2017-18 Champions Hockey League

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The reactions could have been even heavier but I'd say 95% of the people who watch SHL couldn't care less about CHL. Even free tickets can't get people to watch the games.
Curious what will be an attendance in Sweden next season. I do not believe Swedish teams to quit from competition at all.

People here say that give the CHL a time, they will be good, they will develop, they will bring fans to arena ... just give them time. What is a reality?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There could be something about the hit, published a few hours ago. Unfortuantelly, paid article.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
What a terrible hit.

Kometa Brno has beaten a top Swiss team 9-5 on aggregate, while playing without its starting goalie (starting with a 2018 draft eligible No. 3 or 4 in the first leg actually), without its Top 6 forwards and without most of its regular defencemen in both games. Seven players were 20 years old or younger, including three 17 year olds. Czech league must not be that bad after all.

Zoug also missed some of its key players. But their is no question, Czech teams have been good.
I watched like 10 minutes of this game and Zug was absolutely horrible to see.

In fact Swiss teams were in general very disapointing. Bern played Redu Bull Munich. They were awfull all the 2 games and woke up in the last period, catching up a 2 pts agregate deficit to turn it into a 2 point aggregate advantage.

I honestly feel ashamed how the Swiss teams played.

The Czech teams have been good. Could be the undervalued league in Europe ? And it is not the first time. They allways were serious match.

I like this CHL ... !

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The reactions could have been even heavier but I'd say 95% of the people who watch SHL couldn't care less about CHL. Even free tickets can't get people to watch the games.

This year, the Swiss pay a bit more attention. But it is still disaapointing.
The consequences are that your teams don't line up all the roster.
We have the opportunity to have a cool Euro Championship ... which is honestly cool.
And we make sh*t out of it.

i found fantastic that the brits played such a hockey ! The Czechs are impressive. Any German team is a strong match.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Because the clubs want a proper European club competition and chance for more revenue.
The question is if the current "European club competition" is what they voted for in Barcelona.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
What is certain that Manheim and CHL experiencimg some true swedish anger on social media:)

I've nerver experienced such a channled unison hate in Swedish hockey community and media. Everyone is on the same side. Kinda amazing.

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota
I've nerver experienced such a channled unison hate in Swedish hockey. Everyone is on the same side. Kinda amazing.

In addition to it being a disgusting hit, I think the Swedish anger stems out of a structural frustration with the CHL in general. The notion that these international hockey players are banned for just a few games in a tournament that nobody cares about, and that the players/coach might even not play in speaks more about the CHLs flaws than the dirtiness of the hit.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I've nerver experienced such a channled unison hate in Swedish hockey community and media. Everyone is on the same side. Kinda amazing.
I didnt know such a voice is there. Shame it will go to swedish teams leaving this league, but its good to hear that. If it all ends up I hope we make some tourneys where we face you once a while. Adler brought DEL reputation back to 1995 monkey level. Their choice,they probably still belongs there.

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
Until this incident CHL had a pretty good season in Sweden. The CHL haters have been fewer, more fans have expressed an appreciation of CHL, and the attendances have also increased a little. There have been a few complaints of the type: "the team didn't give 100%", but the teams get the same kind of complaints for some SHL games as well.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Until this incident CHL had a pretty good season in Sweden. The CHL haters have been fewer, more fans have expressed an appreciation of CHL, and the attendances have also increased a little. There have been a few instances of "the team didn't give 100%", but the teams get this for some SHL games as well.

This strong voice must be heared somewhere even if it causes schwedish teams leave this tourney. Its sometimes hard to do anything with it when teams itself doing what they do. German teams did the same through entire 90s in euro tourneys. Thats for me the reason I still dont follow them. This year is first time they are somehow succesfull and they end up with same reputation. They probably dont know what people think about them and keep doing what they do not to change peoples opinion. I still dont know why should I go to watch them.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Adler brought DEL reputation back to 1995 monkey level. Their choice,they probably still belongs there.

In Mannheim, the incident is being downplayed.
They seek excuses like "Larkin didn't see Paille" or "Maybe he was provoked", etc.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Larkin is a disgrace, but it does remind me of the glorious bush league days of the old European Hockey League. Was watching Frankfurt Lions play back then, and although they weren't as bad as the notorious Manchester Storm there indeed were some memorable incidents...

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
Just out of interest, what would everyone on here give Larkin for his hit? Bearing in mind the CHL can only ban him for CHL games, he has effectively been banned for 2/3rds of the group phase. I don't think you can realistically give him more than 6 games.

For what it's worth, it's a ridiculous hit. I love North American style, really physical hockey, but when I watched the replay first time I didn't even see it! That's how far from the play it was. I thought originally someone was complaining about the hit along the boards until I noticed someone laid out on the ice and re-watched it.

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Brynäs statement.

A statement from CEO Johan Stark In regards of all the writings and feelings flowing after the CHL game between Brynäs IF and Adler Mannheim, we would like to clarify a few points from Brynäs IF.

We believe that the consequences given from the CHL, for the players involved and for the coach involved, do not at all reflect the seriousness of the performed actions in relation to the consequences that the actions resulted in, and could have resulted in, for Brynäs IF's players.

We are not content with the punishment CHL distributed. Currently we are waiting to see how the German Ice Hockey Federation will act upon this.

We also react upon the fact that the CHL has different consequences for different teams and players depending on which Country Federation they belong to. This is not acceptable.

We will continue our dialog with the management of the CHL and also the SHL. Based on these conversations we will decide what actions Brynäs IF will take in regards of a continued participation in the CHL as well as other possible civil actions.

Johan Stark, CEO Brynäs IF

Bold - very serious words. More serious than Mounfrield CEO interview in CZ media.. It confirms my previous statement - not all clubs are on the same boat, not all clubs are content with CHL actions .... they just have not spoken to media before.

Daniel Paille statement.

I am disappointed in the CHL Board's decision

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Larkin is a disgrace, but it does remind me of the glorious bush league days of the old European Hockey League. Was watching Frankfurt Lions play back then, and although they weren't as bad as the notorious Manchester Storm there indeed were some memorable incidents...
Exactly this. Still furious when I hear about that Storm team. You were never sure how many injured players you bring back from that matches.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
In Mannheim, the incident is being downplayed.
They seek excuses like "Larkin didn't see Paille" or "Maybe he was provoked", etc.
Well both are nonsense imo.If he didnt see him, he can not drive a car then. Even if he was provoked, thats too much. Just dont understand why they did it. They probably knew that DEL does not have exactly great name among fans and this does no help. This was seriously like in that in 90s comppetitons, or basically worse.

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
I like the idea posted here of a Christmas Cup with the champions of the big leagues.Even Spengler Cup can change his
culture to become this kind of cup.
Big leagues champions,except swedish.Seems like they don't have interest in nothing but their own belly button.:laugh:

Reactions: Ducks76

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota
Just out of interest, what would everyone on here give Larkin for his hit? Bearing in mind the CHL can only ban him for CHL games, he has effectively been banned for 2/3rds of the group phase. I don't think you can realistically give him more than 6 games.

I think the reason Brynäs is talking about boycotting the CHL is reflective of a general displeasure of the entire system. In Sweden a hit like Larkins would have resulted in a 20-30 game suspension, and a signigitanfly longer suspension for Simpson for unprofessional conduct. The fact that the CHL is unable to protect players and keep maintain accountability adds even more fuel to be fire that the CHL hurts its participants in domestic competitions. Then add the fact that the SHL is the biggest source of funding of the CHL, which creates a feeling of superiority. I.e, "how dare you hurt our players, dont you know who we are!?".

Anyway, to answer your question, I think SHL-teams would be fairly understanding if the CHL acknowledged that the entire system around suspensions needed to be overlooked - including some agreement with the international federations of suspensions also applying to domestic competition if a team was eliminated. At least as long as the CHL is considered a secondary competition. The outrage is primarily about a lack of disciplinary accountability, with added overtones of a more general displeasure of the entire competition.

I should also add that Brynäs states that they feel like the consequences of a hit like that would differ based on nationality, as a Swedish player would certainly been suspended by the domestic federation even if it occurred during international play. There could definitely be an aspect of BS in this sentiment, but considering that Swedish hockey is relatively forward-thinking (value-judgment) in terms of these sort of things I tend to believe that.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
I like the idea posted here of a Christmas Cup with the champions of the big leagues.Even Spengler Cup can change his
culture to become this kind of cup.
Big leagues champions,except swedish.Seems like they don't have interest in nothing but their own belly button.:laugh:
Yes give me a like ;)!

Reactions: habsturies

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I should also add that Brynäs states that they feel like the consequences of a hit like that would differ based on nationality, as a Swedish player would certainly been suspended by the domestic federation even if it occurred during international play. There could definitely be an aspect of BS in this sentiment, but considering that Swedish hockey is relatively forward-thinking (value-judgment) in terms of these sort of things I tend to believe that.

I think it might be a little bit hypocritical in the sense that I'm not convinced the SHL teams are ultimately willing to enable the CHL or other federations to give long domestic suspensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad