2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
By 'versatile' you mean 'doesn't excel in any one area' ? I also think Ryan Strome's two-way acumen is way overrated in here too. I don't remember who said it but one of the guys on twitter (Friedman?) said that people these days tend to give players the 'two-way' moniker to guys who are not very good at scoring and to an extent I agree with that. Definitely seems to be true with Strome anyhow (and it has been the case with RNH at times too).

Strome is miles better than Eberle ever was in his own zone, along the boards and as a play maker/set up guy, versatile also meaning he can play more than just RW, where as Eberle is a winger who is only a sometimes positive player inside the other teams blueline. Eberle could dangle and playbwell when he had space to get a shot off, but other than that he wasn't effective. Was probably more an issue with effort than anything else.

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Marleau has 18 points in 34 games (on pace for 43) while making $6.25M. :popcorn:
By the love that he constantly gets from the media you'd swear he was top 30 in league scoring and playing like he did in his prime. Truth is he isn't much ahead of Strome considering the amount he benefits from playing on a strong offensive team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Strome is miles better than Eberle ever was in his own zone, along the boards and as a play maker/set up guy,
Pffft. What an utter load.
Especially the bit about being a better play maker and set up guy.
From what I've observed the only area where Strome may be a teeny tiny bit better than Eberle is back checking.
And that's emphasis on the teeny tiny.

As for your constant shots at Eberle's 'effort'. Strome doesn't appear to be any better. If he is, and what we are witnessing is Strome's best effort, all I can say is I'd rather have Eberle's lack of it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
From what I've observed the only area where Strome may be a teeny tiny bit better than Eberle is back checking.

As for your constant shots at Eberle's 'effort'. Strome doesn't appear to be any better. If he is, and what we are witnessing is Strome's best effort, all I can say is I'd rather have Eberle's lack of it.

Eberle couldn't clear a puck in his own zone, mostly because he didn't have a clue of where to be (Yakupov-esque). He also couldn't win a 1 on 1 puck battle to save his life. It's amazing how much people will complain about a guy being 45% on the faceoff dot, a stats that wingers play a large roll in helping win the tied draws, yet don't care that a player loses 90% of puck battles.

Notice how Nuge has suddenly become a decent faceoff man now that he doesn't have to take a majority of his draws with a RW who can't win a puck battle?

It's blantanly obvious to see that Strome is a better positional player than Eberle the last two seasons he was here. Which also points to a lack of effort by Eberle. My bet was that he wanted out the moment Hall was moved.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So since Strome is struggling I guess you'd be in favor of keeping him around until he returns to the form of a 50+ point player again...
But he isn't struggling. This is what he is. He's a 30 poitn player who doesn't really do anything particularly well. Draisatl has to feel frustrated being tied to this complete nothing of a player.

I'd personally rather have an overpaid something instead of an underpaid nothing in a year where we don't need cap savings.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But he isn't struggling. This is what he is. He's a 30 poitn player who doesn't really do anything particularly well.

Granted he isn't struggling as bad as Eberle did in games that matter, but yes he isn't producing at a rate he has been able to in the past.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

If you can show me evidence of Eberle winning a board battle last season or a 1 on 1 battle I'd love to see it.

He used to do it before he got his fat contract...but something changed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Granted he isn't struggling as bad as Eberle did in games that matter, but yes he isn't producing at a rate he has been able to in the past.
He's a 30 point player producing at roughly that rate.

Don't let him off the hook by saying he's struggling. He's just not very good.

He isn't even struggling in games that matter because there aren't anymore games that matter. The season's finished and he's deciding to go out with a whimper. Call me crazy but I'd rather have a regular season producer who "struggles" in games that matter than a guy who never showed up to begin with.

If Chia qualifies this player it'll only further prove his incompetence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strome hasn't really been put in a position to succeed until recently.

You keep saying we can't trade players at their lowest point like there was a certainty that Eberle could recover his value while still with the Oilers and that isn't certain.
Strome has often been put in situations to succeed in his career. He's in one now. Excepting that his putrid play is out of sync enough to stymie even a quality Center like Draisaitl.

Strome was essentially a bust when we got him and continues to play like one now. I tried to defend the player for 15 games with a wait and see attitude but Ryan Strome brings nothing to topsix production, and he is not a good bottomsix player. The NHL is passing him by. Theres not much to see here.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strome is miles better than Eberle ever was in his own zone, along the boards and as a play maker/set up guy, versatile also meaning he can play more than just RW, where as Eberle is a winger who is only a sometimes positive player inside the other teams blueline. Eberle could dangle and playbwell when he had space to get a shot off, but other than that he wasn't effective. Was probably more an issue with effort than anything else.

These are apples/oranges comparisons. Eberle played most of his career here on a team lacking coherent guidance. We've all (you too) used this excuse for other players. Eberle also played on a club not even expected to win most of those seasons and his role was primarily as an entertainer on a bad team and he was that. Eberle provided a lot of enjoyable moments.

Strome plays on a much different team and has never played on a team that was as bad as the Oilers or had to endure half a dozen seasons of it. Islanders were bad at times, but not on the same scale.

Heres a question. What would a Strome look like after playing half a dozen years on this team from 2010 on...I think he would look like a "where are they now" artifact.

At least Eberle survived this mess and he survived it very well.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The NHL. The fun never stops.

New York Rangers at Boston @ 3 PM NESN, MSG+ 2
Winnipeg at St. Louis @ 5 PM CITY, FS-MW
Montreal at Ottawa @ 5 PM CBC, SN, TVAS, NBCSN
Los Angeles at New York Islanders @ 5 PM MSG+, FS-W
Dallas at Philadelphia @ 5 PM NBCSP, FS-SW+
Columbus at Carolina @ 5 PM FS-CR, FS-O
Pittsburgh at Arizona @6 PM FS-A PLUS, ATTSN-PT
Anaheim at Washington @ 6 PM NBCSWA, KCOP-13
Tampa Bay at Colorado @ 7 PM ALT, SUN
Nashville at Calgary @8 PM CBC, SN, FS-TN

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
These are apples/oranges comparisons. Eberle played most of his career here on a team lacking coherent guidance. We've all (you too) used this excuse for other players. Eberle also played on a club not even expected to win most of those seasons and his role was primarily as an entertainer on a bad team and he was that. Eberle provided a lot of enjoyable moments.

Strome plays on a much different team and has never played on a team that was as bad as the Oilers or had to endure half a dozen seasons of it. Islanders were bad at times, but not on the same scale.

Heres a question. What would a Strome look like after playing half a dozen years on this team from 2010 on...I think he would look like a "where are they now" artifact.

At least Eberle survived this mess and he survived it very well.

Thing is that Eberle actually produced and put in visible effort during those seasons. Once we finally got a good coach and the team started playing an actual system his game went down hill. Maybe he got complacent with the new contract, maybe he didn't like Hall being dealt, maybe he wanted out. Because he sure put in an effort of a player who didn't want to be here the last two years. Which is unfortunate because he had shown in the past and is currently showing with the Islanders that he is a good player if he tries.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ottawa's currently -12 heading for an overnight low of -20. Hope the players don't mind.
They might beat the 2003 Heritage Classic for coldest outdoor NHL game. I was at that one, shivering all day, except my feet were on fire and steaming because I stuffed my socks with hand warmer packs.

Reactions: oilers'72

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Did anyone see Ron MacLean interview with Trudeau in the pre-game? When he was talking about his father, Justin’s son was looking at Ron as if he just told him Santa isn’t real.

Reactions: oilers'72

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Oilers win
Kings lose in OT
Stars lose in OT
Ducks lose in OT
Avalanche getting thumped

JQB7k.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad