can win it this year and that'll do. :)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How do I dislike a post? I'll put a like on that and then take it back. That's the most I can do for now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gong is going full blown Ruh Roh right now. lol this is NOT what I intended when I mentioned that we need to capitalize and not become historic footnotes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Agreed about teams being ready but in best chance to win terms that comes as a statement of a balanced team. For a while we watched DeAngelo's every move praying he would become what Sergachev is and fortunately Yzerman made up for that mishap and aside from needing a defensive catalyst we just needed balance between the forwards. A few small tweaks and we are sporting a team that I regard as our best ever.

But all that aside this shows how great SFY is and how deep we are as an organization. Somehow we retooled after getting rid of 3 regulars and a franchise goalie and got better overnight

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I still say Game 7 in 2011 was one of the best games I've ever seen in my life.

I was at Game 6, sitting in the nose-bleeds up by the roof of St Pete Times Forum (I think that's what it was back then)... I've never heard a building get that loud, I swear the whole damn building; floors and walls, actually shook. Fun times.
Then of course, it went back to Boston after that and... grrr

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Saw Sustr today.
I was leaving a meeting off Faulkenburg by the Brandon practice rink around 1230. I looked down the road as I was going by and saw a line of VERY nice cars coming. Figured either a whole bunch of rich hockey moms were leaving or the Bolts practice was getting out. Ended up next to a green/grey Merc G-Wagon at the light at 60. I look over and at first I was like "oh wow, it's Sustr" then I felt like "damn, he's still with them, ughh."

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'd rather be consistently good and keep having repeated chances to win (never know how the bounces go) than to go all in and ruin the team for another half decade or so. I'm done suffering 40+ losses a year if it can be helped. It's not like we've never won the cup before so need to be TOO desperate.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd rather be consistently good and keep having repeated chances to win (never know how the bounces go) than to go all in and ruin the team for another half decade or so. I'm done suffering 40+ losses a year if it can be helped. It's not like we've never won the cup before so need to be TOO desperate.
Point well made but after 13 years I'm ready to win another. But to your point it's not like we've been waiting for too long. Thankfully... However this is gonna suck if we don't win it all. At least in 2006 and 2013 I was mentally prepared for some kind of a playoff loss. Although, I was very certain we were at least gonna top the NJD in the first round.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
This is not the best team we are going to field over the next 4 years barring injuries. This organization could win both the Stanley and the Calder Cup in the same year over that span.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
The most amazing thing about this team is how it was built; the draft pedigree. This is last night’s lineup.
Forwards:

1st round (#27)

1st round (#1)

2nd round (#58)

7th round (#208)

3rd round (#79)

Undrafted

3rd round (#77)

Undrafted

Undrafted

Undrafted

4th round (#101)

Undrafted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense

1st round (#2)

6th round (#161)

1st round (#9)

7th round (#216)

1st round (10)

Undrafted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
1st round (#19)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The most amazing thing about this team is how it was built; the draft pedigree. This is last night’s lineup.
Forwards:
1st round (#27)1st round (#1)2nd round (#58)
7th round (#208)3rd round (#79)Undrafted
3rd round (#77)UndraftedUndrafted
Undrafted4th round (#101)Undrafted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense
1st round (#2)6th round (#161)
1st round (#9)7th round (#216)
1st round (10)Undrafted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalie
1st round (#19)

Weird way to look at it, it looks pretty diverse to me, I'm sure a lot of teams look like this if you don't show which team drafted who.

The more impressive thing about last nights lineup is that 15/19 skaters were picked or signed by the Lightning to the start of their careers. Stamkos, Namesnitkov, Kucherov, Palat, Point, Johnson, Killorn, Gourde, Conacher, Brown, Paquette, Hedman, Dotchin, Koekkoek, Vasilevski are all from the system. You could argue Sergachev as we're developing him right now or Drouin would be in place if he wasn't here, but only Kunitz, Stralman and Girardi are "outsiders".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->