Speculation: 2017-18 NHL Depth Charts

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Don't really agree with Toronto's depth chart. Matthews is definitely now a no. 1 centre. Also, Rosen will surely slot ahead of marincin/marchenko in the line-up.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Don't really agree with Toronto's depth chart. Matthews is definitely now a no. 1 centre.

Tough to say. Matthews only played about a minute more per game than Kadri/Bozak. And when you factor in Even-Strength ATOI that total shrinks a bit (Only 49 seconds more for Matthews over Kadri). Plus when it comes to deployment, Matthews is often played against other units, while Kadri is usually used against opponents top lines. So it's not that cut and dried.

Plus I'm largely going off of how the lines are listed on TV broadcasts, as well as what their beatwriters tweet out

Also, Rosen will surely slot ahead of marincin/marchenko in the line-up.

I explained this in the second post
In terms of ranks, I put players with NHL experience, particularly those who played in the NHL in 16-17, ahead of players with none, although I tend to make allowances for 1st round picks and other higher-profile prospects.

Until I see Rosen starting ahead of Marchenko or Marincin in the lineup, I'm going to stick with the lineups provided. I mean, there's a very real chance Rosen could start with the Leafs, but he could also very well play in the AHL to start this season as he's only played two full seasons in the SHL, so far.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I'm sorry if this sounds negative after you went you all that work, but these bear such little resemblance to how the 2018 lines will be constructed. I'm having a hard time seeing the value of the exercise.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I'm sorry if this sounds negative after you went you all that work, but these bear such little resemblance to how the 2018 lines will be constructed. I'm having a hard time seeing the value of the exercise.

well obviously its going to change with prospects coming up like hischier, patrick, lindblom, chabot, white, debrusk, barzal, etc. Hard to predict where they end up, line wise, so this is a great first step.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
For Buffalo:

Bailey is a RW
Nylander is a LW

Antipin is a RD

and if Reinhart is going to be called a RW (which is fine), Girgensons should be called a LW, not a C

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
For Buffalo:

Bailey is a RW
Nylander is a LW
Bailey played more LW and Nylander more RW over the last half a season+ in Rochester.

Antipin is a RD
Good to know, will update.

and if Reinhart is going to be called a RW (which is fine), Girgensons should be called a LW, not a C
Girgensons lined up more at Center than seemingly any other position, hence why I have him at C.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Some jersey numbers for the Flames need to be updated:

Spencer Foo wears #15
Mike Smith wears #41
Eddie Lack wears #31
Travis Hamonic wears #24
David Rittich wears #33

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

It's not meant to reflect lines. It's meant to show which positions a team is deep in versus which ones they are not. I, for one, have found it very useful in looking at what positions are other teams' real need.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
WESTERN CONFERENCE

wait, you have Matthews with Komarov and Kapenan? do you realize how many injries would have to be for that to be even a remote possibilty?

we are talking JVR, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Brown at the bare minimum and they would all have to be out at the same time

That is not going to happen

Last edited by a moderator:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
wait, you have Matthews with Komarov and Kapenan? do you realize how many injries would have to be for that to be even a remote possibilty?

we are talking JVR, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Brown at the bare minimum and they would all have to be out at the same time

That is not going to happen

These are not lines...

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
great info, thanks. for boston, o'gara is a lefty and bjork played RW at notre dame and seems most comfortable there. given the ton of LW depth boston has, he's probably ticketed for the right side.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Bailey played more LW and Nylander more RW over the last half a season+ in Rochester.

Girgensons lined up more at Center than seemingly any other position, hence why I have him at C.

Injuries dictated. Girgs would do face-offs then move to wing quite often as well.

dukie01

Sep 13, 2008
Durham
Are the D positions assigned purely on handedness? In other words, does it assume everyone is playing their natural side?

The amount of work that went into this is evident, and much appreciated!

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Are the D positions assigned purely on handedness? In other words, does it assume everyone is playing their natural side?

Unless I'm told otherwise, yes. :laugh: I'll be adjusting all these come training camp time when one gets a better idea of where teams see players playing.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
So Montreal's top two centers are guys who have been wingers at the NHL level? Bergevin said when asked if Drouin will play center that it is up to Julien. Has Julien said these guys will play center?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
:jets
Coach: Paul Maurice
Assistant Coaches: Charlie Huddy, Jamie Kompon, Todd Woodcroft, Wade Flaherty (Goalie)
GM: Kevin Cheveldayoff
Assistant GM: Craig Heisinger

Forwards
[table="head;width=700]LW|C|RW|
Nikolaj Ehlers (27, LW)|Mark Scheifele (55, C)|Patrik Laine (29, RW)
Mathieu Perreault (85, LW)|Bryan Little (18, C)|Blake Wheeler (26, RW)
Marko Dano (56, LW)|Adam Lowry (17, C)|Joel Armia (40, RW)
Shawn Matthias (16, LW)|Andrew Copp (09, LW)|Brandon Tanev (13, LW)
Michael Sgarbossa (--, LW)|Nic Petan (19, C)|
||
Kyle Connor (81, LW)|Jack Roslovic (52, C)|Chase De Leo (77, RW)
Brendan Lemieux (48, LW)|Jansen Harkins (58, C)|Buddy Robinson (--, RW)
|Michael Spacek (--, C)|J.C. Lipon (46, RW)
|Mason Appleton (--, C)|Jimmy Lodge (45, RW)
[/table]

Defence
[table="head;width=700]D|D|
Toby Enstrom (39, LD)|Dustin Byfuglien (33, RD)
Josh Morrissey (44, LD)|Jacob Trouba (08, RD)
Dmitry Kulikov (--, LD)|Tyler Myers (57, RD)
Ben Chiarot (07, LD)|
|
Julian Melchiori (71, LD)|Nelson Nogier (62, RD)
Logan Stanley (64, LD)|Tucker Poolman (--, RD)
Sami Niku (--, LD)|Jan Kostalek (53, RD)
[/table]

Goalies
[table="head;width=700]G|G|
Steve Mason (--, G)|Connor Hellebuyck (37, G)
Michael Hutchinson (34, G)
|
Eric Comrie (01, G)|Jamie Phillips (50, G)
[/table]

Jets Injuries/Players in Europe/CHL
[table="head;width=700]Name|Status
|

[/TABLE]

I think it makes a lot more sense to keep Tanev as a LW (where he drops to 6th behind Copp & Matthias) and to move Connor to 4th RW (as he plays RW regularly anyway).

At 4C, I might be more inclined to put a natural C like Petan or Roslovik over Copp (a LWer)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->