2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
So I wonder what happens if Legace cant suit up for the VGK on Thursday night. Do they make a trade or bring up one of the AHL-contract goalies with the Wolves. Don't know if they have anymore goalies in their system.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I wonder what happens if Legace cant suit up for the VGK on Thursday night. Do they make a trade or bring up one of the AHL-contract goalies with the Wolves. Don't know if they have anymore goalies in their system.
They really don't seem to care all that much. There have been some stop gaps that probably aren't the greatest, but would've been better than Legace. They could just go watch men's league hockey tonight and grab a guy from Vancouver as an emergency backup.

I do wonder if this was GMGM's way of getting the team to start losing. They really can't afford to not be in the top 5 of the draft this year. It's a great story that they were doing well and they probably shown to the current roster that they aren't that far away from being a decent team to re-sign with. However, they really have a group that is all playing above their heads right now. They probably should be trading some guys as they are going to start taking a step back and won't be worth that much.

It's still rather early, but do you try move Smith now? Or do you keep that long-term deal and hope he can continue to shelter players? Do you talk to Neal and Perron and find out if they want to stay at a decent amount or do you move them while there is a demand for skilled forwards?

They need vets, but at the same time if they can load up on picks and pick up some other vets they are probably better off long-term

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Looking at the contracts in Vegas right now it will be a completely different team already next season... 7 FWDs and 2 Ds with contracts going into 18/19. Haula, Smith have contracts going forward but both are having career years so far and if they keep that up they will have good value for trade.

Of course they need to keep the team afloat with players but I could see them trying to offload players for picks this season and then trading for players going into their last year or going after short terms UFAs. They won't have problems with the cap so they can easily over-pay for old-timers (or similar) if they feel it will work out for them in the long run.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Flames' Mike Smith out vs. Red Wings with injury; Gillies recalled - Sportsnet.ca

Whoever took Smith, Hamonic and Jagr being out of the lineup due to injuries at some point before game 20 on the Flames'' schedule, come to the main booth to collect your prize.

Sportsnet saying he is with the team and the Calgary Sun is saying he isn't :laugh:. Did he get off the plane during a lay over and not get back on it?

Last edited:

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I expect the Oil to be in 4/5th in the division by the end of the month. Still see them taking a division spot for the playoffs.

Vegas and Van both have pretty hard schedules and Anaheim is a toss up. Edm still has to keep playing the way they have been though. (More goals will come)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
3 games spread out so that the wife only has 2 TVs to yell over.

Calgary at Detroit @ 5 PM SN, TVAS, FS-D+
New York Rangers at Chicago @ 6 PM NBCSN
Boston at Anaheim @ 8:30 PM SN360, SN(jip), PRIME, NESN

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Speed is the kryptonite of the Flames defence

I respect Giordano's game, but the rest of those guys, terrible at actually defending, they all just want to play 4th forward. Except Hamonic, who is basically Russell now. Good article on theathletic about how Hamonic is the arguably one of the worst D in the league last year and this year. Terrible at defending (article pointed at his gap control which has become very bad last year and this year), and destroys his teams ability to create offense. He's basically their Russell (maybe worse), except they paid a 1st and 2 2nds to get him.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I respect Giordano's game, but the rest of those guys, terrible at actually defending, they all just want to play 4th forward. Except Hamonic, who is basically Russell now. Good article on theathletic about how Hamonic is the arguably one of the worst D in the league last year and this year. Terrible at defending (article pointed at his gap control which has become very bad last year and this year), and destroys his teams ability to create offense. He's basically their Russell (maybe worse), except they paid a 1st and 2 2nds to get him.
Garth Snow owns Alberta.

Reactions: oobga

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Jan Ruttu of the Blackhawks looks really good. Big right shooting D with great mobility. Where were our scouts? He would have been perfect for us.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I honestly wouldn't blame him much Flames hanging him out to dry
A couple of the goals were bad but yeah, not much help. Just shows how good Smith has been this season. This is the same tire fire club defensively as the past three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad