2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That effort that a team gives when they're down 2-0 in a series and you know if you lose the next one you're done, like Tampa's situation last night. Vegas gets that effort every single game, for a whole season.

May never see anything like it again in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I must be atypical but I have had next to zero interest in the playoffs this season.

For sure a Final 4 of Tampa, Wash, Winn, Vegas leaves me stone cold. One would think this would be an NHL playoff ratings disaster as well with no big hockey markets involved and no Original 6 teams involved. Yet in Canada ratings for the Jets at least are apparently solid. The game is on right now, I could be watching it, I don't even care to. One of the reasons being as well is the outcomes are so inevitable. seems like every night whatever club front runs wins.

Also seems like the teams take turns being on top of their game. One team has the edge, than the other team. Seems to be only watching game 7 makes sense. The teams are treating these series like everything else is preliminary games.

meh, just had enough of hockey and sports for awhile.

Apparently Scheifele scored again, his 2nd of the night, 14th of the playoffs. Does anybody else score for Winnipeg in the playoffs? Laine?

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I must be atypical but I have had next to zero interest in the playoffs this season.

For sure a Final 4 of Tampa, Wash, Winn, Vegas leaves me stone cold. One would think this would be an NHL playoff ratings disaster as well with no big hockey markets involved and no Original 6 teams involved. Yet in Canada ratings for the Jets at least are apparently solid. The game is on right now, I could be watching it, I don't even care to. One of the reasons being as well is the outcomes are so inevitable. seems like every night whatever club front runs wins.

Also seems like the teams take turns being on top of their game. One team has the edge, than the other team. Seems to be only watching game 7 makes sense. The teams are treating these series like everything else is preliminary games.

Apparently Scheifele scored again, his 2nd of the night, 14th of the playoffs. Does anybody else score for Winnipeg in the playoffs? Laine?

Ha, go figure. I don't think I was ever as interested in the playoffs when the Oilers are out as I am for these two series this year.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
want to see the Jets lose soooooooo bad. They basically body swapped with the Oilers of last year and we were the Jets of last year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Honestly Winnipeg’s first line looks good but that’s about it, in this series.

I am surprised how ineffective Laine looks out there. He looks lost at times. But he sure has a great shot when he gets the puck. Series should be a cake walk for the jets, but for whatever reason it isn’t. The league doesn’t make much sense, especially this year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ha, go figure. I don't think I was ever as interested in the playoffs when the Oilers are out as I am for these two series this year.

To me its like all the finalists at the ball are unlikely contestants. NHL going through a transition of sorts what with Hawks and LA done and Pitts exhausted this season. Seems like an off playoffs. Maybe unsung underdog scripts don't move me as much anymore. 20 yrs ago I'd have been into this.

Whoever advances its going to be the most unlikely of Finals since Edmonton and Carolina in 2006.

I kind of like Winnipeg but its Fleury all day any day that is ruling. So much is riding on his goaltending.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly Winnipeg’s first line looks good but that’s about it, in this series.

I am surprised how ineffective Laine looks out there. He looks lost at times. But he sure has a great shot when he gets the puck. Series should be a cake walk for the jets, but for whatever reason it isn’t. The league doesn’t make much sense, especially this year.

kind of the way I feel. I did watch the 3rd after Schiefele scored. Jets were completely dominating every aspect of the game. All over the Knights and needing only a tying goal and Knights folding all over the place missing assignments. Only Fleury was holding them in it. Then Knights get one break out and Karlsson hits the post. Jets had a dozen chances and not one got by Fleury. Its the way its been the entire playoffs with Fleury always being the difference.

Are the Knights going to be a weird team of destiny like the 93 Habs? That's the last time I remember a goaltenders dominance making such a quantum difference.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
LOL @ the underdog narrative.

#1 seed in the Atlantic is playing the #1 seed in the Metro.
#1 seed in the Pacific is playing the #2 seed in the Central (who also happened to be the #2 team in the league this year)

This is a rare year where every team still in it deserves to still be in it.

Reactions: The Moose

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LOL @ the underdog narrative.

#1 seed in the Atlantic is playing the #1 seed in the Metro.
#1 seed in the Pacific is playing the #2 seed in the Central (who also happened to be the #2 team in the league this year)

This is a rare year where every team still in it deserves to still be in it.
With the proviso that NOBODY at the start of the season would have picked the Jets, Caps, and Knights to be 3/4 teams.

These are very unexpected results.

Its kind of a joke that an expansion club is probably going to win the cup. In the expansion year. I doubt even the NHL remotely intended that kind of result in the expansion draft.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Vegas is proof that at least half of the GMs in the league don't understand the sport well enough to be a GM in 2018. They got swindled by the guy who traded Forsberg for Erat. Or maybe it's just Dale Tallon who's the problem.

They're the only real surprise, though. I'd have picked Tampa to win their division, wouldn't have been surprised if you told me that Washington won theirs, and Winnipeg just needed a goalie to show up and they got it.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I have watched 3/4 of one playoff game since they started. Zero interest.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

This is the most exciting playoffs I've seen for years. I feel more attached than I did last year at this time that's for sure. Lots of stories this year as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Vegas is proof that at least half of the GMs in the league don't understand the sport well enough to be a GM in 2018. They got swindled by the guy who traded Forsberg for Erat. Or maybe it's just Dale Tallon who's the problem.

They're the only real surprise, though. I'd have picked Tampa to win their division, wouldn't have been surprised if you told me that Washington won theirs, and Winnipeg just needed a goalie to show up and they got it.
It goes back to the theory that why help out teams that are already established, just help out the lowly expansion team.

Seattle isn't going to get this type of help when it's their time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There's too many dumb GMs in the league... The Knights are proof of it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Different strokes for different folks. I think this is the most interesting Final 4 in years. Ovi going for a Cup, an expansion team that is highly entertaining and it's always interesting seeing Canadian teams go deep into the playoffs. Tampa I could do without but at least they play a high skilled, attacking game which is my preference.

It's nice not having one of the boring Caifornia teams, Chicago or Pittsburgh in it. The only thing that's missing for me is a villain, a team I truly hate and want to root against.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^In contrast I haven't had a more productive and active spring in decades. Getting a lot done and I think most of it is I didn't invest time in this playoffs so its like watching a series trying to watch it midstream. I have limited investment in any of these clubs.

Never liked OV or the Caps. Certainly not Tampa. The rebel in me likes what the Knights have done but primarily because it outs how silly most GM's are. But mostly its depressing knowing that a SC calibre team was put together on other teams expansion draft non protected list. Meanwhile we trade Taylor Hall for a D to improve the team. sigh.

The Jets being another model of an efficient way to build a team. They also have a lower cap than the lowly Oilers. Mostly watching this just hilites how inept the oilers org is and continues to be. I'm watching anything else, even Netflix on occasion. But mostly just working on outdoor projects and getting exercise.

One of the striking things is virtually none of the posters here are talking about playoffs or even posting at all. This is all relatively new.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
^In contrast I haven't had a more productive and active spring in decades. Getting a lot done and I think most of it is I didn't invest time in this playoffs so its like watching a series trying to watch it midstream. I have limited investment in any of these clubs.

Never liked OV or the Caps. Certainly not Tampa. The rebel in me likes what the Knights have done but primarily because it outs how silly most GM's are. But mostly its depressing knowing that a SC calibre team was put together on other teams expansion draft non protected list. Meanwhile we trade Taylor Hall for a D to improve the team. sigh.

The Jets being another model of an efficient way to build a team. They also have a lower cap than the lowly Oilers. Mostly watching this just hilites how inept the oilers org is and continues to be. I'm watching anything else, even Netflix on occasion. But mostly just working on outdoor projects and getting exercise.

One of the striking things is virtually none of the posters here are talking about playoffs or even posting at all. This is all relatively new.
That's nothing new. When you're lapped by an expansion team you should be embarrassed.

Honestly these playoffs just haven't been all that entertaining. There's no upsets, few overtimes.... Tons of storylines but those can only do so much when the games themselves are just alright. The intensity is there for sure but I'm not so sure the drama is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the most exciting playoffs I've seen for years. I feel more attached than I did last year at this time that's for sure. Lots of stories this year as well.
Last year I was drawn in because the Oilers made the playoffs for once. Nothing to draw one in like that.

Its basically like a surreal year. Karlsson hitting it out of the ballpark all season. Suddenly looking like a 50 goal scorer. Scheifele playing god. Fleury as JC. One wonders if there isn't a lot of lightning in a barrel going on. OV doing well is at least fathomable. Tampa doing well is probably expected. The Knights remain this unexplainable force. But at the same point about as improbable as the Carolina run in 2006 where just everything goes right. Its like theres no reason to watch the movie because I feel like I've seen the script or its clichéd. Every tired plot device of expect the unexpected is rolled out in these playoffs. Down 2-0 in a series losing both games at home? Not to worry, NHL improbability will have you back on your feet in no time. For instance who doesn't think Tampa isn't taking it tonight or still making it a long series? Even up 2-0 on road wins its hard to bet on the Caps.

One of the things is that I look at all of these teams other than Vegas and feel like they have shit the bed enough times that they are undeserving. So much up and downs of all the teams but Vegas in these playoffs. The Jets even talked about being demoralized when the Knights scored a couple goals. Resilience in game, just seems missing. What instead is going on is foregone outcomes where one team is better one night and then the other team doesn't get their act together until next game.

Put it this way. Tampa losing first 2 games of a Conference final at home. Is that SC worthy? Not in my impression. Do that and you SHOULD lose.

Jets bagging a big W in game one and then following up with two lacklustre losses. Again not deserving.

Caps needing long series to put down previous rounds and blowing a home advantage in this series after being up 2-0 in Tampa also seems odd.

The purist in me is wondering if any team actually grabs this cup or if its just a case of last team standing. Its all a little keystone cops to me. A bunch of finalists that don't really know what they are supposed to be doing at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad