2017-18 Playoff Watch

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do we want the Avs to remain in a Wild Card spot or have a good shot at catching Minnesota? However that is answered determines who one roots for tonight.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm rooting for Minnesota. I'd love a first round against Vegas and it'd be nice to take a little pressure off our LA game on Thursday.

The team that worries me the most right now is St Louis. I really don't want that final game of the season to matter much.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Do we want the Avs to remain in a Wild Card spot or have a good shot at catching Minnesota? However that is answered determines who one roots for tonight.
I don't want to play the Jets in the first round. I think we match up better against Vegas and NSH so I'm "cheering" for the Mild tonight (just threw up a little in my mouth while typing this).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't want to play the Jets in the first round. I think we match up better against Vegas and NSH so I'm "cheering" for the Mild tonight (just threw up a little in my mouth while typing this).

I understand where you're coming from, but...

giphy.gif

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
WC1 - get Vegas, and potentially another Pacific team if we manage to get through - rather than WC2 - Nashville - or 3rd in division - Jets.

I see Vegas and other Pacific teams as a far more manageable opponents in comparison to the Preds or Jets. We can play with Vegas, Kings, Ducks or Sharks, I don't feel the same against Jets or Preds. Basically, anyone who gets either WC2 or 3rd in our division is in for a quick exit if you ask me, unless Jets lose a key piece. And the only team I see potentially beating Preds this year are the fully healthy Jets, if Preds manage to get to the Finals without major injuries they should win the Cup.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'd take trying to go through Vegas and the winner of SJ/ANA/LA waaaaay before we try to go through NSH and WPG. Just another reason this playoff bracket system is complete crap.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
WC1 - get Vegas, and potentially another Pacific team if we manage to get through - rather than WC2 - Nashville - or 3rd in division - Jets.

I see Vegas and other Pacific teams as a far more manageable opponents in comparison to the Preds or Jets. We can play with Vegas, Kings, Ducks or Sharks, I don't feel the same against Jets or Preds. Basically, anyone who gets either WC2 or 3rd in our division is in for a quick exit if you ask me, unless Jets lose a key piece. And the only team I see potentially beating Preds this year are the fully healthy Jets, if Preds manage to get to the Finals without major injuries they should win the Cup.

Hard to argue with any of this.

I am very curious to see how this team reacts to being in the playoffs - if we make it. We feel like a figurative wildcard as well as hopefully being a literal one. Varly has been stupid good lately, the top line is doing its thing, and who knows, maybe Bednar knows how to coach playoff hockey.

I think we’re a darkhorse in the west if we make WC1.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Avs playoff odds are up to 83.6% after yesterday’s games.

Having a 2 point cushion tie breakers over most teams will hopefully be enough.

As for tonight’s games, a Minnesota win is more beneficial to the Avs in terms of qualifiying for playoffs. Overall though, it’s a minor difference in terms of odds whether LA or Minnesota wins.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think CAL is done as far as we are concerned anyway. They are 6 pts back of us and we have one game in hand and we hold the tiebreaker so we don't have to worry about them anymore. So to make the PO we need to beat one of Dallas or Blues. We have one game in hand on Dallas and have the tiebreaker on them as well. Blues on the other hand scares me a lot more. If I'm not mistaken if they catch up to us they would have the tiebreaker unless they win a few in SO.

If LA wins tonight it needs to be in SO so we keep the tiebreaker against them.

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
That win against the Blues was huuuge. Its nice to be in a position where we just have to worry about the Avs winning and not having to catch any teams.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Flames are out. We could lose all our games and they'd need to go 3-5-1 to overtake us. How they are playing right now I doubt they do even that. Blues are the biggest threat of the teams below the cut-off point. But they might've lost Tank for a while. If that's the case, stick a fork in them. The three pacific teams will likely cannibalize each other. Basically, how I see it we can even drop the two games against Hawks and Vegas, but winning against Kings is a must. Tha game in LA will be a huge test for the team, but Nate and the top line in particular. He will go head to head with Anže every shift. If he comes on top during those matchups, we are golden.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Looking at the Kings schedule, the next two games against Wild and Jets are huge for them. They lose those and we beat the Hawks and they are quite a bit behind us.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It would have made a HUGE difference if Chicago didn't let the Blues win the game yesterday.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I want to play Vegas, but after last season and basically the last 10 years I'd kill for any playoff hockey, even if it's vs Nashville.

Plus I'd love to see how this team does against the Preds with a healthy lineup. Ideally in the WCF and not the 1st round, but after these last two games against them I'd be excited.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Looking at the Kings schedule, the next two games against Wild and Jets are huge for them. They lose those and we beat the Hawks and they are quite a bit behind us.
Man it would be so ideal if the Kings drop those games.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm all about the green filth tonight. I don't want to play WPG in round 1. Gimme Vegas.

Minnesota has 2 games left against LA, 2 games left against Dallas, 1 against SJ and one against ANA. Fact is if Minnesota starts sucking it means well for all those other teams and just creates an even bigger log jam down the line.

As weird as it sounds, I hope Minnesota plays amazing for the rest of the season. It keeps us out of a divisional playoff spot and it does harm against the teams we're up against for the Wild Card.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It helps if we just call them Minny when we have to root for them. The twin cities are cool and the people there were really nice n friendly every time I've visited. So as long as I focus on rooting for that, instead of for the filth, then I think I can get on board :thumbu:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It helps if we just call them Minny when we have to root for them. The twin cities are cool and the people there were really nice n friendly every time I've visited. So as long as I focus on rooting for that, instead of for the filth, then I think I can get on board :thumbu:

I'm all about the green filth tonight. I don't want to play WPG in round 1. Gimme Vegas.

Minnesota has 2 games left against LA, 2 games left against Dallas, 1 against SJ and one against ANA. Fact is if Minnesota starts sucking it means well for all those other teams and just creates an even bigger log jam down the line.

As weird as it sounds, I hope Minnesota plays amazing for the rest of the season. It keeps us out of a divisional playoff spot and it does harm against the teams we're up against for the Wild Card.

I think I'll just look away, and then check the standings the next day.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->