Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
@Zamadoo You want the Blues to have Fabbri go straight to Rampage camp? Skip Blues main camp?

No, and I did think about that when typing. I just don't think there should be any rush for him to be a mainstay in the Blues lineup. Otherwise we end up in the situation we're in this year where we were relying on him and his production in the top 6, and he might not be that player. All of the rookies come to camp, then eventually start getting sent down to their respective leagues. I think maybe Fabbri should be grouped in with the other young guys earning a spot, rather than be thrust into a top 6 C role like he was last season.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Fabbri won't be waiver exempt, so he won't be able to play in the AHL on anything other than a conditioning assignment (typically 5 games) without having to clear waivers, which absolutely will not happen.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
No, and I did think about that when typing. I just don't think there should be any rush for him to be a mainstay in the Blues lineup. Otherwise we end up in the situation we're in this year where we were relying on him and his production in the top 6, and he might not be that player. All of the rookies come to camp, then eventually start getting sent down to their respective leagues. I think maybe Fabbri should be grouped in with the other young guys earning a spot, rather than be thrust into a top 6 C role like he was last season.

I completely disagree, Fabbri has proven that he can play in this league, the only thing he has to do is prove his knee still works. You cannot pencil him in the top 6 until camp but the a spot on this team is his until/unless his knee prevents it. It is a slap in the face to group him with the unproven players, he already has proven he can play, he was just unlucky and injured. That does not mean you do not try to get a better player to push him down in the lineup because you should ALWAYS try to upgrade every position.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I guess this is the best thread to post this. But here is an interview with Zach Sanford in San Antonio today that JR shared, talking about his injury a bit and his recovery.

Nice interview. I'm hoping Zach lands a spot on the Blues and can be productive.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Nice interview. I'm hoping Zach lands a spot on the Blues and can be productive.
Unfortunately we haven't had a good look at him yet to see his improvement on last season. Hopefully he can make an impact with San Antonio to close out the season.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I completely disagree, Fabbri has proven that he can play in this league, the only thing he has to do is prove his knee still works. You cannot pencil him in the top 6 until camp but the a spot on this team is his until/unless his knee prevents it. It is a slap in the face to group him with the unproven players, he already has proven he can play, he was just unlucky and injured. That does not mean you do not try to get a better player to push him down in the lineup because you should ALWAYS try to upgrade every position.

I agree with you, and perhaps my statement wasn't worded correctly. I'm just concerned with him coming back to professional hockey after playing only a couple of preseason games between two ACL surgeries in the same year. It's not even all about his knee holding up, but his overall game speed and reaction time allowing him to stay safe. @MissouriMook I hadn't even considered that, thought he was young enough and could start down there if placed before the season started. A 5 game conditioning stint would be fine, and is basically all I was referring to.

Any way they do it, I just want to see Fabbri worked back at a moderate pace. Restrict his minutes, give him days off, whatever.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
2 days and no update about Hutton's injury. I hope this isn't something serious. This summer is the biggest free agency of his life and it will be a huge bummer if there are lingering health issues after such a good season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Has there been any reported update on Tarasenko today?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Does anyone else find the Tarasenko situation kind of odd? Mike Yeo said he was scheduled to practice today but didn't and is doubtful for tomorrow's game against Boston.

Then you have Soshnikov's quote after the game: "I thought (Tarasenko) just got caught, his lips or something,” Soshnikov said. “I mean concussion is serious thing. I don't know what it is exactly, but if he doesn't want to go out there, I think it's his choice, it's his career. It's a big deal. He feels fine. I think it's just precaution. We'll see. It's a huge player for us."

Then Mike Yeo's quote before the Chicago game: "I talked to him this morning and he was feeling pretty good,” Yeo said before the game. “But then we realized that he wasn't going to be able to play tonight."

Does it sound like to anyone else that the team has cleared Tarasenko to play and he just doesn't want to? I'm not condemning Tarasenko's choice but is that how others see it? It's like the team keeps expecting him to play and then they are told he isn't going to.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i think the league concussion-protocol prevented him from playing in Chicago. From this point, it's up to the player I'd imagine. If he's feeling not quite, no reason to rush him back.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
i think the league concussion-protocol prevented him from playing in Chicago. From this point, it's up to the player I'd imagine. If he's feeling not quite, no reason to rush him back.

If it were league concussion protocol then why did he even travel with the team?

I agree there's no need to rush him but why don't they just say that?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I just got an alert from the Blues saying that Tarasenko is still out and doubtful for Wednesday. Since he flew with the team, that is a good sign as if he was severely concussed, he could not or would not want to fly.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Does anyone else find the Tarasenko situation kind of odd? Mike Yeo said he was scheduled to practice today but didn't and is doubtful for tomorrow's game against Boston.

Then you have Soshnikov's quote after the game: "I thought (Tarasenko) just got caught, his lips or something,” Soshnikov said. “I mean concussion is serious thing. I don't know what it is exactly, but if he doesn't want to go out there, I think it's his choice, it's his career. It's a big deal. He feels fine. I think it's just precaution. We'll see. It's a huge player for us."

Then Mike Yeo's quote before the Chicago game: "I talked to him this morning and he was feeling pretty good,” Yeo said before the game. “But then we realized that he wasn't going to be able to play tonight."

Does it sound like to anyone else that the team has cleared Tarasenko to play and he just doesn't want to? I'm not condemning Tarasenko's choice but is that how others see it? It's like the team keeps expecting him to play and then they are told he isn't going to.
I think you gotta be reeeeaaaaally careful here. Suggesting that Tarasenko should play but isn't because he "doesn't want to" is not a good path to go down IMO. Soshnikov seems to speak English pretty well, but it is very possible something simply got lost in translation for him in his second language.

Sounds like the only people that really know what's going on are Vova and the team doctors. It's worth pointing out that prior to missing the game in Chicago, Tarasenko has played in 195 straight regular season games...it's not like the guy has a history of phoning it in or playing up injuries.

Speaking as someone who has been concussed before, they are serious business and recovery/readiness can fluctuate on a day-to-day or even hour-to-hour basis.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If it were league concussion protocol then why did he even travel with the team?

I agree there's no need to rush him but why don't they just say that?

i would think it's more around playing within 24-hours of a possible-concussion, moreso than around travel restrictions...but am merely speculating. I don't see anything suspicious about they way things have been handled to this point.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Concussions are weird. You can feel fine one minute, and not so great the next. Sometimes you only feel worse when you start exerting yourself harder. The symptoms themselves can be very vague. Athletes usually aren't feeling 100% at the end of a long season anyway, which only muddies the waters as you're trying to figure out what's causing what.

It's not uncommon for recovery times to take a few weeks, even in relatively mild cases. Playing through it is a bad idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the damage you can do by getting your bell rung again.

If there's any doubt, he shouldn't be playing.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think you gotta be reeeeaaaaally careful here. Suggesting that Tarasenko should play but isn't because he "doesn't want to" is not a good path to go down IMO. Soshnikov seems to speak English pretty well, but it is very possible something simply got lost in translation for him in his second language.

Sounds like the only people that really know what's going on are Vova and the team doctors. It's worth pointing out that prior to missing the game in Chicago, Tarasenko has played in 195 straight regular season games...it's not like the guy has a history of phoning it in or playing up injuries.

Speaking as someone who has been concussed before, they are serious business and recovery/readiness can fluctuate on a day-to-day or even hour-to-hour basis.

Exactly, had a concussion several years back, I cleared protocol, started practicing again and had problems resurface and needed another week and a half recovery.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Very possible it was his last game as a Blue. But yeah he was pretty solid this season.

You never wish for injuries but the Blues have to see what they have in Schmaltz. Now is the time.

Edmundson-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Bortuzzo-Schmaltz

You know, that defense isn't bad at all considering we are missing 2 players.

Shouldn't have issues moving the puck. We are gonna need them to create some offense.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I feel better having Schmaltz in for the whatever number of games are left. His last 2 games he played in went really well.

Crap, this means someone has to play their off side. Some may say it's not a big deal, but those of us who have played defense understand what a disadvantage it really is

I agree, I will say that Bortuzzo held his own in the games between JBow going down and before Eddie came back.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Sucks for Gunny and the Blues. Crazy how many injuries the Blues sustained this year. At least Eddie got a few games under his belt, now that his minutes are about to shoot up. Good opportunity for Dunn to solidify his spot in the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad