Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd assume it's more likely just to return him to his AHL team for a playoff push.

Normally teams can't assign players to the AHL after the trade deadline if they were on the team at the deadline. However it looks like the Hawks made a paper move on Feb 26th to temporarily assign Berube to the AHL so he could be assigned back there later.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Normally teams can't assign players to the AHL after the trade deadline if they were on the team at the deadline. However it looks like the Hawks made a paper move on Feb 26th to temporarily assign Berube to the AHL so he could be assigned back there later.
I think they can still send them down, but that player won't be eligible for AHL playoffs, no?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think they can still send them down, but that player won't be eligible for AHL playoffs, no?

Nope. There are restrictions on Loaning players after the TDL.

CBA 13.12(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period, no Player may be Loaned, except that:

(i) a Player who has been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l), 13.12(m), or 13.12(n) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled;

(ii) a Player who is on the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, or who has been unfit for 24 calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, may be Loaned on a Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan (with the Player's consent) pursuant to Section 13.9 above for a period not to exceed the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games (which Loan is not subject to any extension), provided, however, if the Player is not on the Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception, he cannot be Loaned while he is on Injured Reserve; and

(iii) a Player may be Loaned (with the Player's consent) provided such Player (a) was on Recall and was determined to be disabled as of the Trade Deadline, (b) is determined to be fit to play prior to such Loan, and (c) was on the Active Roster for less than twenty-five percent (25%) of the period from the beginning of the Regular Season up to and including the date on which he was determined to be disabled.

Which breaks down to:
(i) Players recalled after the TDL can be returned back to the AHL.
(ii) Players on LTIR can go on a conditioning stint to the AHL.
(iii) Players who were disabled at the TDL can be loaned if they were on the Active Roster less then 25% of the season prior to the disability. Which essentially means players who were probably only on the team at the TDL by virtue of being injured.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Nope. There are restrictions on Loaning players after the TDL.

Which breaks down to:
(i) Players recalled after the TDL can be returned back to the AHL.
(ii) Players on LTIR can go on a conditioning stint to the AHL.
(iii) Players who were disabled at the TDL can be loaned if they were on the Active Roster less then 25% of the season prior to the disability. Which essentially means players who were probably only on the team at the TDL by virtue of being injured.
Ah! Perfect, thanks for clarifying

NHL EXPATS

May 9, 2018
www.nhlexpats.ca
I looked at all players who were waived during the 2017-2018 season and who are playing for final four (Conference Final) teams.

Malcolm Subban - Picked up by Vegas from Boston: riding the pine behind MAF. No playoff games played. 22 regular season games.
Gabriel Dumont - Picked up by Tampa: 7 regular season GP, no action in the playoffs
Ryan Carpenter - Picked up by Vegas from San Jose: like everyone else in Vegas, he collected points in the reg season. 13 playoff games with VGK and five points.
Chris DiDomenico - Picked up by Tampa from Ottawa: no action in the NHL once in sin city.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I looked at all players who were waived during the 2017-2018 season and who are playing for final four (Conference Final) teams.

Malcolm Subban - Picked up by Vegas from Boston: riding the pine behind MAF. No playoff games played. 22 regular season games.
Gabriel Dumont - Picked up by Tampa: 7 regular season GP, no action in the playoffs
Ryan Carpenter - Picked up by Vegas from San Jose: like everyone else in Vegas, he collected points in the reg season. 13 playoff games with VGK and five points.
Chris DiDomenico - Picked up by Tampa from Ottawa: no action in the NHL once in sin city.
DiDo went to Tampa but then back to OTT and was ultimately traded to CHI, hence why no playoff games

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

actually 3rd string for Malcolm Subban, Legace has been the Knights back up the last two games

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tierny, Hertl, Kovalchuk and Thornton. The d-man would be what ? A depth player or top 4 ? (most likely DeMelo)

Tough to say at this point. They have an RFA d-man in DeMelo that they played regularly during the season and the playoffs. I suppose it's whether or not they believe in Joakim Ryan as Martin's replacement. Their desire for Tavares looks to be the first thing on their plate and their ability to improve their blue line is secondary to that and depends on what happens there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->