2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
It's gonna be hilarious if gmgm wins a cup against his old team that final got to the finals

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
In their 3 wins the Lightning had 7 total powerplays and scored 3 goals. The Capitals were the better team 5v5 overall but the Lightning were certainly able to carry the play at times as well. No to mention the powerplay is, and always has been, a part of the game that is important. Just ask the Oilers this year.

I would have been glad with either team winning it all. You can certainly tell which folks here basically didn't watch any, or very little, of the actual hockey between these two teams.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stamkos-Kucherov era dynasty stuck at zero. lmao. Remember a couple posters here talking this club up as "Good as the 80's Oilers" See if you can guess who.

I don't know that theres a more disliked club in the league right now than the Lightning. Maybe Kucherov can go kick a team mate with his skate now. Stupid f***.

Reactions: harpoon

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
At least we didn't have to listen to how godly the Kings are for more than 4 games this year...lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I heard Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Brown still like their 2 Stanley cup rings. Least they got em...;)

hey, from his play tonight Dan Girardi still hates the Lightning. That was the funniest thing.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Kings have won ONE playoff game in the past 4 seasons. Less than the Oilers. They are also rans at this point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Any contender exists to put their names on the trophy. The Kings have that in duplicate despite playing in the tougher Conference.

I'll let you have the last work. In sympathy you could use it.

Should be a good final series. Its better for the NHL that a bigger market in Washington, that is at least near the Eastern Seaboard is advancing.

Tampa-Vegas would be pretty limited market interest.

hey, at least we agree on the anthem thing. ;)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You can keep your sympathy along with your views on the sport. I have no need of either.

Looking forward to what I am hoping will be the Ovechkin show in the Final.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Was kinda satisfying to see Girardi look like a total boob for a big goal against, the 2-0 one. Not sure how that guy didn't bury his team more this year, but he showed his quality at a nice time in this game 7.

There is a guy on hf with a pretty awesome list of all the back breaking goals Girardi was on the ice for in the playoffs, through years of his failures with the rangers. Not sure if this one qualifies, since it wasn't a game winner or game tying goal against, but it comes close :)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
FF2miiw.jpg

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I mean the Oilers have won 7 playoff games in the past decade...

The Kings have won more Cups than the Oilers have playoff rounds in that time.

Well, sure. It's all about sample size right? The Kings were sewer trash for years and years as well. The fact is they are no longer a top team any more. Yet Replacement is obsessed with them on an Oilers forum. It's actually quite strange.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, sure. It's all about sample size right? The Kings were sewer trash for years and years as well. The fact is they are no longer a top team any more. Yet Replacement is obsessed with them on an Oilers forum. It's actually quite strange.
Yes they were, then they rose out of it.

The Oilers have yet to do that despite the best player on the planet. One playoff appearance does not erase a decade of complete and utter incompetence.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Happy for Ovi and the Caps. First SCF between two cup-less teams since Ana - OTT in 07, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Whatever you do Greatkeith, don't do sports betting if it involves Washington.

Pretty happy Ovechkin gets his chance. He's old enough to realize how often this comes along, so I think we'll see him give it his all.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yes they were, then they rose out of it.

The Oilers have yet to do that despite the best player on the planet. One playoff appearance does not erase a decade of complete and utter incompetence.

Indeed. Do you go around telling fish that water is wet all day long as well? I mean, you're demonstrating exactly my point. The Kings had a nice period of time where they were a top team but in recent memory have had less success in the playoffs than the most embarassing team in the NHL. People are free to cheer for them and go on and on about how great they are if they wish, but it's so odd, particularly on an Oilers message board. It's like a guy at a party who can't stop talking about how attractive some other guy's wife is. Even if he is correct, it's still incredibly creepy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Indeed. Do you go around telling fish that water is wet all day long as well? I mean, you're demonstrating exactly my point. The Kings had a nice period of time where they were a top team but in recent memory have had less success in the playoffs than the most embarassing team in the NHL. People are free to cheer for them and go on and on about how great they are if they wish, but it's so odd, particularly on an Oilers message board. It's like a guy at a party who can't stop talking about how attractive some other guy's wife is. Even if he is correct, it's still incredibly creepy.
It's okay to praise other teams, you know.

2 Cups is 2 Cups. If the Oilers win another 2 someday that'll be fantastic. We can only hope that current management doesn't hold them back from that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's okay to praise other teams, you know.

2 Cups is 2 Cups. If the Oilers win another 2 someday that'll be fantastic. We can only hope that current management doesn't hold them back from that.

Giving some kudos to a team doing well seems appropriate. Continually praising a team that is 4 seasons removed from any kind of playoff success speaks to some other motivation. What that motivation is is not for me to say, though of course I have my own ideas.

Yes, we all want the Oilers to have success - maybe even you, though many of us wonder.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Giving some kudos to a team doing well seems appropriate. Continually praising a team that is 4 seasons removed from any kind of playoff success speaks to some other motivation. What that motivation is is not for me to say, though of course I have my own ideas.

Yes, we all want the Oilers to have success - maybe even you, though many of us wonder.
I want the Oilers to have success just as much as anyone else. I was happy with what management did to get to the playoffs and then rather perturbed at what they did afterward.

If we can have Hawks, Penguins, or Kings-like success I could care less who they employ. But until we become a consistent threat, I will hold management accountable.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
You know, in all my 48 years on this planet I don't think I've ever outright cheered for a team in the finals that wasn't the Oilers. Sure there's been a team here and there that I would have a slight preference to have win, but never go out of my way to watch a game and be emotionally invested in the outcome.

This time, I will be emotionally invested in seeing Washington win it all. If there's a single non-Oiler player that I dearly wish to see gliding around the ice with the Cup over his head, it's Alexander Ovechkin. I want to see that.

I also want to see the Washington fanbase celebrate a Cup. IMO they're far more deserving of such a victory than the Vegas fanbase. I don't think they would appreciate it nearly as much as Washington fans would, who haven't seen a Cup Champion in all the years the franchise has been around. It would irk me to see Vegas win it, I was the same way when Colorado won their 1st Cup. Just my opinion.

Reactions: McCupofOil

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Delighted that the Bolts lost. Not a big Washington fan, but I cannot stand Tampa Bay.
At least we won't have to endure months of posts about how Palat, Killorn and Johnson are so wonderful.

Be cheering for Vegas in the Finals, but I'd be OK with the Caps winning one too. Buh bye Tampa Bay.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad