Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Not our Blues, but did anyone else see Backes is out a month due to some bowel tract disease of some sort. Man I loved me some David Backes but that contract hasn’t looked good since the day they signed him to it. I’m glad we passed.

I heard it was heartworms. Woof.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Can we dispense with the deliberate mangling of Sanford's name, already? It's gone on way too long, isn't funny anymore, and isn't fair to the guy to have his name the butt of jokes for several months now. Just sayin'.

You mean Big Dummy?

Reactions: Lancer

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
To think it was just that one extra year that kept the Blues from resigning Backes. It would probably still be a bad deal. I appreciate everything he did as a Blue, but yeah. It was best to part ways.

There is no way of knowing that he would have regressed so much or had gotten sick if he stayed with the Blues.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Its still pretty funny to me. What makes Sanford the butt of the joke, and not the author of the mangled tweet at the trade deadline, if anyone is? Its just an inside joke on the forum, that has taken on an entertaining life of its own. Its no different than calling Tarasenko 'Frank'.

I guess I didn't get the joke well enough to think it's worth being hackneyed. Never liked the Frank "slurs" either. Established nicknames are fine but unless I'm on familiar terms with someone I don't feel it's cool to be derogatory in jest ad nauseam. Just how John-boy and me were brought up.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
I don't use twitter so I feel a bit out of the loop at times. Has there been any sort of update on Steen and JBo recently?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
What? Pretty much everyone predicted he would regress. That's why we didn't sign him.

Not the sick part and probably not so soon, but there were plenty of people who saw a regression around the corner.

Staying in St. Louis is entirely another path. Think of it as an algorithm.

It's like a recently-traded player gets injured and the fanbase of his former team being relieved that they did not keep that player because he just got injured.

It's bad logic.

Maybe Backes hates Boston and his motivation is lost. Maybe he ate some wicked bad chowda and his hockey brain got poisoned.

Maybe if Backes stayed in St. Louis he would have continued his bullish ways in a place where he feels comfortable and has a home and has roots.

Maybe he would have regressed, like so many supposedly predicted.

And if he scored 30 goals last season, we would have been whining that (or maybe lauding) the Backes-regression naysayers were right.

Backes was only 31 years old when he signed with Boston. How does that indicate an upcoming regression? His last season with the Blues was arguably his most consistent performance ever with the team. How does that indicate an upcoming regression?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think the big thing with Backes was more the wear and tear resulting from his style, not necessarily his age. Yeah most guys at age 31 still have at least two or three good years left, but most guys don’t play that bruising power forward style. Guys like Backes break down sooner and when the decline starts it usually hits really fast and hard. Heck, I think we even started seeing signs of the decline his last year here. He was still an effective player for us, but he wasn’t quite the same as we were used to. Backes was one of my all-time favorite Blues and I was sad to see him go, but I’m also certainly glad we aren’t paying him 6 million a year for the next four years.

Reactions: TheDizee

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
The Rangers' commentator mentioned that Bouwmeester was skating with the team on the road trip and could be back soon. Has anyone else heard anything?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The Rangers' commentator mentioned that Bouwmeester was skating with the team on the road trip and could be back soon. Has anyone else heard anything?
I thought I read that Steen made the trip with the Blues but Bouwmeester didn't, which tells me Steen is close and Bouwmeester is still out for a bit longer.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
sounds like fake news from them

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

I thought I read that Steen made the trip with the Blues but Bouwmeester didn't, which tells me Steen is close and Bouwmeester is still out for a bit longer.

I think they're both due back about the same time. Bouwmeester suffered a fracture in practice on 9/17. Steen was injured in the first pre-season game against the Stars on 9/19. Assuming both have ~ 4 week recoveries, I'd think they'd both be close to returning for the 10/18 home game against the Hawks...though with Steen being a hand, and Bouwmeester being an ankle, Steen could beat him back by a few days I'd guess.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Steen was potentially expected to come for the Florida swing to practice with the guys without full participation. I'd assume he will be back for Chicago on Wednesday.

Bouwmeester being an ankle and unable to condition is going to be a slower return. He is probably going to need a week of skating/practice before he gets slotted back in to the lineup. So I reasonably expect him to return after next weekend.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, Steen’s injury is upper body (thumb) whereas Bouw’s is lower body so even if the recovery time is exactly the same, Steen has been able to skate and keep up his conditioning whereas Bouw has not. So I agree with others that Steen is quite a bit more likely to return sooner.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
After 2 ACL injuries to Bradford, this is the latest:

Glazer on Fox pregame show: “Sam Bradford’s knee is much worse than people know.” Also said Bradford's knee situation could be career-ending

I just hope this doesn't happen to Fabbri.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
After 2 ACL injuries to Bradford, this is the latest:

Glazer on Fox pregame show: “Sam Bradford’s knee is much worse than people know.” Also said Bradford's knee situation could be career-ending

I just hope this doesn't happen to Fabbri.
I thought you were talking about Zach Sanford and spent way too long trying to figure out when he injured his ACL.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sweet! Hopefully he’s able to play Wed vs the Hawks. That might be pushing it but regardless, sounds like he’s very close.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sweet! Hopefully he’s able to play Wed vs the Hawks. That might be pushing it but regardless, sounds like he’s very close.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is in the lineup Wednesday. Steen's a gamer. You can argue that he is injury prone, but he is always more than willing to play through injuries. He's been able to skate and keep his conditioning up and he'll have 2 real practices and a morning skate to get his timing back.

We've lost 2 straight, the offense is struggling and we're playing the Hawks. No chance he lets the staff keep him out of this one.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
There is no doubt in my mind that he is in the lineup Wednesday. Steen's a gamer. You can argue that he is injury prone, but he is always more than willing to play through injuries. He's been able to skate and keep his conditioning up and he'll have 2 real practices and a morning skate to get his timing back.

We've lost 2 straight, the offense is struggling and we're playing the Hawks. No chance he lets the staff keep him out of this one.

I would tend to agree. And I hope he does come back Wed night! They could really use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad