Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think to be a contender, you really need like at least 2 guys that are Art Ross, Norris, Vezina level. Look at Pitts, Tampa, Nashville and former cup winners.

Flames have only 1 guy that can be at that level so to makeup for it, they need depth depth depth. So that’s why I think they need another 60pt 2nd line center to really compete.
Where can you get a 60 pts C without giving up crucial assests? Oh right, draft....

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I always felt Gaudette this year looked like he was a better prospect than Donato, the Donato goes and puts up 1G 2 A in his first game. Boston is touching a lot of gold theses days.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
I always felt Gaudette this year looked like he was a better prospect than Donato, the Donato goes and puts up 1G 2 A in his first game. Boston is touching a lot of gold theses days.

They nailed that 2014 draft. Only 5 picks but they were steals
rYy5wcz.jpg

Reactions: donut and timw33

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
2006, yes. Jeff Gorton kicked all kinds of ass at the draft table and then signed Chara and Savard in FA the next week before abdicating the GM post to Peter Chiarelli on July 15th. Benning was signed by Boston on July 25th, it seems

The 44-year-old Benning served as the Buffalo Sabres' director of amateur scouting before Chiarelli hired him July 25, 2006.

Reactions: vancityluongo

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It’s really an unsolved mystery that Boston scouting sucked from 2006-2014. Nobody really ever figured out why.

Their 3 most successful picks over that span: Seguin (taken 2nd overall in a no brainer Tyler/Taylor 1/2) traded for character reasons for a terrible package, Hamilton (taken 9th overall) traded for character reasons for a decent package, and (LOL) Joe Colbourne.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It’s really an unsolved mystery that Boston scouting sucked from 2006-2014. Nobody really ever figured out why.

Actually 2007-2013. Hired by Boston in July 2006 (after the draft) and left before 2014 draft.

Coincidentally (?) 2006 was an outstanding draft (Marchand, Lucic) and 2014 is looking amazing as well.

Starships

Jul 1, 2014
Actually 2007-2013. Hired by Boston in July 2006 (after the draft) and left before 2014 draft.

Coincidentally (?) 2006 was an outstanding draft (Marchand, Lucic) and 2014 is looking amazing as well.

Well its good thing then that buffalo had excellent drafting from 1998-2004 and most experts and fans alike consider the canucks to have done quite well in that department from around, what year was it again? 2014? Especially relative to there previous regimes ineptitude in that area.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well its good thing that buffalo had excellent drafting from 1998-2004 and most people consider the canucks to have done quite well in that department from around, what year was it again? 2014? Especially relative to there previous regimes ineptitude in that area.

By what standard have they done quite well? Where would you rank them in drafting since 2014 among the other 30 teams and how did you measure this?

Starships

Jul 1, 2014
By what standard have they done quite well? Where would you rank them in drafting since 2014 among the other 30 teams and how did you measure this?

This is my last response as I don't wish to derail a thread as most people who engage in discussions(or passive aggressive arguments more commonly)here tend to do, but to put it simply I would say when it comes to extra round draft picks hes outperformed every other team that has been going through a rebuilding process since 2014.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This is my last response as I don't wish to derail a thread as most people who engage in discussions(or passive aggressive arguments more commonly)here tend to do, but to put it simply I would say when it comes to extra round draft picks hes outperformed every other team that has been going through a rebuilding process since 2014.
I’m sorry how many of his “late picks” are actually contributing to the Canucks current roster.

Oh yeah that’s right, zero.

Reactions: Hit the post

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

:laugh:

Nice that you made the constrained area one that isn't easy to determine. What is an 'extra round draft pick'? What teams are 'going through a rebuilding process since 2014'? Why are we limiting this to 2014? What metric are you using to determine 'outperformed'?

Post raises more questions than it answers.

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad