Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
believe lindbohm cleared, and vince dunn seems to be the young D benefitting from the bouwmeester injury moreso than him

Edmund-Petro
Gunnar-Parayko
Schmaltz-Bortuzzo
Prosser

Doubt any young D gets NHL minutes other than Schmaltz.

eog

Jul 4, 2017
los angeles
Must've missed it when HF went down. Surprised, seems like they were high on him. Not sure if Walman is still up but I'd play him over Dunn.

walman is still in camp and they seemed higher on him than dunn but looks as though that has changed over time. either way will be interesting to see who starts the season

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
By waiving players on ELCs, they are doing these young men a favour. First, they are saying you are not good enough to make the NHL (with our team) or likely there is no space for you (maybe because of your ability) to make the AHL. Even if the club is on the hook to pay the player $70,000 for an AHL contract, whether he plays or not, the club is giving the player more options.
Maybe he picked up by another team, or is telling the young man, maybe pro hockey is not going to be your vocation.

You're aware that A) waiving a player usually has nothing to do with their AHL abilities? And B) that there have been multiple players who have been waived at the NHL level who've gone on to have very successful NHL careers? And C) that there are pro careers outside of the NHL. I know of two local boys who couldn't crack the NHL after being drafted who went on to spend 10+ years earning a living as pro hockey players. One stayed in the AHL for the vast majority of his time, and the other went to Europe. Both did very well for themselves.

Should getting waived be a wakeup call? Absolutely. But depending on the team, what position you play, and how old you are... there's varying levels as to how concerned a player should or shouldn't be when it happens.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Must've missed it when HF went down. Surprised, seems like they were high on him. Not sure if Walman is still up but I'd play him over Dunn.
Why do you say this? He still has 1yr left of being waiver exempt. Schmaltz is a RHS and Dunn is a LHS. Blues wouldn't play either rookie on their offside. So neither is competing for the same spot. The Blues are extremely strong on the right with Parayko and Pietrangelo. They are weak down the left and could greatly benefit from an OFD. Dunn has gotten better every game. Its hard to make a case that he hasn't outplayed Walman, who hasn't looked good at all. Right now it looks like the open D spot is between Prosser and Dunn....and I guess Walman given he's still up

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Can I see a text based version of waivers today? Twitter is blocked at work.

Sure, here you go. I've got a busy couples days around here, but I'll start working at fixing up the main posts eventually here.

Sep 28, 2017|ANA|Carrick, Sam|C|
Sep 28, 2017|ANA|Liambas, Mike|RW|
Sep 28, 2017|ANA|Oleksy, Steve|
Sep 28, 2017|ANA|Sabourin, Scott|RW|
Sep 28, 2017|ANA|Tropp, Corey|RW|
Sep 28, 2017|CAR|Carrick, Trevor|
Sep 28, 2017|CAR|Chelios, Jake|
Sep 28, 2017|CAR|Smith, Jeremy|G|
Sep 28, 2017|EDM|Malone, Brad|C|
Sep 28, 2017|FLA|Sateri, Harri|G|
Sep 28, 2017|MTL|Terry, Chris|LW|
Sep 28, 2017|NYR|Puempel, Matt|LW|