2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's nothing new. When you're lapped by an expansion team you should be embarrassed.

Honestly these playoffs just haven't been all that entertaining. There's no upsets, few overtimes.... Tons of storylines but those can only do so much when the games themselves are just alright. The intensity is there for sure but I'm not so sure the drama is.

It seems almost contrived. Story book Vegas team wins gold in the face of Vegas shooting tragedy and rising from those ashes to reclaim a community and happiness. OV and Caps finally putting it together after decades. Stamkos and crew perhaps winning their first cup after being favorites several times. Jets being said to be great but missed playoffs multiple previous years. Maybe parity is getting to me. The results seem random generated night to night. Good for bookies, bad for bettors.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
^In contrast I haven't had a more productive and active spring in decades. Getting a lot done and I think most of it is I didn't invest time in this playoffs so its like watching a series trying to watch it midstream. I have limited investment in any of these clubs.

Never liked OV or the Caps. Certainly not Tampa. The rebel in me likes what the Knights have done but primarily because it outs how silly most GM's are. But mostly its depressing knowing that a SC calibre team was put together on other teams expansion draft non protected list. Meanwhile we trade Taylor Hall for a D to improve the team. sigh.

The Jets being another model of an efficient way to build a team. They also have a lower cap than the lowly Oilers. Mostly watching this just hilites how inept the oilers org is and continues to be. I'm watching anything else, even Netflix on occasion. But mostly just working on outdoor projects and getting exercise.

One of the striking things is virtually none of the posters here are talking about playoffs or even posting at all. This is all relatively new.

I don't think about the Oilers much when watching these games. I'm a hockey fan as well as an Oiler fan so I don't get upset that another team is doing well while the Oilers aren't unless it was one of the Oilers hated rivals or Hall making a Cup run therefore making this place even more unbearable. I'm just watching the hockey because I enjoy playoff hockey.
I still have plenty of time for outside activity and watching playoff hockey when I can.

I do think the storylines are outweighing the quality of hockey. There hasn't been a lot of close games and marathon overtimes so in that sense, the playoffs have been a bit of a disappointment but my interest is primarily due to the storylines and in particular, Ovi and the Caps pursuing their first Cup. If the Caps get knocked out, my interest level will wane.

The OOT thread is lacking posters because there's no team to hate. If Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver or Hall were still in the playoffs, this thread would be a lot more active.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It seems almost contrived. Story book Vegas team wins gold in the face of Vegas shooting tragedy and rising from those ashes to reclaim a community and happiness. OV and Caps finally putting it together after decades. Stamkos and crew perhaps winning their first cup after being favorites several times. Jets being said to be great but missed playoffs multiple previous years. Maybe parity is getting to me. The results seem random generated night to night. Good for bookies, bad for bettors.
Well after the Oilers made the playoffs anything was possible. ;)

But it does bring a lot of perspective. Most of the remaining teams are deep on the front and back end and have top notch goaltending. If MAF were healthy throughout the whole year he likely would have a few award nominations.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well after the Oilers made the playoffs anything was possible. ;)

But it does bring a lot of perspective. Most of the remaining teams are deep on the front and back end and have top notch goaltending. If MAF were healthy throughout the whole year he likely would have a few award nominations.

One wonders if the Pens win another cup if Fleury is still their goalie. Actually I think that's a slam dunk. Its interesting how teams overthink things. Fleury was one of the best goaltending talents in the game. You stay with that guy. You resist hitching the train to the current hot goalie who is imo not as good as Fleury.

Seems like everything about Vegas is a story about some other teams mistake. This is the playoffs where the NHL got undressed. I wonder what GM's are thinking about the expansion draft formula right about now. Looks like revisions before Seattle.
I don't think about the Oilers much when watching these games. I'm a hockey fan as well as an Oiler fan so I don't get upset that another team is doing well while the Oilers aren't unless it was one of the Oilers hated rivals or Hall making a Cup run therefore making this place even more unbearable. I'm just watching the hockey because I enjoy playoff hockey.
I still have plenty of time for outside activity and watching playoff hockey when I can.

I do think the storylines are outweighing the quality of hockey. There hasn't been a lot of close games and marathon overtimes so in that sense, the playoffs have been a bit of a disappointment but my interest is primarily due to the storylines and in particular, Ovi and the Caps pursuing their first Cup. If the Caps get knocked out, my interest level will wane.

The OOT thread is lacking posters because there's no team to hate. If Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver or Hall were still in the playoffs, this thread would be a lot more active.

That's essentially it. If one didn't buy the storylines, didn'g get engaged in that the game results are not very compelling. While some of the play is quite good theres a lot of a sense of it being one team with the clear edge one night, and who knows what happens the next. Other than the Caps vs Pens series and Jets vs Preds I don't feel any of the series were really close. Even in those series most of the actual games were not close. I like OT's close games, battles. Seeing one team win 4-0 one night and the other 5-1 the next night sure isn't doing it for me. More games have been cakewalks for one team than compelling battles that went the distance. The biggest story is goalies stoning. Seen that movie before.

I don't think people aren't posting due to no hate factor. I think theres just little interest. This playoffs, entirely, is anticlimactic for Oilers fans after the excitement of last year. This whole season is one big letdown and can't end soon enough imo.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
One wonders if the Pens win another cup if Fleury is still their goalie. Actually I think that's a slam dunk. Its interesting how teams overthink things. Fleury was one of the best goaltending talents in the game. You stay with that guy. You resist hitching the train to the current hot goalie who is imo not as good as Fleury.

Seems like everything about Vegas is a story about some other teams mistake. This is the playoffs where the NHL got undressed. I wonder what GM's are thinking about the expansion draft formula right about now. Looks like revisions before Seattle.
Fleury was really good for them last year and they probably still would've won the Cup even if they started MAF over Murray. The Pens bet on an unknown over a safe bet and lost (sound familiar?).

The Knights have exposed a ton of NHL GMs as morons. Ironically this is the one time Chiarelli is actually safe because the player he gave up was completely useless to the VGK. Tallon, meanwhile, essentially gave the Knights their top line, not to mention their coach.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's essentially it. If one didn't buy the storylines, didn'g get engaged in that the game results are not very compelling. While some of the play is quite good theres a lot of a sense of it being one team with the clear edge one night, and who knows what happens the next. Other than the Caps vs Pens series and Jets vs Preds I don't feel any of the series were really close. Even in those series most of the actual games were not close. I like OT's close games, battles. Seeing one team win 4-0 one night and the other 5-1 the next night sure isn't doing it for me. More games have been cakewalks for one team than compelling battles that went the distance. The biggest story is goalies stoning. Seen that movie before.

I don't think people aren't posting due to no hate factor. I think theres just little interest. This playoffs, entirely, is anticlimactic for Oilers fans after the excitement of last year. This whole season is one big letdown and can't end soon enough imo.

Can't disagree with any of this.

You hit on it with the Oiler letdown affecting enjoyment of watching the game in general. This season, moreso than any season in my 25 years of watching Oilers hockey, has been the most deflating of any because of heightened expectations from the previous season and the expectation that making the playoffs would be the norm for this team from now on.

The thing with me is that I'm able to brush aside my Oiler disappointment when watching OOT hockey. This Oiler season has been dead to me for a long time now so mentally, I've moved on from the Oilers for a while as far as this season is concerned but I can see why some would tune out hockey altogether.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Crazy how bad Tampa has looked 5v5 in this series yet they're 5 minutes away from the series being tied 2-2.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They should count that 3-2 goal as a PPG for tampa too, just to get the point across. What a ridiculous PK. Totally reminds me of us earlier last season, just everyone chasing the puck, no one in good position. Eakins swarm PK.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The game was pretty much WSH dominating, but not beating a goalie. 36 saves vs 16 saves. Vas just played an amazing game and did well at making himself be big

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Unpopular opinion but I don't really care much for Ovi getting a Cup. Would rather see Tampa get rewarded for being a consistently good team these past 4 years, reaching at least the Conference Finals in 3 of them.

Jets would be cool because of Laine but honestly I don't see them as that good of a team. They're having a great year but not so sure they'll have playoff success again next year. It's kinda crazy that Scheifele has more than twice the amount of goals than the next guy on his team, averaging almost a goal per game.

I think if not for Tampa I would prefer Vegas winning just because of the complete cinderella story year they're having. It would have to be up there with some of the most amazing feats in sports history if they'd win it. Being able to witness that would be kinda cool.

A Vegas - Tampa final would be very entertaining IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So who didn't see Tampa winning last night? I was virtually certain the Lightning would win, OV and the Caps would again fail to capitalize...(don't excuse pun)

I mean the Caps should have had this. Up 2-0 going home. What a disgrace this series is. Home fans have seen their team FAIL in every one of the games. From a fan pov this whole series is fail. Not a happy faces series for sure. Whatever happened to home ice advantage?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So who didn't see Tampa winning last night? I was virtually certain the Lightning would win, OV and the Caps would again fail to capitalize...(don't excuse pun)

I mean the Caps should have had this. Up 2-0 going home. What a disgrace this series is. Home fans have seen their team FAIL in every one of the games. From a fan pov this whole series is fail. Not a happy faces series for sure. Whatever happened to home ice advantage?
Ask the 2017 Oilers that. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unpopular opinion but I don't really care much for Ovi getting a Cup. Would rather see Tampa get rewarded for being a consistently good team these past 4 years, reaching at least the Conference Finals in 3 of them.

Jets would be cool because of Laine but honestly I don't see them as that good of a team. They're having a great year but not so sure they'll have playoff success again next year. It's kinda crazy that Scheifele has more than twice the amount of goals than the next guy on his team, averaging almost a goal per game.

I think if not for Tampa I would prefer Vegas winning just because of the complete cinderella story year they're having. It would have to be up there with some of the most amazing feats in sports history if they'd win it. Being able to witness that would be kinda cool.

A Vegas - Tampa final would be very entertaining IMO.

Playoff version Laine has been pretty disappointing. One wonders if the Jets would have gone far in the playoffs without the yeoman scoring contribution of Schiefele and even the acquired Stastny or Buffy having an out of body Chicago Black Hawks vintage type of year.

Laine scoring production is less than half of what it was in the regular season. Sitting frozen on a very stark 4 goals. That simply isn't good enough. That's riding coat tails.

I feel sorry for Scheifele, Wheeler, Buffy, who have given a very good account of themselves but theres no depth here. Theres a lot of non performances in these playoffs. No depth production. Its always the same guys. Laine particularly really needs to find some game or this is over.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad