GDT: 2017-18 Other Games Around the League Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Pretty good night for us.

Sharks win, CGY, LAK, ANA (collectively our biggest competition for a playoff spot) lose. Pretty solid for a full night of puck

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sharks and Burke specifically have been awful in 1st round for years

There are a handful of players who would have been better draft picks than Coyle (Faulk, Stone, Toffoli, Klingberg, maybe Andersen?).
Hertl is one of the top five picks of the draft.
Mueller was a poor pick.
Goldobin isn't looking great, but he was exactly the type of picks all the fans want the Sharks to make.

I'm not happy with Meier or Norris, but judgement now would be premature.

Also, you never know. Everyone hated the Couture pick and loved the Petrecki pick. A few years after it, the Sharks would looking like the clear winners of the 2003 draft. Sturm ended up being a better player than the much-loved Zyuzin. The supposed worst draft in Sharks history resulted in a Vezina-winning goaltender. Players like Hannan, Marleau, Clowe, and Vlasic take years to hit their stride. Players like Brad Stuart and Marcel Goc reinvent themselves.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's an alternate reality somewhere where we drafted Debrincat but would you rather have Debrincat or Jones? Tough choice.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There's an alternate reality somewhere where we drafted Debrincat but would you rather have Debrincat or Jones? Tough choice.

So you trade for a goaltender only two times:

1) He is a franchise-caliber one
2) You have a competitive team that is ready to go, but there is a hole at the goaltending position and the guy you are acquiring is one you can win with.

At the time, I would have said the trade would work out if Jones turned into a franchise-caliber goaltender, since I didn't think the Sharks were competitive. Oddly enough, they went to the finals next year, but Jones is clearly not a superstar goaltender. However, no Cup, and a year after that and the team is mired in mediocrity; tough call to say it is worth it.
In any case, that first was a steep price for an above-average goaltender. Usually in those situations, especially anytime outside the trade deadline, those goaltenders come cheaply. Heck, I’d wager Reimer would have achieved a similar result considering Jones was a passenger for the first three series. Moreover, the Sharks have now committed to a future with Jones as the #1 goalie; that’s not solid foundation.

ON4 really loves bringing up Couture and Petrecki as a reminder of this forum’s hubris.

Plus Setoguchi, Bernier, Michalek, Kaspar…many pre-2007 examples. The Sharks haven’t had many first-rounders since then, but even still, people were fairly negative on Coyle and Hertl while being very positive on Goldobin. You go into the later rounds, and it is the same mixed picture.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'd actually put Hertl outside the Top-5 in 2012. Top-5 forwards though.

In no order: Forsberg, Trouba, Galchenyuk, Lindholm, Parayko are 5 already. Then players like Slavin, Rielly; Matt Murray but I don't think goalies should count.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Joe Thornton: 4
Joe Pavelski: 4
Brian Gibbons: 11
who the f*** is brian gibbons?!

latest

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know that the Ducks just snapped a four game losing streak, but the longer they're within striking distance, the more I'm convinced that they're winning the division. They have Derek Grant and Chris Wagner as their top two centers right now...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Beauty of a GWG for Marleau tonight against the Oilers.
More like a beauty of an assist hahahahahaha.

Kris Russell is terrible, what a bad signing by Chiarelli, on top of his 4 or 5 other terrible moves.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
More like a beauty of an assist hahahahahaha.

Kris Russell is terrible, what a bad signing by Chiarelli, on top of his 4 or 5 other terrible moves.
I think sometimes these signings happen simply because you cant do a trade and dont have a rookie waiting.

However in this case they traded davidson away who costs much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad