Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yup. Dont listen to the guy who has dedicated his life to the topic, listen to your gut. Captain Hindsight is always right, too bad he is never around when he is needed. This whole you can argue with doctors and scientist bull**** is frustrating. It inhibits any sort of meaningful conversation. Not necessarily here, but as a whole philosophy.

I know the Dr personally who does ACL's for many top area athletes (he did my daughters too and shes a D1 soccer player) and theres no way he would clear anybody at 7 months for contact. 0 percent chance. He always says 10 months is the critical time period. Statistics go down greatly for re-tearing at 10 months.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

AwesomeSince86

Apr 21, 2015
As someone who recently rehabbed from ACL (and microfracture) surgery, I was concerned that Fabbri was skating at 7 months. But a lot of that depends on how aggressive he was skating. As a soccer player, I was able to run on it fairly early during the rehab process but cutting and turning was off the table until late in the rehab process. I would have much rather seen Fabbri not returning to full practice until 9 months at a minimum.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anecdotal evidence is pointless. I returned to college lacrosse at 6 months with no issues. No doctor is going to clear a player before they are ready and before the knee is structurally recovered. The risk of re-injury is always there, that's just the inherent risk with surgery.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Have there been any updates on Steen or Bouwmeester?

Nothing official but the original timeline the Blues released on both indicated they wouldn’t be re-evaluated for a few more days yet.

There’s been plenty of reports of Steen skating and stickhandling though. I would guess his thumb fracture was rather minor, probably just a hairline fracture. I haven’t heard about Bouw though. Not sure what his injury was but I haven’t heard of him skating so maybe it was more lower body, which would prevent him from skating.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Nothing official but the original timeline the Blues released on both indicated they wouldn’t be re-evaluated for a few more days yet.

There’s been plenty of reports of Steen skating and stickhandling though. I would guess his thumb fracture was rather minor, probably just a hairline fracture. I haven’t heard about Bouw though. Not sure what his injury was but I haven’t heard of him skating so maybe it was more lower body, which would prevent him from skating.

I believe Bouwmeester fractured his -Edit- ankle-so I’d imagine his may take a little while longer to get back up to speed.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It's amazing. One preseason and now our forward depth is ABYSMAL. I don't know that we are a playoff team at this point.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It's amazing. One preseason and now our forward depth is ABYSMAL. I don't know that we are a playoff team at this point.

With this squad absolutely not.

Add Steen, Jbo and Berglund and we're fighting last spot. I think we're bubble team now.

Code:
Sobotka - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Jaskin
Pääjärvi - Sundqvist - Thompson
Upshall - Brodziak - Thorburn

E: Barbashev, Megan

Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

Extra: Prosser

Reactions: The Note

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
The difference between winning the division and missing the playoffs isn't Robby Fabbri.

This team will finish second or third in the division.

We're not the only team that will have injuries.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
It's not like losing Fabbri was a season killer last season. So I guess that means the real differences in the Blues being in or out of the playoffs are losing Jori Lehtera and Ryan Reaves.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
It’s the ripple effect of losing Fabbri. It forces someone else to play in the top 6 who wouldn’t otherwise be there. And the Blues were banking on him being healthy and lost him right before the season. Losing someone with his speed and skill is a loss no way around it. If they were playing the whole season with the lineup they’re rolling out there tomorrow, they’d miss and I have little doubt about that. But with Steen and Bouwmeester back, things don’t look as dire.

Mar 6, 2012
It's not like losing Fabbri was a season killer last season. So I guess that means the real differences in the Blues being in or out of the playoffs are losing Jori Lehtera and Ryan Reaves.

Don't forget Perron.

But really, it's all about Fabbri. His loss is MASSIVE. Honestly, it practically killed all enthusiasm I have about the upcoming season. It's just flat out depressing.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Or maybe, just maybe it's worrisome because the only reason there was such a turnaround is because we went from having the worst to the best goaltending in the league and Allen carried us through that final stretch. Now, Allen has cooled off and we're missing Steen who's a very good player, on a team that already lacks top six talent and Berglund who's critical for our already inept center core, so yes there is a reason to worry.

I never believed us to be the best in the division and I do still think we're playoff bound. However, why some might be very anxious about this situation isn't completely unreasonable.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Now, Allen has cooled off
I must have missed his stats so far this season, mind linking me to them?

Jesus Christ I forgot how much the persistent pessimism of Blues fans annoys me. We lost Fabbri. Steen'll be back soon. We knew about Berglund. All it takes is one of our plethora of young talents to step up and fill the void. Or maybe Sobotka is more of a top 6 guy now. Or maybe Stastny has a good year finally. Maybe Schenn fits in perfectly between Schwartz and Tarasenko.

But nah, obviously we're not even a playoff team right now. :rolleyes:

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park

Jesus Christ I forgot how much the persistent pessimism of Blues fans annoys me. We lost Fabbri. Steen'll be back soon. We knew about Berglund. All it takes is one of our plethora of young talents to step up and fill the void. Or maybe Sobotka is more of a top 6 guy now. Or maybe Stastny has a good year finally. Maybe Schenn fits in perfectly between Schwartz and Tarasenko.

Allen has looked like shit; pretend the preseason games haven't happened all you want.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

Or maybe, just maybe it's worrisome because the only reason there was such a turnaround is because we went from having the worst to the best goaltending in the league and Allen carried us through that final stretch. Now, Allen has cooled off and we're missing Steen who's a very good player, on a team that already lacks top six talent and Berglund who's critical for our already inept center core, so yes there is a reason to worry.

I never believed us to be the best in the division and I do still think we're playoff bound. However, why some might be very anxious about this situation isn't completely unreasonable.

Did you read the entire post?
Also, Allen has only been one of the worst goalies in the preseason. It clearly means something, the organizations 2nd best center will be scratched because of it apparently.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Bingo! Nail on the head. I almost forgot the level of mood swings this board goes through. I can't get over the fact that we haven't even played a game yet and people are acting like Planet Nibiru is about to enter earth's atmosphere. Preseason means nothing. I don't know how we can make any predictions at all given the level of injuries we've had so far. These guys have hardly played on the same team, much less the same line, so far. There's no chemistry, no real set lines, and no way to know how this is going to pan out. We will be fine as long as we can split .500 until we get Steen back. Him coming back alone will make the lines much more manageable. Let's take a breath and wait to see what happens. Besides, if preseason games are SO reliable, we should ably handle Pittsburgh tomorrow since we did in the preseason.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Preseason stats don't mean anything. Most of the time, the team playing in front of you is full of guys that won't be on the team.
according to them though our season is doomed because allen didnt get 40 save shutouts in his preseason games.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'll come back in this thread after one month of played. Blues will be central div. 2nd last or dead last spot. If I'm wrong you guys can rip me half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->