2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well to be fair, the Coyotes looked better under Tippett because he's a very strict defensive coach and Mike Smith, while I think he is below average, is significantly better than Louis LOLmingue and Antti Raanta.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On paper their defence looks fantastic with OEL, Hjalmarsson, Demers, Goligoski, and then Chychrun when he gets healthy.

The problem is that forward corps .Yikes. They're counting on Keller, Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, and Crouse all producing at high rates and for Stepan to be the veteran leader. Keller is 18, Domi is 22, Duclair is 21, Dvorak is 21, and Crouse is 20. It's not a recipe for success. Youth is great to have but there comes a point where too much of it is a bad thing, just ask the Oilers. They haven't exactly surrounded them well, either.

Tobias Reider is 24, Jordan Martinook is 24, Brenden Perlini is 21, Christian Fischer is 20, and Nick Cousins is 23. They've got two regular forwards over the age of 25: Stepan and Brad Richardson. It's going to be a steep learning curve for the Coyotes this season and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they finish bottom-5 due to the inexperience of their lineup.
Another problem is Dylan Strome. He is/was supposed to become their franchise C and he's simply not developing at the rate that he should have. He's clearly and definitively trailing behind the rest of the top of his draft class. He was drafted after Eichel and in front of Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, etc. That's a huge letdown.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I mean the sample size "since Smith left" is only 6 games. Rantaa had some success in NY I think it's too early to write off the goaltending there as garbage despite a pretty awful start.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean the sample size "since Smith left" is only 6 games. Rantaa had some success in NY I think it's too early to write off the goaltending there as garbage despite a pretty awful start.

Its garbage today and at the end of this season I will say the same. That team is going knowhere with Uncle Raanta as the number one and nap boy loui as number two.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Another assist for Butcher. ****in patrick Roy.

Yeah he alone shows us that it was ultimately a good thing that we lost Patrick...

That is one huge fail that IMO solely rests on the shoulders of Saint Patrick...

We really could have used Will for our Powerplay. That would have been amazing :(

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah he alone shows us that it was ultimately a good thing that we lost Patrick...

That is one huge fail that IMO solely rests on the shoulders of Saint Patrick...

We really could have used Will for our Powerplay. That would have been amazing :(

He could easily QB our PP. When people said skating was going to hold him back at the NHL level I really thought he skated like Chris McCallister or something. I seriously dont see skating as a problem for him if im being honest.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He could easily QB our PP. When people said skating was going to hold him back at the NHL level I really thought he skated like Chris McCallister or something. I seriously dont see skating as a problem for him if im being honest.

Meh. There was a strong group think and soon to be ex-girlfriend mentality going on.

I never believed that he would come out of the gates like this but I also never quite understood why people were crapping on him while propping up Lindholm who IMO always was the inferior prospect.

But yeah I did not expect him to be that good that fast..

Ultimately he won't be able to keep up that pace but the kind of passes I have seen from him in the damn NHL on the powerplay is something that I would die to see an Avs Dman pull off...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still think it will limit him a lot on defense. He may be putting up shiny PP numbers, but pacing the blueline and pinching doesn't require the same skill set as when you're trying to defend.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The avs need less defensemen needing sheltering, rather than more defensemen needing sheltering

Well, it's not like the Devils have a defensive corps capable of doing much sheltering.

In any event I'm happy for him. Avs just gotta move on with what they got. Frankly it's still a pretty good defensive corps all things considered. Keep in mind one reason he's getting so many assists is because the forwards in front of him are playing insanely well and finishing at an ungodly rate. Plunk him onto Colorado's power play and I don't think he posts numbers that are nearly as good, and I don't think the Avs' power play is actually looking horrid at present.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well, it's not like the Devils have a defensive corps capable of doing much sheltering.

In any event I'm happy for him. Avs just gotta move on with what they got. Frankly it's still a pretty good defensive corps all things considered. Keep in mind one reason he's getting so many assists is because the forwards in front of him are playing insanely well and finishing at an ungodly rate. Plunk him onto Colorado's power play and I don't think he posts numbers that are nearly as good, and I don't think the Avs' power play is actually looking horrid at present.

He's still ridiculously sheltered. He's the 6th D there, who is channeling his inner MAB on the PP, we'll see if it lasts and if he improves at ES where he looks lost at times.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Noticed that Drouin is listed as 6'0 203 lbs on nhl.com. That poutine diet really helps, it seems.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Plunk him onto Colorado's PP and he could be what turns our PP around. A really good pp QB can make a big difference.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Is there a website that lists what team drafted a player and where they are now without having to look at each individual player?

Eg

Colorado Roster:

Player / Drafted By

Columbus Roster:

Player / Drafted by

Etc.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

They don't, but that's still what is taking place in New Jersey. He's heavily sheltered and plays a ton of PP minutes.

Good on him for taking advantage, I don't think he'll keep it up and when he does eventually hit a wall and isn't producing, it'll be interesting to see what the Devils do with him because he is very suspect at 5v5.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So a PP QB isn't that important to the success of a PP?

We havent had a legit PP QB since Bourque retired lol. Liles maybe. Butcher makes a lot of smart FAST passes to teammates who are always ready for the pass. Almost like they practice it or something. When he gets the chance to shoot he does but its hardly ever a wind up he just puts it in an are where teammate sticks will be and not at the opposition leg. Hopefully Makar can be that guy for us in a few years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad