2017-18 Champions Hockey League

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota
I think it might be a little bit hypocritical in the sense that I'm not convinced the SHL teams are ultimately willing to enable the CHL or other federations to give long domestic suspensions.

You are right. Brynäs seems to be arguing that if the roles were reversed SHL would suspend the player separate from any actions from the CHL. So they dont seem to be arguing that the CHL should have stronger disciplinary powers, but simply that the German hockey federation in general, and Mannheim in particular, should be taking a harder stance. I dont know if I would call that position hypocritical, but it sure as hell requires some mental gymnastics.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBeast

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
Anyway, to answer your question, I think SHL-teams would be fairly understanding if the CHL acknowledged that the entire system around suspensions needed to be overlooked - including some agreement with the international federations of suspensions also applying to domestic competition if a team was eliminated. At least as long as the CHL is considered a secondary competition. The outrage is primarily about a lack of disciplinary accountability, with added overtones of a more general displeasure of the entire competition.

I'd definitely think that would be a good plan, especially in extreme cases where if it wasn't for the fact it's such a small tournament (in number of games) you'd get a longer ban.

This of course presumes the CHL only gave the short ban because of the short nature of the tournament. Not because they doubt the severity of the hit.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Barys Astana's farm team Nomad swept its way to Continental Cup final tournament that is played 12-14th January. If they manage to win the Continental Cup title, they will earn a ticket to next year's CHL which means we could see some KHL players in CHL next autumn.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Quarter-final games start today. Trinec vs Brynas 2-1 in third period(45 minutes) and Jyvaskyla vs Kometa Brno 1-2 after first so far. Later Liberec vs Lions and Bern vs Vaxjo.

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Trinec vs Brynas end 3-1. Jyvaskyla vs Brno 2-3 after second. Jan Suss(18 year old from Brno) score a hattrick and I guess he bring youself a chance in Czech league, where he hasn't played yet.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
So let me get this straight. Shl suspensions carry over to CHL games while CHL suspensions only apply to CHL? What?

Reactions: torero

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Trinec vs Brynas end 3-1. Jyvaskyla vs Brno 2-3 after second. Jan Suss(18 year old from Brno) score a hattrick and I guess he bring youself a chance in Czech league, where he hasn't played yet.

Has Suss been on any North American teams' drafting radar? Lucky game, or is he legitimately a top-performer? Good for him regardless.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Has Suss been on any North American teams' drafting radar? Lucky game, or is he legitimately a top-performer? Good for him regardless.
More the lucky game, he was 2017 draft eligible. But maybe he can do something, if he build on this.

The game end 3-3. In other ZCS Lions beat Liberec 1-0 and Bern Vaxjo 3-2.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
More the lucky game, he was 2017 draft eligible. But maybe he can do something, if he build on this.

Bern 3-2 Vaxjo

Bern were leading 2-0 and they started the 3rd perior sleeping. and in a couple of minutes 2-2.
Bern is my team ... sometimes i hate them. ;-(
(like my wife :laugh:)

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Bern 3-2 Vaxjo

Bern were leading 2-0 and they started the 3rd perior sleeping. and in a couple of minutes 2-2.
Bern is my team ... sometimes i hate them. ;-(
(like my wife :laugh:)
They complicate it for themselves, that's for sure. They will have hard job in Sweden. All games end up close, so next week can be interesting.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich

Will be interesting to see how the ZSC vs Liberec game develops, when both Nilsson and Petterson are not able to play for Zürich.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
They complicate it for themselves, that's for sure. They will have hard job in Sweden. All games end up close, so next week can be interesting.

They definitely complicated their life. 2-0 entering the 3rd with a 2 min PP. And they went asleep thinking they don't care if they score during this PP that Vaxjo defended pretty well. So they entered a sleep mode .. and it doesn't forgive in hockey.

Return games will be tense. For sure.Vaxjo is the SHL leader and with some nice advance. (like Bern in fact ... except that Bern just lost 3 games in a row ... in fact like they almost lost this one ... i hate them lately !!!)

++

For Zurich, they have had a very average year. We will see what comes out. I must say that Liberec wasn't impressive. (it is impressive that 3 Czech teams are in QF ! for sure) . The Czech teams have looked terrific so far. But on this opportunity ... i felt they were lucky not to end up with a higher deficit. (i must say that i was zapping from the Bern game to the Zurich game so i didn't see everything).

++

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Will Welch play in the return game? Rahimis suspension doesnt even make any sense. Like, what does SHL have to do with CHL? Växjö missing 3 of their best defensemen is not sustainable and was definitely noticeable in BP where Bern had a free way with the goalie. Feel like växjö has been very unlucky this whole tournament with the lineup. Either they're missing a bunch of FWs or defensemen in every game. Also, I like how they look like they dont give a crap when they score. I mean, cheer a little jeez lol....

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Will Welch play in the return game? Rahimis suspension doesnt even make any sense. Like, what does SHL have to do with CHL? Växjö missing 3 of their best defensemen is not sustainable and was definitely noticeable in BP where Bern had a free way with the goalie. Feel like växjö has been very unlucky this whole tournament with the lineup. Either they're missing a bunch of FWs or defensemen in every game. Also, I like how they look like they dont give a crap when they score. I mean, cheer a little jeez lol....

I noticed this exact same thing about the celebration than you. Sometimes, it seems they don't give a sh*t in CHL !! in the league, after the 4th goal advantage or like they are at minus 4 at 2 minutes before the end of the game ... a goal that changes nothing ... you see a clear low in hapiness for having scored it.
But in CHL,their hapiness is on hold or strangled !! Their is definitely something there.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I noticed this exact same thing about the celebration than you. Sometimes, it seems they don't give a sh*t in CHL !! in the league, after the 4th goal advantage or like they are at minus 4 at 2 minutes before the end of the game ... a goal that changes nothing ... you see a clear low in hapiness for having scored it.
But in CHL,their hapiness is on hold or strangled !! Their is definitely something there.
I agree. I remeber Liberec vs Frolunda game. Bulir score a GWG in OT and just lift his stick, nothing more. Not something you will see in home league. I guess it need time to build rivarly between teams.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
There are teams in CZ that really care about CHL. Trinec beat HV71, Malmo and now is 3:1 against Brynas. Former NHLer Vaclav Varada is a head coach. Having to add I realy like this presentation

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
So, if nothing changes in Zurich we have a team from Finland, Switzerland, Sweden and Czech in the semis. Can't be a bad thing for the tournaments future.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Liberec beat Zurich after shootout. The QF is complete, Trinec vs Jyvaskyla and Liberec vs Vaxjo will be SF games. Very good result for Czech teams. Shame Kometa didn't make it too, but with they roster it was just matter of time.

Reactions: Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
how was the atmosphere in the crowds in todays matches? Any attendance figures?
Kometa vs Jyvaskyla 4,116, Vaxjo vs Bern 1,275, Brynas vs Trinec 1, 386 and Zurich vs Liberec 3,412 according to official CHL page. Kometa 4000 from 7000 is not bad, Sweden at the other side is bad.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
how was the atmosphere in the crowds in todays matches? Any attendance figures?
I would say very bad

3,412 in Zurich (average in Swiss league 8784)
1,275 in Vaxjo (in SHL 4608)
1,386 in Gävle (in SHL 5156)
4,116 in Brno (in Czech league 7426)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad