2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Also, why does GreatKeith have to bring up how much the Oilers suck in every thread?
Better complain about the posters trying to liken the Capitals to the Oilers under the flimsiest of pretexts.
Can't expect to have posters boot polishing for the Oilers organization without anyone responding.
It's proof positive it takes more than talent to get to the Cup final
Of course it does. But we all know that wasn't your point.
Just like your following post on the Islanders wasn't anything to do with the SC playoffs.
As usual you're carrying water for the Oilers organization.

When you have a lot of talent you can afford to judiciously trade some of it away to fill specific needs.
The Caps are not like the Oilers in any way. Go ahead and point out to me when the Caps are reduced to running the likes of Caggiula and Benning on the power play.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's proof positive it takes more than talent to get to the Cup final

The Caps aren't talented?

Sure you need the top talent to get there. The other stuff is in the team mix, how the team gels, feels like a team etc. Didn't there just seem to be a different enthusiasm on the bench in Washington this season? Do the Caps really pass gutchecks in big games against the Pens or Lightning in other seasons? This was more than goaltending. There was an intensity out there. In the games I saw the Caps just beat up the Lightning. Game 6 being ridiculous carnage. Game 6 being a basic unmasking of a small team that got pummeled far too many rounds in this series. You saw it. By the 6th game the Lightning weren't even willing to take the punishment anymore. By the 3rd period last night the Caps were in complete control. Lightning watching their season count down and 14mins without even a SOG and they even had a PP... This being on home ice where they could match lines. Try to even notice one good shift that Tampas' topline had last night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, they certainly didn't play well as a whole.

The Oilers players(even the ones not playing for Team Canada) had a good tournament as individuals though so I find it hard to blame them is all I'm saying.
I was being a bit flippant and tongue in cheek. More of an attempt at a tired joke than anything.

Oilers know a thing or two about losing.

Reactions: oXo Cube

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Better complain about the posters trying to liken the Capitals to the Oilers under the flimsiest of pretexts.
Can't expect to have posters boot polishing for the Oilers organization without anyone responding.

Shocking that you would respond in this fashion.

I'm kind of sick of the constant misery on this board even in threads that have nothing to do with the Oilers (not that the Oilers don't deserve a healthy dose of criticism but you get my point). If that makes me a "boot polisher" then by all means, have fun with it.
It's like if somebody dare to bring up one positive of Chia, even going back to his Bruins days, the herd immediately attacks and turns it into a negative somehow (again, not that Chia doesn't deserve a healthy does of criticism).

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I'm kind of sick of the constant misery on this board even in threads that have nothing to do with the Oilers (not that the Oilers don't deserve a healthy dose of criticism but you get my point). If that makes me a "boot polisher" then by all means, have fun with it.

I'm willing to agree with this as well.

I understand why it happens but the way every single thread on the board gets derailed into a discussion about how much Chiarelli sucks(and he does) can be pretty annoying.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
15 goals, 20 assists, 35 points in 43 games in the World Championships. What a ghost as per usual.
Well stated, and don't worry. @CantHaveTkachev didn't watch the games.
Eberle was not a ghost. For some reason the genius coach chose not to use one of his better assets in the game vs the Swiss. Eberle barely played in that game but with a minute left, needing a goal, then the coach throws out Eberle. He almost scored twice.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Of course it does. But we all know that wasn't your point.
Just like your following post on the Islanders wasn't anything to do with the SC playoffs.
As usual you're carrying water for the Oilers organization.
actually it was
all the crying about "Oilers lost so much talent in the offseason! (Ebs)" is a bunch of non-sense because the Caps are proving with good goaltending and finding the right mix, anything is possible...despite the "downgrade" in talent

When you have a lot of talent you can afford to judiciously trade some of it away to fill specific needs.
they lost Shattenkirk for nothing and Johansson for a couple of picks...not exactly filling needs

The Caps are not like the Oilers in any way. Go ahead and point out to me when the Caps are reduced to running the likes of Caggiula and Benning on the power play.
of course not, they've been a lot better for years...but they lost a lot of talent in the offseason and got better in the playoffs

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
actually it was
all the crying about "Oilers lost so much talent in the offseason! (Ebs)" is a bunch of non-sense because the Caps are proving with good goaltending and finding the right mix, anything is possible...despite the "downgrade" in talent

they lost Shattenkirk for nothing and Johansson for a couple of picks...not exactly filling needs

of course not, they've been a lot better for years...but they lost a lot of talent in the offseason and got better in the playoffs
The Caps are finally getting the goaltending needed to win a Cup. Too many years Holtby and his predecessors were getting outdueled.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well stated, and don't worry. @CantHaveTkachev didn't watch the games.
Eberle was not a ghost. For some reason the genius coach chose not to use one of his better assets in the game vs the Swiss. Eberle barely played in that game but with a minute left, needing a goal, then the coach throws out Eberle. He almost scored twice.
almost scored? wow!
like he almost scored a goal in the playoffs

and Ebs was reduced to limited minutes in big games cause he was awful

Reactions: Night Witch

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
In Eberle's defense for the WHC, Canada needed more from almost everybody.

I don't know what it was missing but the team as a whole just didn't have it.

What is missing is people giving a crap. North Americans largely don't care much for that tournament. It's a sideshow to the real hockey being played in the playoffs for us. For European players and fans it's totally different. It should come as no surprise that a team like Switzerland has success at it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I understand why it happens but the way every single thread on the board gets derailed into a discussion about how much Chiarelli sucks(and he does) can be pretty annoying.
Disagree here. This stuff starts because you have several posters saying the same stuff every series. "Oilers are no different from Jets, Caps, Knights, fill in the blank. That is odious posting as well. The response to remind that the Oilers aren't very good even though they possess the best player in the world is hard not to make in response to mythology being posted.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is something I'm willing to agree with.

Which is the primary reason why the 'if you don't win the cup you're just the first loser' argument is beyond stupid. It's out of anyone's control.

Not to mention fantastic teams that are very capable of winning a Cup can simply not win them. There are so many factors and other good teams in play.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Disagree here. This stuff starts because you have several posters saying the same stuff every series. "Oilers are no different from Jets, Caps, Knights, fill in the blank. That is odious posting as well. The response to remind that the Oilers aren't very good even though they possess the best player in the world is hard not to make in response to mythology being posted.

You didn't really disagree or post anything I disagree with FWIW.

Like I said I absolutely understand why it keeps happening.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It's like if somebody dare to bring up one positive of Chia, even going back to his Bruins days, the herd immediately attacks and turns it into a negative somehow (again, not that Chia doesn't deserve a healthy does of criticism).
Where I have difficulty with this is you've done both. We all have our moments. You've had times too where you say your just sick of this team, it sucks, etc. Just that you recover a lot better...;)

Most of us here are more impacted by all the memories.. I'm being flippant with that, in the vein that most Oilers fans have hockey related PTSD.

But this should be the one place where people are allowed to voice the range of emotions that this org produces. Most of that being vitriol. It is deserved by the org.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

It is absolutely annoying, who wants to think about Chiarelli ever.
What's more annoying is that posters who dislike Chiarelli are getting blamed for bringing it up (not by you) when really its the Chiarelli Cheerleaders who frequently cause the topic to surface.
I mean we have a guy in here making a half dozen posts about Eberle and talking about how the Caps are a great model for dumping 'talent' in order to create a better 'team'.
Doesn't take a genius to see what the agenda is with those posts.
It's like if somebody dare to bring up one positive of Chia, even going back to his Bruins days, the herd immediately attacks and turns it into a negative somehow
If that's how you see it I feel badly about that. Always respect you as a good, veteran poster we just happen to be on different sides of this one. Re the bold, I'm not part of any herd. I comment about the Oilers based on my own opinions.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not meaning to harp on things this AM, Already got the digs in last night. But this more analytical.

You can basically see what gambit teams are making with some of this. Pay particular attention to Weight.

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...

Tampa by weight is the smallest team in the league. It isn't surprising. They tend to value pint sized talent over other details and their forward lineup is shockingly small. They have only 2 forwards that are 2oo lbs and those guys barely play. They insert Miller just to try to get something physical going. Theres just no way you can win it all in the playoffs with a team built out like that.

This year the Caps came in as one of the bigger clubs and weigh as much as WC clubs. They basically have the stature of California Redwood clubs. On average the Caps are 12lbs heavier than the Lightning. It was felt in the series. Its like not even being in the same weight class.

Interestingly 10/15 of the heaviest clubs in the league are WC clubs, again not surprising. The Knights have also gotten bigger since this stat was put out. If you look at who is actually seeing ice with Vegas they are also a +200lb club.

Anyway theres been lots of talk about the NHL going the way of faster, smaller, more talented but the NHL is really going full NFL here. Teams and players have NEVER been bigger. The average NHL player is now over 200lbs. That used to be considered large in hockey terms.

ps The small team complaint is coming up a lot in the Tampa board. The fans seem onto this. But then they also say Point is the future of the franchise.. Tampa are way too small and getting smaller.

Do you have stats for other years or just one tiny sample size that shows that the smallest team in the league is one of the best in the regular season and was one win away from the Cup final? I have to say, I actually love your conspiracy-level theories about things. Great entertainment.

Dallas Stars are a huge team that consistently crap the bed. Hilarious.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What's more annoying is that posters who dislike Chiarelli are getting blamed for bringing it up (not by you) when really its the Chiarelli Cheerleaders who frequently cause the topic to surface.
I mean we have a guy in here making a half dozen posts about Eberle and talking about how the Caps are a great model for dumping 'talent' in order to create a better 'team'.

Not interested in defending this poster but I think it's important to point out that this does go both ways. I won't name them but there are definitely some other posters who cant resist signing off on every post about how crappy the Oilers are even when it's entirely off topic.

In any case this is officially well off topic in my own right so I'll let it go here. Cheers.

Reactions: Aerrol and harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
actually it was
I honestly have no idea why you are bring up Eberle as if it was an isolated instance. He's like the fourth (fifth if you count the draft picks) piece of talent the Oilers have shipped out. I'm sure you can understand that the effect has been cumulative.
Cap space is a need. I heard it all season long. They also had young players like that Vrana kid who stepped up huge. Oilers had Caggiula.
Meanwhile the Oilers lost a lot of talent and finished in the bottom ten again. It sounds like you believe losing talent is some kind of recipe for success. :laugh:
like he almost scored a goal in the playoffs
Nah he was kind of a ghost in the playoffs. I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you that he was disappointed with his play. But thanks for confirming that you didn't watch the IIHF games. Just more pot stirring as I suspected.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If that's how you see it I feel badly about that. Always respect you as a good, veteran poster we just happen to be on different sides of this one.
Re the bold, I'm not part of any herd. I comment about the Oilers based on my own opinions.

Here's the thing, and it exists on both sides. comments like "Chia cheerleaders" and "management boot lickers" is what degrades these conversations into a pissfest.

I do respect you as a long time poster and we go way back through some extraordinarily crappy times as Oiler fans but you do, and try not to take it personally, tend to throw out digs like the ones I mentioned above during heated debates. Of course it's all in good fun when it boils down to it and it's not like I'm overly sensitive generally but I guess it's a respect thing, I just feel like those comments in quotes are a bit disrespectful and only serve to frustrate people. FTR, my "herd" comment can be construed the same way in some respects but I do feel like there's a group of posters that immediately jump on those who mention any positive about the Oilers and/or Chiarelli and there are some posters who always remind us about how much the Oilers suck in every thread whether it's Oiler centric or not.

I'll just add that I'm as frustrated as anybody about this past season and I'm a little nervous about what will transpire this offseason because of what Chia's desperation might force him to do but lets try to respect each other. After all, we're all in this together for better or worse. Oiler hockey is a helluva drug. ;)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'll just add that I'm as frustrated as anybody about this past season and I'm a little nervous about what will transpire this offseason because of what Chia's desperation might force him to do but lets try to respect each other. After all, we're all in this together for better or worse. Oiler hockey is a helluva drug. ;)

This is the biggest thing I always try to remember when having any discussion on this board.

At the end of the day we're all on the same side here. Nobody that posts regularly is happy with where the Oilers are in the standings.

Reactions: McCupofOil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you have stats for other years or just one tiny sample size that shows that the smallest team in the league is one of the best in the regular season and was one win away from the Cup final? I have to say, I actually love your conspiracy-level theories about things. Great entertainment.

Dallas Stars are a huge team that consistently crap the bed. Hilarious.

Regular season means very little. Winning Cups is the goal. I don't think I've ever talked well of the Dallas Stars. They are one of the clubs I love to bet against.

The Caps were able to lean on the Lightning. Quite a lot. By game 6,7 it seemed like quite a problem that Tampa didn't have the lineup to solve. They tried to adjust by cheapshots and running people into the boards head first but that crap only gets you so far. I do find it funny that not only did Paquette not get a penalty on the play but the officials main interest seemed to be protecting him from harm after he injured an opponent with a dirty hit.

Most of the Tampa fans feel size was a factor in the series. I think they are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad