Pants.
The hell are we even left with?

Zees / Keys / Stewies
Detective Hockey Bridgewater / Staal / Kunin
Winnik / Cullen / JEEz

?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Coyle officially on LTIR. I suspect O'Reilly, Ferraro and either Cannon or Mitchell will be up shortly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Depends on what it is. Put a birdcage on and he can play before it is fully healed is an option. The last injury I recall like that was Kaleta a few years ago, he missed a few games, but was back and playing with a birdcage.

It's not just the cap the Wild are dealing with to be short handed it's the 23 man roster. Parise, Granny, Foligno, Nino, and Coyle would be 5 roster players not playing, but not on IR. That leaves a 18 spots on the 23 man roster, two of those are goalies so 16 skaters slots possible.
Not the 23 man roster, but the 20 man game day active roster. We have had only 22 on the roster with two players injured, meaning by dressing 7 defense, 11 forwards and two goaltenders, we had a full 20 man roster on game day. You would have to have one player short of 20 for an entire game before you can use a player salary of $750k exception on a call up (Kunin could not be that call up since his salary is above $750k).

All this may be moot now though if the Coyle news is true... his being on ltir would clear more than enough space for all the call ups needed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not the 23 man roster, but the 20 man game day active roster. We have had only 22 on the roster with two players injured, meaning by dressing 7 defense, 11 forwards and two goaltenders, we had a full 20 man roster on game day. You would have to have one player short of 20 for an entire game before you can use a player salary of $750k exception on a call up (Kunin could not be that call up since his salary is above $750k).

All this may be moot now though if the Coyle news is true... his being on ltir would clear more than enough space for all the call ups needed.

23 man roster is max: 20 dressed, 3 pressbox, and players on IR don't count. Wild just can't afford the extra pressbox guy. There are a couple ways to get a 24th man, a league exemption and PTO's (usually used for an emergency backup goalie while on the road). Wild are looking at 5 hurt players, so their options are:
1. Put no one on IR and dress 17 or 18 (cap reasons).
2. Put 1 on IR (leaves 4 hurt guys not on IR) and dress 19. Might be able to get a league exemption for a 20th player.
3. Put 2 on IR and dress 20.

If any one of the injured guys goes on IR, the cap really isn't an issue, and the Wild can run a 23 man roster. The 20 dressed players is the issue. If a Parise or Granny dresses for the game then it resets their IR date to the day of the game (no backdating it).

Edit* Just saw Coyle and Nino are going on IR, so everything I said is a rather moot point.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
what are the line now ? does parise play next one ? they only have 19 healthy player on roster

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
23 man roster is max: 20 dressed, 3 pressbox, and players on IR don't count. Wild just can't afford the extra pressbox guy. There are a couple ways to get a 24th man, a league exemption and PTO's (usually used for an emergency backup goalie while on the road). Wild are looking at 5 hurt players, so their options are:
1. Put no one on IR and dress 17 or 18 (cap reasons).
2. Put 1 on IR (leaves 4 hurt guys not on IR) and dress 19. Might be able to get a league exemption for a 20th player.
3. Put 2 on IR and dress 20.

If any one of the injured guys goes on IR, the cap really isn't an issue, and the Wild can run a 23 man roster. The 20 dressed players is the issue. If a Parise or Granny dresses for the game then it resets their IR date to the day of the game (no backdating it).

Edit* Just saw Coyle and Nino are going on IR, so everything I said is a rather moot point.
I understand the 23 man roster is the max, I was just pointing out how to get the $750k player salary call up exception... which is also moot now. The exception only comes into play when you play a full game short 1 active roster player... ie only 19 players dressed for a game instead of 20 because you have nobody else who can dress.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, going over the potential rosters in my head, I keep coming back to the same thought. I hope BB knows how to coach a Lamiare or Yeo trap game. :help:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well, going over the potential rosters in my head, I keep coming back to the same thought. I hope BB knows how to coach a Lamiare or Yeo trap game. :help:
I threw out my line ideas in the Kunin thread... looks... interesting to say the least. Still wonder who the "Call up" players are though...

Zucker - Koivu - Ek/Kunin
Ennis - Staal - Ek/Stewart/Kunin
Winnik - Cullen/Ek - Stewart/Kunin/Ek/Call up
Call up - Cullen/Call up - Call up

I think I'd prefer Ek on the Koivu line due to experience, the Koivu line gets the toughest task. I'd think Kunin would be sheltered a bit wherever he plays... be it on the Staal or the Cullen 3rd line.

If Kunin plays on the Koivu line though, I think Ek stays on the 3rd line as either Center or Wing, Stewart will be on the Staal line.

We won't need 5 more call ups in the lineup, we had 11 of 12 forwards when 3 went down... Kunin replaces one of the 3, so we need 3 more forwards for 4 complete lines.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I threw out my line ideas in the Kunin thread... looks... interesting to say the least. Still wonder who the "Call up" players are though...

I just put them in another thread, at least according to CapFriendly transactions page. Bertschy, Ferraro, and Mitchell.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Once Nino comes back, I want to see;

Zucker- Koivu- Granlund
Parise- Staal- Nino
Ek- Coyle- Winnik/Ennis
Foligno- Cullen- Stewart

If Parise doesn't get his game back then swap him and Coyle, with Ek playing C. Would actually prefer Mitchell over a few of the bottom sixers such as Foligno, Ennis, and Stewart. Kunin isn't producing down in Iowa, so he is unlikely to be an option.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
After seeing more of Ennis, I think he and Stewart should be alternated on the 4th line. I like Winnik a bit better than I do Foligno, and want him to be on the 3rd line. Together with Coyle and Ek, they will at least have a line that can crash a bit. Still want Coyle up with Nino and Staal, but I understand if they think that Ek isn't ready to play a steady 3C yet.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I would like to see...

Zucker- Koivu- Granlund
Parise- Staal- Nino
Ek- Coyle- Ennis
Foligno- Cullen- Winnik
Stewart

Or

Zucker- Koivu- Granlund
Nino- Staal- Coyle
Parise- Ek- Winnik/Foligno
Foligno/Winnik- Cullen- Ennis
Stewart

Couple of things. I'm fine in the first scenario with Ennis on the wing on the third line because it keeps the size spread out and I seem to remember Ennis standing out (in a somewhat goodish way) when on a line with Coyle. The second scenario with Winnik and Foligno doesn't really matter to me, whichever guy is playing better at the time. Hopefully we are winning most of the games and Cullen can slide up to wing at the end of the game anyway. Stewart I'm pretty much done with. Yeah, he's money in the shootout but if we would have lost that game last night everyone would have been talking about the absolutely idiotic penalty he took. Would rather call up some ahl forwards who have been playing well if the likes of Ennis, Winnik, or Foligno earn a benching.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I want
Nino/Staal/Granny
Parise/Koivu/Zucker
Foligno/JEE/Coyle
Winnik/Cullen/Ennis
Stewie

Ennis and Foligno could be switched, but I'd prefer to have a decent stick handler on the 4th line. Move Cullen up late in the game for Foligno.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I want
Nino/Staal/Granny
Parise/Koivu/Zucker
Foligno/JEE/Coyle
Winnik/Cullen/Ennis
Stewie

Ennis and Foligno could be switched, but I'd prefer to have a decent stick handler on the 4th line. Move Cullen up late in the game for Foligno.

I'd keep Koivu Granlund Zucker together.

Parise Koivu Nino could work well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd keep Koivu Granlund Zucker together.

Parise Koivu Nino could work well.

I'd much rather have the team's best playmaker with the 2 best finishers on the team. Stack a line and see if they can put up some numbers on the scoreboard.

If Koivu wasn't a black hole in the o-zone 5v5 I'd be fine with Zucker/Koivu/Granny. When Foligno (barely 4th line grinder, according to some) has more even strength assists and higher p/60, g/60, a/60 than a top-6 center there is a problem.

The top-3 lines have had black holes most of the year:
-Staal gets stuck with at least one bottom-6 guy every game (Ennis, Foligno, Stewie, Winnik), Parise (so far) falls into the category too.
-Koivu drags his line's scoring down
-JEE on the 3rd line can't buy a point

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nino-Staal-Parise
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Foligno-JEE-Coyle
Winnik-Cullen-Ennis/Stewart

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Olofsson-Prosser

Please?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nino- Staal- Coyle
Zucker-Koivu-MiG
Winnik- Ek- Parise(earn a spot in the top 6)
Foligno(trade him)-Cullen(trade him)-Ennis/Stewart/Mitchell

Keep d the same as it is. I think, finally, Bumba and Brodin are starting to play better.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

So...

Nino - Staal - Ennis
Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Parise - Eriksson-Ek - Coyle
Foligno - Cullen - Stewart/Winnik

Apparently? I did think Ennis did well early in the CBJ game, though I didn't notice him much after that. I don't love him in the top-6, but I guess he has to play somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad